Skywagon Year-in Review

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I just completed my first Skywagon annual and thought I'd do a write-up on what year one has been like on a Cessna restoration. To see the story of my purchase of the aircraft and the long journey it has been you can see it here:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/mtns2skies-new-plane.108621/

I purchased the plane "as-is" with ~2500 hours TT, and it's rare to see an unmolested Skywagon these days. Mine has a stock wing, stock fuselage, stock engine and interior, very much like it came from Cessna... for better or worse. I fully intend to preserve that... but "River" as I named her needed some updating.

*purchased Winter of 2018, living in NoCo at the time*

Installed external intercom & PTT switches

Mx trip 1:
  1. New tires/tubes, & brake pads all the way around
  2. Reskinned upper surface of the right flap due to large crack/gash in it

Avionics trip 1:

1. Xpnder was inop when purchased, unplugged and re-plugged to make it work again (go figure)
  2. Entirely new static system to eliminate leaks and get it IFR certified
  3. removed ADF & antenna
  4. panel mounted Aera 660
  5. Installed LED Beacon
  6. Removed spare altimeter
  7. replace broken clock
  8. replaced inop compass
Mx trip 2:
  1. There was SIGNIFICANT slop in the elevator control when purchased and trim wasn't working correctly
  2. Full tail rebuild (bushings re-rigging etc)
  3. Jackscrew servicing
  4. Cut Aeropod inspection panels in tail
  5. Cut Cessna jackscrew service kit inspection panel in tail
  6. Cessna factory pull handles installed
  7. Cessna factory jump seats installed
  8. Leaky gascolator rebuilt
  9. Install remaining LED lights

*Move to Wisconsin summer of 2018*

Avionics trip 2:
  1. Purchased and replaced failing AI.
  2. Shop diagnosed and attempted to repair failing Narco radios and marker beacon.
  3. Intermittent, uncommanded transmit continued on one radio.

Mx trip 4:
  1. Cowl flap cracked and remained stuck in the "open" position, required doubler plate
Mx trip 3:
Safety upgrades:

1. BAS Harnesses installed
  2. 406 ELT installed
  3. JPI730 installed
  4. Reiff Engine heater installed
Fall of 2018 Instrument upgrade:
Most Narco equipment in plane had crapped out, IR training was no longer possible:

1. Uninstall entire Narco radio stack
  2. Discovered illegally (and dangerously) installed piper autopilot
  3. Removed autopilot
  4. Tested and replaced ALL aircraft antennae
  5. Installed GMA342
  6. Installed GTX327
  7. Installed GNC255
  8. Installed GTR225
  9. Wired aircraft for intercom for new audio panel
  10. installed PTT switches in yokes
  11. Wires ELT to remote panel switch

Annual 2019:

1. Installed GDL82
  2. Replace Sparkplugs
  3. Corrosion-X wings
  4. Fix the Cessna co-pilot stow rudder pedal feature
  5. Vernier Mixture installed
  6. ALL aircraft air hoses replaced... ALL of them were original to 1970
  7. New Exhaust installed
  8. Extended baggage cover quarter turns replaced
  9. Seat rail replacement
  10. New ignition, locks and keys
  11. Avionics air vents removed
  12. Fire extinguisher mounted
  13. Resealed both brake calipers
  14. Replaced brake lines at the master cylinder
  15. Firewall lightweight sealed battery mod
  16. PlanePower Alternator
  17. Replacement Voltage regulator
  18. Misc other typical annual things.
  19. Mixture enrichen on carb

So all in all I've been pouring my heart, soul and wallet into this airplane and I love it. I love being able to see the improvement and knowing how solid my airplane is. I love being a perfectionist with it. I love being anal about fixing things that probably don't REALLY need to be fixed. I strive to have a perfect airplane and I'm well on my way.

It still looks pretty much the same as when I bought it, but I'm quite confident it's mechanically sound and only going to get more sound. I've also begun to start amassing Skywagon specific components for any issues I may have in the future (tailspring, prop)

Up next on the list is:

1. Solidify engine fund
  2. Interior (going to be Selkirk w/ Vinyl floor)
  3. Vacuum system removal via G5 installation
  4. Paint

The to-do list is a tiny fraction of what it was when I bought the aircraft and even with all the downtime it has had I still managed to fly it just under 200 hours last year. The airplane now weighs about 60lbs less than when I bought it with an empty weight now at 1680. The vacuum system and interior should get it even lower hopefully down to 1650.

River's a great airplane and I intend to be the best caretaker of the aircraft I can be.

Last edited:
This is awesome! Thanks for writing this out. I'm on a similar journey, although less to do, on my 170. I just got my BAS harnesses and tailpull handles delivered to the office today.

This is awesome! Thanks for writing this out. I'm on a similar journey, although less to do, on my 170. I just got my BAS harnesses and tailpull handles delivered to the office today.
I thought at the start of this... it's a single engine Cessna with fixed (spring) gear, one engine and manual flaps, it's a simple airplane what could there be to do... Boy was I wrong :D.

I couldn't imagine maintaining an RG, or a turbo or a twin to the same level of rigor I (try to) maintain my plane.

Last edited:
When you say you panel mounted the 660 is that via an Air Gizmo dock? Or did you surface mount it?

Do you have pictures?

Last edited:
Wow - that looks great! Thanks for the writeup.

I thought at the start of this... it's a single engine Cessna with fixed (spring) gear, one engine and manual flaps, it's a simple airplane what could there be to do... Boy was I wrong :D.

I couldn't imagine maintaining an RG, or a turbo or a twin to the same level of rigor I (try to) maintain my plane.

Great write up M2S! If I owned your Skywagon I'd be treating it similarly.

If you can't imagine maintaining a twin similarly I'll have to do a post like yours itemizing all the age related stuff I've been bringing up to standard one system at a time over recent years on the Aztec. :) It's in annual right now, so in a week or two once we are done with this year's "investment" instalment I'll do that.
I haven't started on my panel yet, so I'm envious of your progress in such a short time. :thumbsup:

The "simple" single-engine, fixed gear, manual flaps Husky is also on its own program of replacing stuff. Age related again, and mostly anything made of rubber or plastic - all the hoses, seals, that sort of thing. It adds up quickly, as you know :D

...The to-do list is a tiny fraction of what it was when I bought the aircraft...

Hope springs eternal. :D Like the rest of us you will be in a constant battle with the every changing temptations of Garmin, your easy access to see first hand new Oshkosh week goodies being revealed, the siren song of the Skywagon owners chat board, and other compelling sources of information about "essential new stuff" for the 180. ;)

After cruising the Husky owners site I'm completely blown away by the gazillions of AMUs that some other owners spend on these simple rag-and-tube airplanes. Shock absorbing main gear, composite tailsprings, the list is freaking endless. With the exception of the remote oil filter mount and an oil pan heater, mine is dead stock...and likely to stay that way.

...and even with all the downtime it has had I still managed to fly it just under 200 hours last year...

THAT is damned impressive!

Of all the cool stuff you’ve done to the plane, here is the lamest question: what did you replace the broken clock with?

Really, our retract system has been one of the most reliable systems on the airplane. Completely trouble-free except for when some, uh, "energetic" kids were looking at it and managed to engage the emergency extension clutch, which bound everything up when I went to retract the gear. Quick trip to the shop fixed that, and it's still got a perfect record of needing exactly zero parts for the gear retract system.

But, that's because it's NOT a Cessna. :eek:

Looking forward to experiencing this magnificent bird in <checks watch> a few hours! <heads for bed>

One of the things that the top Twin Cessna mechanic in the country said is "We are in a state of constant restoration." That's always true for these old birds, and your experience sounds very familiar to what I'm now doing for the 4th time, having started with the Aztec. The MU-2 is by far in the best existing condition of any plane I've become caretaker of, which is good because it would otherwise bankrupt me. :D

Still, these machines need constant feeding. You've found a great blend of a plane that does everything you need and want it to do. I think you got a good one, in spite of some of the issues you've had to deal with. The first year of aircraft ownership is always eye opening, but the good news is that after a few years you do really tend to get to the point of just keeping up after the little things and putting fuel in it - like the last year was for me with the 310. Also, given how you've made your panel, a GPS 175 or GNX 375 might be good considerations for you when you're ready to add WAAS GPS/LPV capability and file /G. But with most of your flying being VFR, the Area 660 does the job for now.

Keep it up!

I got caught up on my logbook from slacking a bit and I think it's appropriate to note that I crossed 500 hours TT on the way to annual. On the way back from annual I now officially have more tailwheel hours than nosewheel hours.

@Mtns2Skies - thanks for sharing the writeup on all the things you've been doing to the plane!!! It sure would be cool to say Hi and see your plane sometime!

Other than OSH, do the Wisconsin POA'ers get together routinely? I would love to meet up with yourself, @Radar Contact and some of the other Wisconsin flyers if there was a meetup somewhere more central to WI? I'm located near the Twin Cities and I am pretty sure @WannFly would join from KFAR if the wx is decent.

If it works out with our schedules, I'm in! Down in Tx right now picking up the plane, flying it home tomorrow, change the oil and off to Sun n Fun, bring it right back for the annual and then I'm in. :) Are you going to the POA KY fly-in @Sinistar ?

@Mtns2Skies - thanks for sharing the writeup on all the things you've been doing to the plane!!! It sure would be cool to say Hi and see your plane sometime!

Other than OSH, do the Wisconsin POA'ers get together routinely? I would love to meet up with yourself, @Radar Contact and some of the other Wisconsin flyers if there was a meetup somewhere more central to WI? I'm located near the Twin Cities and I am pretty sure @WannFly would join from KFAR if the wx is decent.

We do need to get together more often! There's several more of us as well.

If people aren't averse to grass, we could get together at 40D (Three Lakes, near Rhinelander). Definitely open to other suggestions too. Have you all done the Friday lunches at 68C (Iola)? That's a great experience.

If it works out with our schedules, I'm in! Down in Tx right now picking up the plane, flying it home tomorrow, change the oil and off to Sun n Fun, bring it right back for the annual and then I'm in. :) Are you going to the POA KY fly-in @Sinistar ?
Wow, this would be cool to meetup someplace in Wisconsin! Depending on the timing, my wife might join so if Jamie(sp?) tags along there might be another woman there for her to chat with. Also, at our local airport we have the absolutely coolest gal, I think she's gonna be a senior in HS. She's learning to fly in her Dad's Cherokee 180. At our last fun flight I asked what she wants to do and her answer........Air Traffic Controller!!! Man would it be cool for her to meet you and/or your wife.

Probably will not be able to make the KY fly-in but I will keep working on it.

I'll start a separate thread for a WI get together and stop derailing @Mtns2Skies thread....sorry @Mtns2Skies

We do need to get together more often! There's several more of us as well.

If people aren't averse to grass, we could get together at 40D (Three Lakes, near Rhinelander). Definitely open to other suggestions too. Have you all done the Friday lunches at 68C (Iola)? That's a great experience.

Ooh. It's been a couple years since I've been to Friday lunch in Iola. I'd be game to meet up for that given a couple weeks notice so I could take the day off.

Tim

Back