Sitting can kill you, so get off your duff!

Treadmill desks make for a lovely smelling office. No big deal at home, but in the workplace it's always nice to add that "Ode Du Gym" smell to the usual smells of a corporate office space. LOL
The place is already permeated with "Ode Du Student"...

I'm so tired of all of these conflicting reports. They're now saying breathing is the number one cause of death. Seriously, every single breath you take is one more you can never get back, and one breath closer to death. I'm not sure how I'm going to do all of this walking they recommend and hold my breath at the same time. I'll type more later, getting light headed now...

Next is don't sleep more than 30min. at the time?
Is that another form of sitting?
Did they study that?
CNN=Contains Nothing New?

I know this is a tongue-in-cheek thread, but on a serious note, there is a lot of truth in the title of this thread. My exercise of choice is cycling. I spend too much time sitting behind a desk at work. A while back I had reached a point where I was feeling tired and didn't have the stamina I use to have. We have a tread mill but it bored me to death walking on it, so I rarely used it. I bought a bike and take my dogs running after supper every night. It is great for the dogs and it has been amazing how much more energy I have now. I feel so much better. The bike I bought will fold in half making it easy to throw in the back of our SUV. It will also fit in my plane when folded. St Simons, Jekyll and Amelia Islands all have bike paths. It is neat to fly to the coast, eat some great seafood, and ride off a few calories. For me, cycling is a fun way to exercise.

I took up cycling. I started 5 weeks ago. I am riding a recumbent style bicycle. In 5 weeks I have lost 30 lbs. Down to 165 lbs. I can not stand and walk on a treadmill but I can sit and pedal this bike. I hope to loose another 20-30 lbs. I traded my airplane for this bike and I love it.

Tony

Simpsons_Get_Duffed_Red_Shirt_POP.jpg

I took up cycling. I started 5 weeks ago. I am riding a recumbent style bicycle. In 5 weeks I have lost 30 lbs. Down to 165 lbs. I can not stand and walk on a treadmill but I can sit and pedal this bike. I hope to loose another 20-30 lbs. I traded my airplane for this bike and I love it.

Tony

Maybe you should get a pedal powered airplane....:lol::lol:

mscard88 looks like that was ground looped once by the look of the wing tip. A friend sells the plans to these.

Lost another 5 lbs. Down to 160lbs riding my bike.

Tony

mscard88 looks like that was ground looped once by the look of the wing tip. A friend sells the plans to these.

Lost another 5 lbs. Down to 160lbs riding my bike.

Tony
If it's not in the logs, it didn't happen. NDH.

(Good on you for the weight loss, BTW)

I sat on my ass most of yesterday watching college football, and I'm here today to tell you, well, I'm here today. :D

ROLL TIDE!

I worry about the reverse. What is too much activity? Can you wear out your body by doing too much? I am 58 and spent 12 hours outside yesterday, much in the hot sun clearing brush, digging holes in the Texas rock-they-call-soil, weedeating (a new fenceline). I am going out again right now. Sometimes I think staying active is over rated, and just as likely to kill you. If I could find someone to pay to do this I'd be padding around the house looking for an aviation magazine to read with a fresh cup of coffee.

At 69 I'm wondering that too. I was pretty rough on the ole bod.

The human body is like a battery - it has only a finite amount of energy which is depleted by exercise.

Straight from the expert.

At 69 I'm wondering that too. I was pretty rough on the ole bod.

At 58 I feel the effects of the physical activity of my younger years.

I watch elder native folks and see how they are stove up from a lifetime of physical labor and poor nutrition. But they still get out and feed the cows every morning.

I flew out a native elder. He had broken his pelvis. At 70 years of age. He broke it in a jackpot bull riding at the rodeo. He was not complaining about the pain, he was complaining about how he really wanted that jackpot.....

I worry about the reverse. What is too much activity? Can you wear out your body by doing too much? I am 58 and spent 12 hours outside yesterday, much in the hot sun clearing brush, digging holes in the Texas rock-they-call-soil, weedeating (a new fenceline). I am going out again right now. Sometimes I think staying active is over rated, and just as likely to kill you. If I could find someone to pay to do this I'd be padding around the house looking for an aviation magazine to read with a fresh cup of coffee.

Exercise is completely overrated and misunderstood. Strenuous exercise actually increases the risk of damage due to accidents and overuse injury and even mortality over everything but being bedridden, and light or moderate exercise might not be as dangerous, but is probably not as good for us as we are led to believe. The supposed benefits might be due to concurrent interventions such as diet or starting a medication, because people often start these things together.

Well, I spent 35 years riding a desk. Last year I had my back lock up twice, once during the rehab I was undergoing with numbness in the foot (pinched nerve). Ended up getting an X-ray and then an MRI. Spinal clinic read the MRI and said I had Degenerative Disk Disease, probably from sitting improperly for 35 years, and bilateral spinal stenosis, which happens with age. Now go to the gym 3 times a week working on back stretching and strengthening, along with the elliptical for cardio. I have had a couple of mild back spasms when I have sat to long watching football on Saturdays. Now try to get up for 15 mins every hour, whether I need another beer or not!

Well, I spent 35 years riding a desk. Last year I had my back lock up twice, once during the rehab I was undergoing with numbness in the foot (pinched nerve). Ended up getting an X-ray and then an MRI. Spinal clinic read the MRI and said I had Degenerative Disk Disease, probably from sitting improperly for 35 years, and bilateral spinal stenosis, which happens with age. Now go to the gym 3 times a week working on back stretching and strengthening, along with the elliptical for cardio. I have had a couple of mild back spasms when I have sat to long watching football on Saturdays. Now try to get up for 15 mins every hour, whether I need another beer or not!

I have exactly that diagnosis but I don't know if sitting improperly does it or if it's just going to happen anyway with age or partly genetic. My brother got it severely in his twenties when he was an active Marine.

I too am trying to get up for a few minutes every hour but I keep forgetting.

I have been a desk jockey for about the last 15-20 years. But only week days. Nights and weekends I was very active for the most part.
I'd love to blame sitting, and may be able to some...but probably overworked by back trying to do everything under the sun myself, and ended up with back surgery.
Still active, and still working, but still sitting most every day too.
The two things that keep me energized and with good focus are getting plenty of exercise and a sugar free-grain free diet.
I mean good exercise too, like jogging or cycling, basketball, etc... to get that heart rate going for a while.
The diet usually leads to the exercise more than the other way around I've found.

A walk down from the office to get a cup of coffee 4 times a day will never cut it.
Nor flying, sadly.
(waiting for the tired arms joke here) :)

Exercise is completely overrated and misunderstood. Strenuous exercise actually increases the risk of damage due to accidents and overuse injury and even mortality over everything but being bedridden, and light or moderate exercise might not be as dangerous, but is probably not as good for us as we are led to believe. The supposed benefits might be due to concurrent interventions such as diet or starting a medication, because people often start these things together.
My personal experience, so a sample of only one. I started moderate exercise several years ago. No diet, no medications, no reason for doing so other than my desire. I noticed I have more stamina than my colleagues on trips. I could work in awkward positions for much longer without getting tired. A muscle injury seems to heal more quickly (back muscle, fell onto something). I can also lift equipment more easily. I do either spin or the arm/step combo alternating with weights. Some days, I wish I could skip it (I suppose I could) but I feel good afterwards.

I have been a desk jockey for about the last 15-20 years. But only week days. Nights and weekends I was very active for the most part.
I'd love to blame sitting, and may be able to some...but probably overworked by back trying to do everything under the sun myself, and ended up with back surgery.
Still active, and still working, but still sitting most every day too.
The two things that keep me energized and with good focus are getting plenty of exercise and a sugar free-grain free diet.
I mean good exercise too, like jogging or cycling, basketball, etc... to get that heart rate going for a while.
The diet usually leads to the exercise more than the other way around I've found.

A walk down from the office to get a cup of coffee 4 times a day will never cut it.
Nor flying, sadly.
(waiting for the tired arms joke here) :)

Just read a study that says a couple, three cups of coffee is actually good for you.

Just read a study that says a couple, three cups of coffee is actually good for you.
Impossible. Science has long since proven otherwise. Egg yolks, whole milk, and coffee are fatal if consumed in quantities above the recommended limits.

Warning: multiple cups of coffee may lead to exercising, feeling good, frequent urination, an overall reduction in sitting, multiple kitchen appliances, irritability, snap judgments, and excessive time spent in drive throughs.

Warning: multiple cups of coffee may lead to exercising, feeling good, frequent urination, an overall reduction in sitting, multiple kitchen appliances, irritability, snap judgments, and excessive time spent in drive throughs.

causes bowel movements as well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back