So, I guess I have to get a Cirrus...

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Wife wants comfort and safety (she's pretty much sold on the parachute idea, not to mention envelope protection, TAWS, all the goodies). Wifey also really likes the fact that Cirrus have the LATCH system to install car seats.

She's not a flyer so the fact that the inside of a Cirrus is basically like the inside of a sedan is another bonus.

Both of us are well above FAA standard size and we have two kiddos to put in the back. So we need a 4-place that will carry 700-800 lbs in the cabin after putting gas in the plane.

Now I just need $800k...

Don't know if I can convince her that flying a Lance or Saratoga might be a more economical option (by a landslide). She's pretty hung up on the Cirrus. Which basically means, I won't be owning a plane anytime soon. :cryin:

NEVER EVER tell the non-flying spouse about the Cirrus.

I hear they don't absorb rear impacts real well.

Wife wants comfort and safety (she's pretty much sold on the parachute idea, not to mention envelope protection, TAWS, all the goodies). Wifey also really likes the fact that Cirrus have the LATCH system to install car seats.

She's not a flyer so the fact that the inside of a Cirrus is basically like the inside of a sedan is another bonus.

Both of us are well above FAA standard size and we have two kiddos to put in the back. So we need a 4-place that will carry 700-800 lbs in the cabin after putting gas in the plane.

Now I just need $800k...

Don't know if I can convince her that flying a Lance or Saratoga might be a more economical option (by a landslide). She's pretty hung up on the Cirrus. Which basically means, I won't be owning a plane anytime soon. :cryin:

Problem solved

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/aircraft/Single+Engine+Piston/2004/Cirrus/SR22/2155724.html

And I think "mile highing" is prohibited in the limitations section of the POH.

Too bad, for that kind of money you could have got a really nice plane.

Anyway to have you wife take some lessons from a high time CFI and get a little more education on what makes a flight safe?

Now I just need $800k...

Wives have sold far more Cirrus aircraft than any salesman. You don't need $800k, the SR-22 series has depreciated rapidly. You can get an older SR-22 with a fresh chute for the price of a nice Lance or Saratoga.

If it was me, I'd look for a six pack SR-22 that already had the chute repack done, had 1000-1200 on the engine, and hadn't been upgraded to WAAS. You can find this in good condition for $125k. Then upgrade the panel with a G-600/GTN-750/650 set. For $200k you can be in a nice SVT SR-22 with a better interface and radio set than the G-1000.

I'm on my second Cirrus in two years. Started with SR20 and moved up to a SR22. Now I want something faster - but thats another story.

I have a car seat in mine that fits really nice. Great plane, fun to fly. You'll catch a lot of grief from the haters, but don't let that slow you down one bit.

As usual, Henning is spot on. I found a nice 05 with the Avidyne R9 (which is pretty freaking awesome) A/C with 350 since overhaul for about 230K... it went quick!

I am also flying a brand new SR22 as well and it's really sweet. No doubt. But the owner paid 722K for it. And for that money I would get something else. That's just my 2 cents.

Ours it pretty comfy and cost less than 150.
But we don't have glass pfd or de icing, a/c etc..

I'm on my second Cirrus in two years. Started with SR20 and moved up to a SR22. Now I want something faster - but thats another story.

I have a car seat in mine that fits really nice. Great plane, fun to fly. You'll catch a lot of grief from the haters, but don't let that slow you down one bit.

As usual, Henning is spot on. I found a nice 05 with the Avidyne R9 (which is pretty freaking awesome) A/C with 350 since overhaul for about 230K... it went quick!

I am also flying a brand new SR22 as well and it's really sweet. No doubt. But the owner paid 722K for it. And for that money I would get something else. That's just my 2 cents.

For that kind of money you can get a way safer day VFR plane, C180, A185, heck DHC2.

Safer. Better. Have your wife read this.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86346

For most folks a A185 plus specialized training from experienced backcountry guys, all WAY under budget compared to your Cirrus, WILL yield a safer flight for wifie

Go for used,buy an air spray,with new airplane smell. Some good deals out there on used SR22s ,just make sure the chute repac has been done.

Didn't know Cirrus had envelope protection. Nifty.

My wife doesn't know about Cirrus. Shhh, nobody tell her!

You can get a nice 2006 sr22 with tks and ac for less than 300k.

My wife liked the cirrus but couldn't fit our family of 5 so she said it's a no-go and we got a T206H. It will be here on the 15th. The chute wasn't event a consideration for her since they all have to hit the ground sometime and she would rather glide in than float in. I guess someone got to get before I did!

My wife doesn't know about Cirrus. Shhh, nobody tell her!

Neither did mine until Fox News showed the video of that ferry pilot deploying the chute on the way to Hawaii. Now she insists on a plane with a chute. Oh, and she's afraid to fly and has never flown with me.

Heck, I have a Cirrus and my wife is still afraid. I think they are working on an STC for a BRS chute on the 206. They have one for the 182, so that could also be an option for you.

Heck, I have a Cirrus and my wife is still afraid. I think they are working on an STC for a BRS chute on the 206. They have one for the 182, so that could also be an option for you.

586.gif

If you're thinking about parachutes - Citabria, Pitts or Extra. You'll have two 'chutes, more fun and plenty of money left over for 100LL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have her check out a Meyers 200D. Do a little research and show her.

They are built around a steel roll cage and have one of the best survivability records in the biz.

Plus they are fast. Very fast. They're Bo killers.

aero-commander-meyers-200D-fsx2.jpg

Edit in: I don't think there has been a single AD issued on the Meyers200D. :wink2:

Last edited:
If you do get a Cirrus make sure you brief everyone on how to enter and exit the aircraft and make sure no one kneels or leans on the seats.

Go for used,buy an air spray,with new airplane smell. Some good deals out there on used SR22s ,just make sure the chute repac has been done.

As I understand it, the repack is a fixed price item depending on the year of the plane. Compared with the box of chocolates you can get with an avionics refit or a paint-job on a legacy plane, the chute repack is not something I would be afraid of. It just has to be priced into the plane.

Have her check out a Meyers 200D. Do a little research and show her.

They are built around a steel roll cage and have one of the best survivability records in the biz.

Plus they are fast. Very fast. They're Bo killers.

aero-commander-meyers-200D-fsx2.jpg

Edit in: I don't think there has been a single AD issued on the Meyers200D. :wink2:

They're also tough to find for sale and bring a premium. I know a guy with one here at FXE with one that he might part with for enough money.

They're also tough to find for sale and bring a premium. I know a guy with one here at FXE with one that he might part with for enough money.

Meyers are not out there like popcorn that's for sure. A good one will set you back $100K or more I would imagine.

A few owners are plugging in IO-550's with the GAMI's and all the bells and whistles turning them into 200+ knot screaming eagles.

I did a lot of reading and looking thinking I wanted one. They have one of the cleanest gear up belly profiles in the air. Very smooth almost like composite.

314-eFLYER-FA01-42.jpg

If you do get a Cirrus make sure you brief everyone on how to enter and exit the aircraft and make sure no one kneels or leans on the seats.

Good advice in general but it takes a lot of kneeling to crush the honeycomb substantially. Costs less than $100 to replace when warranted.

On a related note, my hangar neighbor (who owns an older Baron) was checking out my SR22 and noticed the HVAC (incl. air conditioning) controls and goes 'oh don't let my wife see that comfy cabin and that AC!'

The Cirrus aircraft certainly do play well to non-pilots - the parachute, the creature comforts of the cabin, the big windows and great visibility, the simplified panel and side stick out of the way (less concern from pax of accidentally touching a control or button that would obviously lead to a catastrophic crash), the two doors that allow for easy car-like in/outgress, the modern design, the big moving map, etc... all help. We, on this site, are all comfortable in a ratty old Cessna or Piper older than us, but for those not bitten by the aviation bug and who may be a little bit nervous about being in a small plane, these comforting attributes carry a lot of weight.

My wife liked the cirrus but couldn't fit our family of 5 so she said it's a no-go and we got a T206H. It will be here on the 15th. The chute wasn't event a consideration for her since they all have to hit the ground sometime and she would rather glide in than float in. I guess someone got to get before I did!
I guess no one told you that the G5 offered 5 seats and a 200lb MGW increase?

I guess no one told you that the G5 offered 5 seats and a 200lb MGW increase?

I said three kids. Not 3 infants!! There is no way three normal size people could sit back there comfortably for a couple hour flight.

Words that I thought I would never see in writing. :rofl:

I said three kids. Not 3 infants!! There is no way three normal size people could sit back there comfortably for a couple hour flight.

Actually you'd be surprised. I took the new 22 up to Memphis the other day. Two adults up front. In back 2 adults that were above average size, and one girl adult in the middle...

Not saying it was great but they didn't seem to have any problems.

Just get the Lance or Toga and buy her a Parachute.

Tell her she can jump out when the engine stops.

Back