SI renewal turns into alcohol history inquiry

Security has tightened, but much of that happened since the 911 attack. (Many of my crossings were before that.) But fuel availability can be an issue at smaller airports and prices are high. My most recent trips through Canada were 2017 and 2018 and customs, fuel, and lodging were all considerably more challenging and less "forgiving" than previously. A friend that flew from Vermont to Alaska last month vowed that he would never do that again . . .
Sounds like I'm not missing much by being on BasicMed.

I dont believe the seneca is high performance.

Seneca is certainly HP and complex, but not pressurized.

A Seneca III Project.... like I really need another project.

FAA definition of high performance since 1987
an airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower”

afaik - Only the Seneca I is NOT High Performance [HP]. The turbo charged Seneca are all HP. The Seneca III is obviously HP. Even the Seneca II is HP although might need more than a casual glance. The Seneca II is listed in the POH as 215 hp @ 12,000' MSL.

afaik - Only the Seneca I is NOT High Performance [HP]. The turbo charged Seneca are all HP. The Seneca III is obviously HP. Even the Seneca II is HP although might need more than a casual glance. The Seneca II is listed in the POH as 215 hp @ 12,000' MSL.
You dont identify which version of seneca - then the assumption its just the seneca I. Ive flown Senecas. The seneca II is a PA32-200T - which is 2 x 200hp (including the turbo) - so still not HP. The seneca III and later certainly are.

You have to have held a Class medical certificate at some point to go Basic Med. You can NOT do it from the start.

You can fly Sport Pilot without ever having a medical.
Yes, we all agree that is the case, and that is exactly the point. Had Father Pilot investigated a little more, he would have seen that his previous medical entitled him to use Basic Med, and he could have avoided all the pain he endured getting a new 3rd class - which he didn't need.

-Not allowed to fly in to canada
-plenty of HP/Complex planes - especially pressurized that insurance now requires a class 1,2,3 medical

and obviously if you move up to anything beyond 6K (like twins) - but that falls under excluded aircraft.
Canada is waiting for ICAO approval of Basic Med. It is easier for them to get the changes that way.

Hard to justify pressurized with 18,000 feet limit. I would LOVE to see that go away. But HP/Complex is fine with Basic Med. I have a Mooney 252 (both complex and HP) and had no issues getting insurance.

Changes outlined in FAA Reauthorization Act will remove 6,000 limit and put it up to 12,500 (type certificate limit) and allow 7 seats.

Back