Sitting can kill you, so get off your duff!

They say sitting for prolonged periods can be just as costly as puffing on those cancer sticks. I suppose I'll get off my duff for a little while today and make it to the gym. Thanks

Inactivity is not what caused my recent heart attack, but I am under doctors orders to not exert myself at this time. And not being able to get up and do some work is killing me.....

I actually have a standing desk at home(I work from home), I try to use it 'standing' at least 7 hours a day. In the beginning I couldn't manage more than 3 or 4. Not sure if it's helping anything, but at least I can say I have a standing desk.

...according to your trusted pals at CNN.

The ones that made this astute observation?

IMG_0539.JPG

I know this is a tongue-in-cheek thread, but on a serious note, there is a lot of truth in the title of this thread. My exercise of choice is cycling. I spend too much time sitting behind a desk at work. A while back I had reached a point where I was feeling tired and didn't have the stamina I use to have. We have a tread mill but it bored me to death walking on it, so I rarely used it. I bought a bike and take my dogs running after supper every night. It is great for the dogs and it has been amazing how much more energy I have now. I feel so much better. The bike I bought will fold in half making it easy to throw in the back of our SUV. It will also fit in my plane when folded. St Simons, Jekyll and Amelia Islands all have bike paths. It is neat to fly to the coast, eat some great seafood, and ride off a few calories. For me, cycling is a fun way to exercise.

I know this is a tongue-in-cheek thread, but on a serious note, there is a lot of truth in the title of this thread. My exercise of choice is cycling.

Keep in mind the article isn't about exercise. It's about "sitting more than 10 hours per day will kill you EVEN IF you exercise".

So if you exercise 2 hours a day, wonder about 2 hours, sleep 8 hours a day, a day and then sit 12 hours a day... you're still 200% more dead.

BUT - this is an observational study and not an experimental study. So any cause and effect conclusions are basically worthless. It may also just be proving "People who have terminal diseases sit more".

I'd like to try an app that tracks whether I move. One that indicates how many 30+ min periods in the day I didn't move much, since that's what they mention in that story.

The health app on my iphone uses the accelerometer, but it doesn't present a yes/no indicator of whether I moved during each 30-min period of the day.

Keep in mind the article isn't about exercise. It's about "sitting more than 10 hours per day will kill you EVEN IF you exercise".

So if you exercise 2 hours a day, wonder about 2 hours, sleep 8 hours a day, a day and then sit 12 hours a day... you're still 200% more dead.

BUT - this is an observational study and not an experimental study. So any cause and effect conclusions are basically worthless. It may also just be proving "People who have terminal diseases sit more".

Yep, show me the prospective double blind controlled study proving that exercise is the cause and not the result of better health.

Probably right, but they'd have more credibility if they weren't running a Veridesk advertisement every few minutes this morning that claimed the same thing.
CNN is just late to the game. Studies on this have been out for years.

Typed as I stand on my $40 garage sale treadmill.

Bought a sit/stand desk from IKEA after Christmas, one of my better purchases. Stand about 7 hours per day and my neck and shoulder issues were gone within a month.

Bought a sit/stand desk from IKEA after Christmas, one of my better purchases. Stand about 7 hours per day and my neck and shoulder issues were gone within a month.

I am seriously considering getting one of those.

Wow! I actually tried to use my laptop while walking on the treadmill but just balanced it on the display thingie. It didn't work well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back