Should you get a PPL license even if you are only expecting to fly LSA?

If a PPC is a powered parachute, what does the "C" stand for? ;)

If you are the type of person who is going to be able to get a Sport Pilot certificate in 20 hours vs a Private Pilot in 40 hours then yes, you will spend half as much money. If your dual instruction is with a regular CFI you should be able to apply all of your Sport Pilot training time towards continuation for a Private if you decide to do so afterwards. It won't matter that you trained in an LSA.

If your dual instruction is with a regular CFI you should be able to apply all of your Sport Pilot training time towards continuation for a Private if you decide to do so afterwards.

Not necessary if you actually get the Sport ticket. In that situation, instruction from a Sport CFI also counts toward Private.

I'm also from Canada so my experience might be relevant to you. I intended to only fly LSA (or here in Canada Advanced Ultralight planes) and therefore went for the RPP, which would allow you to fly the Advanced Ultralight plane in the U.S. as well (weird rule since you can't fly Canadian certified planes in the U.S. with a TC RPP, but you CAN fly Canadian Advanced Ultralights with a TC RPP), which was important to me since I wanted that option of being able to fly all over North America. After I got my RPP, I bought my first LSA (Rans S6) and quickly noticed it's not going to fit my mission. There are some LSA that are fast and comfy, but they're also expensive, but my main complaint was space, weight and handling. Those planes are cramped, won't allow you to bring along much baggage and get thrown around in wind and turbulence like crazy. So, I bought a small certified plane, started boring holes and gaining confidence flying, upgraded to a PPL, bought a (still small) bigger certified plane and am happy I did it.

I'm also from Canada so my experience might be relevant to you. I intended to only fly LSA (or here in Canada Advanced Ultralight planes) and therefore went for the RPP, which would allow you to fly the Advanced Ultralight plane in the U.S. as well (weird rule since you can't fly Canadian certified planes in the U.S. with a TC RPP, but you CAN fly Canadian Advanced Ultralights with a TC RPP), which was important to me since I wanted that option of being able to fly all over North America. After I got my RPP, I bought my first LSA (Rans S6) and quickly noticed it's not going to fit my mission. There are some LSA that are fast and comfy, but they're also expensive, but my main complaint was space, weight and handling. Those planes are cramped, won't allow you to bring along much baggage and get thrown around in wind and turbulence like crazy. So, I bought a small certified plane, started boring holes and gaining confidence flying, upgraded to a PPL, bought a (still small) bigger certified plane and am happy I did it.

Hi Chris. Thanks for that. I'm inclined to buy either a Bushcat or an Aerotrek. Will most likely be the first one. I'l keep an eye on RANS too.

Most of the time I'll be flying solo, landing on grass/gravel strips around Québec and Eastern Ontario. Long and slow will be my mission for a few years while I build hours and confidence in the air. Certified could be an option one day as we are a family of 4, but even in that case I'll be flying alone on a 4 seater most of the time so renting could be a better option for those family trips. I guess time will tell.

Back