Mtns2skies' New Plane

Well... I bought a plane!
It must be PoA Moderator aircraft buying week. @Everskyward your turn!

Picked up a 1970 Cessna 180H Skywagon from a farm outside of Detroit this morning. I'm currently in a hotel in Kansas City going to see @Ted DuPuis 's new airplane tomorrow! Then back home to the Colorado mountains. I LOVE this airplane. It takes off at ~30mph, has amazing control harmony and cruises at 140KTAS. I cant believe its MINE!!!! I'll make sure I treat her right - and I'm never selling it. I'll be 75 years old when it turns 100 and I'll make sure its still flying.

If you need a refresher on how devastated I was 3 weeks ago:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/well-i-almost-bought-a-plane.108021/

Ever since I was 13 years old I dreamed of owning an airplane, every decision I made in life was based around the prospects of owning. I can honestly say I have my dream plane. Last week I turned 23 years old - a decade after discovering my passion.

Well here it is! More pics to come tomorrow including panel.

View attachment 59821 View attachment 59822
View attachment 59823
View attachment 59824
Congratulations!!!

With soundtrack like that (and all dem rocks in the windshield) there'll be no confusing these with Redneck Pilot's videos.;)

I'm a big fan of country, and it's primarily what I listen to, but I've never found them to go well with flying videos.

Ya, it would be difficult to get in the flying mood with a video soundtrack of someone lamenting the loss of their girl, their dog, their gun and their pickup. :p

I dunno, Keith's phrase "put a boot in yo ass" would fit in when you throttle up for takeoff. Maybe.

Always liked Merle's "Silver Wings", pretty song that could be adapted for a flight.

What a fantastic day! Got the plane back from the avionics shop and did a whole list of things I had been wanting to do.
IMG_20180302_164750.jpg
IMG_20180302_134833.jpg
What was done at the avionics shop:
-New compass
-Removed ADF
-Removed extra Altimeter
-Whole new Static System
-Panel mounted Aera 660
What was done at the Maintenance shop:
-New sparkplugs
-New (to me) Cessna Factory jump seats
-Reskinned the right flap (small gash in it from before)
-Got hubcaps
-Rotated fuel cap to be in-line with airflow
What I did:
- Broke up and vacuumed out 30 year old wasp nest from flap track
- Installed LED landing, Taxi & Nav lights
- Set-up and test fit Bruce's covers
Plane is going back to Avionics shop for a day next week for:
-Antenna for Aera 660
- Co-pilot static port is cracked
- New clock
- Find loose ground on radio #1 causing it to randomly transmit
- Install Whelen LED Beacon

After spending all day with the plane, it actually feels like "mine" now :). Such a great day. Hopefully going to fly it tomorrow to some dirt/grass strips and get some practice in.

Slowly chipping away at all the repairs/upgrades! Showing the plane some love.

It’s a start. Heheheh. :) Kidding. Nice that you’re babying her already.

What a fantastic day! Got the plane back from the avionics shop and did a whole list of things I had been wanting to do.
View attachment 60629
View attachment 60631
What was done at the avionics shop:
-New compass
-Removed ADF
-Removed extra Altimeter
-Whole new Static System
-Panel mounted Aera 660
What was done at the Maintenance shop:
-New sparkplugs
-New (to me) Cessna Factory jump seats
-Reskinned the right flap (small gash in it from before)
-Got hubcaps
-Rotated fuel cap to be in-line with airflow
What I did:
- Broke up and vacuumed out 30 year old wasp nest from flap track
- Installed LED landing, Taxi & Nav lights
- Set-up and test fit Bruce's covers
Plane is going back to Avionics shop for a day next week for:
-Antenna for Aera 660
- Co-pilot static port is cracked
- New clock
- Find loose ground on radio #1 causing it to randomly transmit
- Install Whelen LED Beacon

After spending all day with the plane, it actually feels like "mine" now :). Such a great day. Hopefully going to fly it tomorrow to some dirt/grass strips and get some practice in.

Still want to know where you're located. Nice weather later this month or early next, we should have a POA flyin.

Daytrip GGGSP. Spend the night to visit with the aliens.

Good job, Austin! It feels good to start making the plane your own.

Check out the cowl louvers too, between the louvers and the STC it's about $200 plus install, helps a decent amount with cooling.

Check out the cowl louvers too, between the louvers and the STC it's about $200 plus install, helps a decent amount with cooling.
And they look cool as hell! Its winter so I haven't noticed cooling to be an issue yet. We'll see this summer though. Also might be nice when I get an engine monitor during my avionics upgrade.

Edit: Woohoo! Plane is officially registered to me on the FAA website that feels good!

Last edited:
Back