So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Havent started yet (actually havent even been in a GA plane yet...) but I just got 2 hours of training as a gift from my inlaws for Christmas, so I will be starting soon!

Just got the approval for my CFI ride. DPE is pretty booked out, so looks like about the second week of January, with my multi ride about the same time.

Today was a second cancelled flight due to IFR conditions (LZU). Looks like better weather after Christmas.

Finally got up today. Did touch and go's. Had my first really nice unassisted landing. Felt good!

I've got a little over 30 hours in and am ready for my solo cross country work. Training plane is down for its annual so I'm kind of stuck. Anyone ever switched planes before? The club I'm in has two archers that I could use but I would need to get checked out in them.

Otherwise, I've already passed my written, need a little bit more hood time and some more night landings is all that's left before check ride prep. Hoping to get my check ride done early this spring.

Winter has been bad and stalled my training some. I went like twice in 6 weeks, and the first lesson after that was dreadful. Went back the next week, and the CFI now says I am ready for my mock check ride. What a difference a week makes. So what happens now? Mother nature may drop a blizzard on me. :(

I'm scheduling in my spin training for my CFI training. After that, hopefully only a few more flights in the Arrow then I'll schedule my CFI ride!

I'm scheduling in my spin training for my CFI training. After that, hopefully only a few more flights in the Arrow then I'll schedule my CFI ride!

How many arrow hours do you have ? I think I was sub 10 before I took CFI-A. Maybe right at 10.

11 hours since New Year's Eve. Still figuring out what all the nifty buttons and dials do. :)

I have around 20 I think. About 15 was for my commercial ride.

I should have been more specific but you answered my question. I was thinking right seat Arrow time. You gave me the answer though.

No longer a student for the time being! Passed my multi commercial ride on Saturday and my CFI ride yesterday! It's still sinking in...

No longer a student for the time being! Passed my multi commercial ride on Saturday and my CFI ride yesterday! It's still sinking in...
Congrats! I should be taking my CFI ride in a few weeks. I would love to read write up

I guess I'll chime in here too only a year and half after this thread was originally started (by a fellow West Virginian at that) but still seems to be going strong. Doing my training at a very small field surrounded by trees with the coolest old-timer for an instructor. Did my first solo a few weeks ago, have since made my first (short) trip to a nearby (pretty busy) airfield all by my lonesome. The weather has not been cooperating much lately so I haven't flown all that much since my solo. Unfortunately my job has me travelling A LOT (just under ten months a year) and is about to get back into full swing here in the next couple weeks so it's looking like 1-2 flights per week at best with the weather not being too difficult.

Well after a three week break due to WX and a misbehaving magneto, I finally got to solo today! It wasn't nearly as nerve wracking as I expected. Although it felt quite odd not having someone in the right seat....

I found a bad mag the day of my PPL check ride. Thinking it couldn't get any worse, the DPE didn't show up because there was a scheduling error. No plane. No DPE. Are bars open at 10AM? On a positive note I didn't have to spend any money that day and passed my check ride the following week. All is well in the universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a little low on the totem pole. How about a bump.

Took and passed my PPL Airplane test today.

Edit: written, portion.

Last edited:
Scheduled my checkride
today.

Student pilot ... ~15 hours ... 3 hours solo ... all local / pattern work with no cross-country yet.

I just passed my IFR written! Four more lessons and hopefully I will be taking a checkride. I will be happy when I dont have to fly with foggles!!

I just passed my IFR written! Four more lessons and hopefully I will be taking a checkride. I will be happy when I dont have to fly with foggles!!

I have my first official instrument lesson tomorrow. Going to try and fly 2-3 times a week, no real hurry though.

Still grinding gears on my training. Slow start with CFI and airplane scheduling, thanks to a 100hr maintenance that came up right when I was trying to get started. Currently trying to schedule 3days every week, with expectation that weather or other conflicts might cancel one from time to time.

Finally got my first solo cross country flight in this morning, waited 2 weeks for weather! 42.6(7.1 solo) logged to date, written done and out of the way! Everything learned is coming together now!:yes:

New guy here. I flew solo today in my instructor's 172 based at LPC in Lompoc, CA. This was technically my second solo flight. My first was in May, 1995. My first solo was after about 11 hours. After a 20 year hiatus (to the day) I started back up with my current instructor, a former Marine A-4 pilot and 35+ year airliner Captain. I logged 5.7 hours over the last 3 weeks before he sent me off on my own today. Anyway, it's nice reading about the experiences of others on this forum and I look forward to adding my own.

Total update: Flew as a kid of 16, had about 42.5 hrs back then (1980-ish), but never finished. Don't even remember why I quit.

Started back last year. Solo 2.0, 3 point XC, refresher time, Night flight, Hood time, et al

Passed the Written with a 98

Scheduled to do my 'End of Course' mock checkride with the school head instructor Thursday.

Then its off to the real checkride!

So weather and plane problems keep slowing me down. Yesterday should have been my 3rd solo flight. But the engine ran rough on the right mag so I taxied it back in to have it looked at.

I'm at 24.3 (11 of those hours are from over 10 years ago) with 2.6 solo.

So weather and plane problems keep slowing me down. Yesterday should have been my 3rd solo flight. But the engine ran rough on the right mag so I taxied it back in to have it looked at.

I'm at 24.3 (11 of those hours are from over 10 years ago) with 2.6 solo.
Sounds like a smart choice and good habit forming!

Always enjoy seeing this thread pop back up. I recently started my instrument training and am enjoying that. In a few days it will be my 1 year anniversary of my first discovery flight (April 3rd) and I also happened to be updating my electronic logbook. As of today I have 107 flying, 70.1 which are PIC. On my 3rd lesson of instrument and have set a goal to get that completed over this next year.

I'll probably set a goal each year of something aviation related and take the time and energy to accomplish it. There are so many fun things I want to do... gliders, tailwheel, multiengine, complex, helicopters ect.

Hi All - I have not posted recently - I think the last time was just after my solo. About 2 weeks ago (March 16) I completed my PPL checkride! Total time including the checkride was 53.3 hrs. Did most of my training in a 172, with a bit of time in a SR22 and Citabria. Since my PPL I also checked out in a DA40 so that is another rental option.

Enjoy the journey!

Vacuum pump broke on the Arrow today so the next time I fly will be on Monday which is the day before the checkride. Today gave me a good study day.

Waiting to do my checkride since it has been pushed back twice now. Now supposed to be on the April 14th.

Student Pilot / 16 hours / 2-3 more hours of solo work before I start x-country. Still in my making a lot of mistakes phase. :)

Began training for PPL March 16th.....8 hrs so far, weather has been horrible. All training has been in a C172, but I purchased a Cherokee 140/160 this week.

Did really well on the oral portion of the practice checkride, but weather blew the flight portion. Scheduled at 0900 tomorrow to do the flight portion. When (not if...) I pass that tomorrow, its time to call the DPE.

Back