So long, Jake

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I’m sorry to say Jake passed away Saturday morning.

As background, I had come on this site back in June of 2014 asking for help from any veterinarians here.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/any-veterinarians-on-this-site.71582/

JOhnH and timwinters and others stepped up with good advice, and Karen and I much appreciated all the kind wishes.

It was recommended that we take him to a Veterinarian School and Knoxville has one. His surgery on the mass on his tongue went well, but the biopsy showed a malignant melanoma, and he was given maybe 8 months on average to live whether or not we treated him proactively. We chose not to do anything and just enjoy whatever time we had with him.

I helped drive on a two day dog and cat rescue trip to NJ and NY this past Thursday/Friday. Karen was in Knoxville with a new grand baby. Jake seemed OK when I left, but over the last week or so had seemed just a little “off”, like something was bothering him. Friday night when I got home he wouldn’t take his evening biscuit, and he spent the night in some discomfort. By morning he was on his last legs and at about 7AM Saturday he drew his last breath with Karen talking to him soothingly on the speakerphone.

So far, I’m not as devastated as I thought I would be. Maybe it just hasn’t had a chance to sink in. Maybe we had about 2 1/2 years to be prepared. Maybe it was that it wasn’t a prolonged slide. And we both feel blessed that Jake never put us into the position of making that decision that pet lovers never want to have to make.

He’s now buried along with Coconut, Chewy and Rocky in our “Bury Patch”. Probably won’t be the last, and Karen and I both think it wouldn’t be a bad place for our ashes to end up.

Anyway…

The day I adopted him from Animal Control in 2005:

9345293758_3e70634a7b_z.jpg

He was my buddy, by my side through some hard times having just gone through a divorce and resettling in N GA from S FL.

33823236215_9bb94d9d3f_z.jpg

He’s responsible for thousands of smiles - everybody loves a dog in a sidecar!

7716611582_4a308fc271_z.jpg

Teaching Spot, a foster, how to look sophisticated and adorable at the same time:

15192914299_405f966406_z.jpg

Two cool dudes:

33667248992_29a47b3148_z.jpg

Two pooped pups in our travel trailer on a recent trip:

15021312783_8bc97bf191_z.jpg

We're both glad that Jake got to visit and play on our new property:

33438734080_938a8053b2_z.jpg

One of our most recent photos, last month with Halo:

33823174265_06479b22d2_z.jpg

Anyway, this too shall pass - and thanks again to everyone who cared.

sorry FastEddie. I know I'd have a hard time dealing with something like this.

Dogs become family, it's certainly not easy. Sorry to hear Eddie!

Sorry to hear.

Sorry for your loss, it is tough to say the least,

@FastEddieB, I am happy to hear that you got the extra time with Jake. He beat the odds, but nobody ever wins the game. You did your best for him and I know he appreciates you.

Sorry for your loss. Glad you had more time left than anticipated in 2014...

As the saying goes, who rescued who?

So sorry Eddie, it was very clear how much Jake meant to you.

Glad you were able to give him a chance when no one else would. You may have known it was coming eventually, but 11+ years is a good run no matter the breed. I'm sure he cherished his time with you and Karen as much as you enjoyed him. It appears he didn't suffer long, which is all you can ask for in such a situation.

He's over the rainbow bridge 'til you meet again!

Pets are a true member of the family....

I'm sorry for you loss. I do understand...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Sorry for your loss... I always thought of him and you when I would see other Chow mixes at the Dog Park.

Sorry to hear....it's hard to adjust to losing the joy they bring. It's good to remember the good times!

Jim

Sorry for your loss. I know how much I love my pup and know that I'll be tore up when he eventually dies.

Sorry for your loss...looks like a real character and I am sure he was grateful you came along in 2005 to rescue him...there is a special place for dogs like him.

Some of them are very special. I still can picture calling my boy, having him look at me, and slump to the ground. I held him as he passed, some kind of heart attack. He was an old great dane, the most special boy of my life.

It hurts forever.

That sucks, sorry.

And it's not just dogs. Hell, I was sad when our hamster hanged himself. He tried to climb out of the cage and ended up stuck by his neck. We found his lifeless body in the evening. But dogs are probably the hardest. I cried like a kid when I drove my 13 year old pitbull to the vet to get euthanized when she went into a continuous seizure. I was 33.

Sorry for your loss. It's always a risk we take when we choose to care...

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Awww man, I'm sorry to hear that Eddie. Jake looks like he had a great life with you!

Terribly sorry for your loss.. I had to put my dog down 3.5 years ago, and it still breaks my heart that he's not here

Feeling for you - very sorry to hear it.

Lost ours in January and we know what your going through....

Sorry to hear. Grew up with many dogs and it felt like a family member passing away everytime one passed away. Actually, they become much more than a family member....they are the only ones who loves u no matter what, without any expectation, unconditionally...even when u don't give them the love and respect they deserve

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My condolences Eddie. I'm glad you have such great memories (and pics) of Jake to share with us.

Sharing your pain, Eddie.

We lost our 10 y.o. Newfie, Timmy, yesterday to bloat. He would not have survived the surgery so we put him to sleep. My wife is devastated, and my son as well. They had to handle it alone.

He was a sweetheart. Never met a person he didn't like. I will miss his snoring.

Good dog. . .you'll meet up on the other side, man - all dogs go to heaven. I'll give my Lab an extra belly rub, in memory of him.

Dogs always give more than they get. Raise a glass in his honor!

Well, today marks one year since Jake passed away.

Of course I still miss him. But with 3 other dogs, losing him did not cause any great change in our daily routine. It was sad, but not as sad nor for as long as I had feared. Making me feel a bit guilty at first.

I will keep him as one of my screensavers. Every time I see it opening my iPad I smile a little.

40454237814_8c490cbb1e.jpg

My plan was to have my avatar honor him for a year - look for a change in that soon.

Anyway, thanks again for all the support, both when he had his tumor and at the end. It helped a lot.

Back