Mtns2skies' New Plane

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Well... I bought a plane!
It must be PoA Moderator aircraft buying week. @Everskyward your turn!

Picked up a 1970 Cessna 180H Skywagon from a farm outside of Detroit this morning. I'm currently in a hotel in Kansas City going to see @Ted DuPuis 's new airplane tomorrow! Then back home to the Colorado mountains. I LOVE this airplane. It takes off at ~30mph, has amazing control harmony and cruises at 140KTAS. I cant believe its MINE!!!! I'll make sure I treat her right - and I'm never selling it. I'll be 75 years old when it turns 100 and I'll make sure its still flying.

If you need a refresher on how devastated I was 3 weeks ago:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/well-i-almost-bought-a-plane.108021/

Ever since I was 13 years old I dreamed of owning an airplane, every decision I made in life was based around the prospects of owning. I can honestly say I have my dream plane. Last week I turned 23 years old - a decade after discovering my passion.

Well here it is! More pics to come tomorrow including panel.

IMG_20180201_095350.jpg IMG_20180201_123300.jpg
IMG_20180201_174923.jpg
IMG_20180201_195852.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180201_095350.jpg
    IMG_20180201_095350.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Heck ya! Congrats, Austin! Interior shots soon..k?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is awesome!

Original paint scheme! Love it!!
and original N#. When it gets repainted I'm keeping the original scheme and using the dark green on the tail instead of the faded teal. - I'm a sucker for original. No STOL kit or speed mods and it certainly doesn't need them!

Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!

Dude, I'm pumped for you. I've been waiting to see what you wind up with, and it looks like a fine machine. You struck me as an exceptional young man, and I'm glad you've realized a major part of your dream. Congratulations.

Congrats!
Finding a good 180 is not easy.
Happy to hear you persisted and found the right one.
How did you find it? Word of mouth? Listed with a broker? Private sale?

Are you flying it to Montana this spring?

How did you find it? Word of mouth? Listed with a broker? Private sale?
I kid you not... this facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/133197020734763/
(For those of you that dont facespace that's the Cessna 180/182/185/210 Exchange)

I commented on it first and the seller actually held the airplane for me. The post was last Friday and I commented first. He gave me a call the next day and I had plane tickets booked that day. He had over 15 other people ask to look at the plane and other even offer to come out last Sunday and Monday but he was nice enough to give me the first crack at it. I think it also helps that I'm young...

Reactions: Ted
Now thats a purdy Skywagon! Congratulations.

I agree on keeping the original paint scheme. My 57 182 had a real nice paint job when I bought it or it would be original too.

I kid you not... this facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/133197020734763/
(For those of you that dont facespace that's the Cessna 180/182/185/210 Exchange)

I commented on it first and the seller actually held the airplane for me. The post was last Friday and I commented first. He gave me a call the next day and I had plane tickets booked that day. He had over 15 other people ask to look at the plane and other even offer to come out last Sunday and Monday but he was nice enough to give me the first crack at it. I think it also helps that I'm young...

Well done.
And after all the PoA stories about bad buy/sell experiences, nice to hear yours, and that there are some honourable folks out there.

Many sincere congratulations! Mostly for achieving the dream you've had for half your life. May all your aviation dreams come true!

Where ya gonna park it? We need to start planning another POA meet?

Wing is in the wrong place. Nose wheel is way out of whack. It'll never fly. That farmer is laughing at you. (just couldn't stand all the positive comments - gotta balance things just a bit)

The 180 is one of those planes that just looks "right." Your's sure does!

Congrats!

That's awesome!! Congrats on a beautiful plane. I'm a little older than you at 27 (who says GA is dying :D) and looking at getting the baby version (120/140) of yours here in the next year or so. Get some takeoff/landing videos when you get back home with it.

CONGRATS!!!
Looks Great!!

Great plane. Even with the tail looking weird. Congrats! And a long trip to bring it home is just fun.

Well done! Beautiful plane!

I too started to fly at age 13 (although my airplane obsession was already a decade old at the time) but I wasn’t able to buy my first plane until I hit 30! I wished I could at 23!

Congrats! I'm glad it worked out and I hope you have a great flight back to CO. I look forward to seeing it at the next CO POA gathering.

Dean

Congratulations! It looks great. I sold a 185 a a couple of years ago, still miss that plane.

Congrats! And welcome to the club as Stewart said, skywagons are awesome planes!

suggestion, there's the skywagon club and they have a great manual of all the things they have learned, well worth getting if you don't already have it.

Also BAS inertia reel belts, with how the flaps and trims and everything are laid out in the wagons, it's something that will not only increase comfort, but might very well save your life.

Back