Should PBOR2 include language where the FAA must pay for a pilot's medical SI?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
If we have to include a one time medical for new pilots or pilots who had not had a medical in over 10 years, do you think that the PBOR2 should include language in the bill that the FAA should cover the additional medical testing and documentation expenses for pilots who require a special issuance medical? If a pilot has to get additional medical testing and documentation that is expensive and not covered by health insurance, why can't the FAA pay for all of or at least a certain portion pilot's special issuance medical expenses? That would solve part of problem of getting a special issuance medical that the pilot has to pay out of pocket and may encourage the pilot to complete the entire special issuance process if cost is the biggest problem in getting a special issuance medical.

I heard that the bill requires the FAA to streamline its special issuance medical process so I don't see why we can't add this language to the bill or at least have this part become part of the special issuance streamline process.

Maybe they can buy us some fuel as well. Geez

If we have to include a one time medical for new pilots or pilots who had not had a medical in over 10 years, do you think that the PBOR2 should include language in the bill that the FAA should cover the additional medical testing and documentation expenses for pilots who require a special issuance medical? If a pilot has to get additional medical testing and documentation that is expensive and not covered by health insurance, why can't the FAA pay for all of or at least a certain portion pilot's special issuance medical expenses? That would solve part of problem of getting a special issuance medical that the pilot has to pay out of pocket and may encourage the pilot to complete the entire special issuance process if cost is the biggest problem in getting a special issuance medical.

I heard that the bill requires the FAA to streamline its special issuance medical process so I don't see why we can't add this language to the bill or at least have this part become part of the special issuance streamline process.

Up next on Dateline NBC, those filthy 1%ers that own airplanes and operate out of taxpayer subsidized airports and rent taxpayer subsidized hangars and get taxpayer subsidized ATC service, tax payer subsidized maintenance/alteration services are now going to get taxpayer subsidized medical services to compliment taxpayer subsidized medical certification services.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes2:

Maybe the FAA will use Vaseline and give you a reach around too...

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

If they are going to require pilots to have certificates they should pay for that too..

Hmm. Both the FAA and the DMV say I need to wear corrective lens to fly/drive. And there is some damn local ordinance says I gotta wear clothing in public.

You are really thinking that a Congress that would like to cut social security, medicare, medicaid, welfare, unemployment, education, Veterans and other benefits is going to (or even should) pass something to pay for pilot medical tests? :dunno:

Since I have to drive to the airport, can I get my car payment, insurance, maintenance, and fuel taken care of?

Sorry, I was only suggesting this, can't a guy make a suggestion where pilots don't have to spend a whole lot of money where there is no guarantee that they would be able to get a special issuance and fly again?

It's just that I feel bad for the pilots who are stuck in getting approval for special issuance where they can't afford thousands of dollars to get a special issuance medical.

If anyone has a better idea on how to reduce the cost on getting a special issuance medical, I'm listening.

Sorry, I was only suggesting this, can't a guy make a suggestion where pilots don't have to spend a whole lot of money where there is no guarantee that they would be able to get a special issuance and fly again?

It's just that I feel bad for the pilots who are stuck in getting approval for special issuance where they can't afford thousands of dollars to get a special issuance medical.

If anyone has a better idea on how to reduce the cost on getting a special issuance medical, I'm listening.

• Lose weight
  • Exercise
  • Eat healthy

The problem is that the FAA is "doing you a favor" by issuing an SI in spite of the fact that you didn't pass the medical in the first place.

The way to reduce cost would be to simply reduce the paperwork/tests needed for the SI - or to eliminate the need for the medical altogether.

The problem is that the FAA is "doing you a favor" by issuing an SI in spite of the fact that you didn't pass the medical in the first place.

The way to reduce cost would be to simply reduce the paperwork/tests needed for the SI - or to eliminate the need for the medical altogether.

From the "Be careful what you wish for..." category, the FAA could eliminate the cost of SIs altogether by refusing to issue them. If you don't meet the criteria off the bat, no medical for you.

I haven't read it but it looks like the bill has something in it to make the process more efficient. As far as the medical costs go, Tort reform would help so a majority of our doctors bills don't go to cover doctors liability insurance premiums.

I feel just as bad for them as you (especially since I was one of them).

But a little dose of reality does wonders! :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back