Should I persue a career as an airline pilot?

catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
Should I pursue a career as an airline pilot?

Only if you are prepared for carnage like this on November 19th:

carnage.jpg

Because you will be in a classroom, far from home, learning systems on a new airplane on Thanksgiving Day, from 8am to 4pm. And you remark to your husband that all the dark meat will be eaten at your Uncle's river house gathering of the extended family on that day, and you will not get any. So your loving husband throws you a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, on November 19th, complete with all the trimmings, and Pandora 'Thanksgiving Day' on the stereo. This, after 22 years with a major airline, not making nearly the money you thought you would (stupid economy / terrorism / mismanagement / insert your own excuse here).

Then, after your loving husband does all the dishes, you retire to the television room, for the traditional family viewing of Ray Donovan (well, not a tradition, just the current binge show) before the tryptophan kicks in.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :D

Last edited:
You should also take some time in your studies to learn the word pursue. ;)

I'm still trying I find some turkeys before T day, gotta bag me a couple before the big day.

As for flying for the airlines, not my cup of tea but good luck with...guessing...new airline indoc?

Ever consider working outside of airlines?

Last edited:

Because you will be in a classroom, far from home, learning systems on a new airplane on Thanksgiving Day, from 8am to 4pm. And you remark to your husband that all the dark meat will be eaten at your Uncle's river house gathering of the extended family on that day, and you will not get any. So your loving husband throws you a pre-Thanksgiving dinner, on November 19th, complete with all the trimmings, and Pandora 'Thanksgiving Day' on the stereo. This, after 22 years with a major airline, not making nearly the money you thought you would (stupid economy / terrorism / mismanagement / insert your own excuse here).

Then, after your loving husband does all the dishes, you retire to the television room, for the traditional family viewing of Ray Donovan (well, not a tradition, just the current binge show) before the tryptophan kicks in.

Would have to agree with "mismanagement"....what kind of manager schedules training for Thanksgiving day? That person has no sense what-so-ever....

I work in an industry that goes 24/7/365 and even we don't train on holidays. If we have to show up on a holiday, we do what is required and then silently disappear. We take no chances of upset or injury.

When I did indoc it started the week of Thanksgiving and went through January. I should have taken that as a portent as to how company scheduling would be.:lol:

Making pilots work T-day is understandable but train. Geezus that seems intentionally sadistic. Union been uppity lately?:eek:

When I did indoc it started the week of Thanksgiving and went through January. I should have taken that as a portent as to how company scheduling would be.:lol:

I'm sure the boats you've been on while underway just come to a stop on holidays so the entire crew can have the day off, then resume the next day. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the boats you've been on while underway just come to a stop on holidays so the entire crew can have the day off, then resume the next day. :rolleyes:

Lol, yeah, I wish. No, no such luck, we typically work holidays in the vacation industry. But we get excellent tips for it as well.;)

We are open 24/7/365 but our training providers are not.

Training on T-day bites.

I'm sure glad my dreams of being an airline pilot didn't pan out.

Like Garth's song says "sometimes God's greatest gift, is unanswered prayers." :redface:

When my dad was doing his IOE on the 747 for Delta my mom and I went with him to Narita and Manila and almost spent Christmas there

Re: Should I pursue a career as an airline pilot?

The airline that turned me off of working for airlines did training from 8pm until 4am. 1 out of the 10 in my class didn't even show up. I think he was the smart one in the bunch.

Since a great deal of airline pilots came from the military having to work or train on a holiday is no big deal. I haven't had to work on a holiday for over ten years now. When and if I did have to work a holiday I always knew that I had it light years better than the brave 19 year old on a high mountain ridge in Afghanistan somewhere. A lot you really seem to have no clue as to what really matters in life or what TRUE hardship is.

Since a great deal of airline pilots came from the military having to work or train on a holiday is no big deal. I haven't had to work on a holiday for over ten years now. When and if I did have to work a holiday I always knew that I had it light years better than the brave 19 year old on a high mountain ridge in Afghanistan somewhere. A lot you really seem to have no clue as to what really matters in life or what TRUE hardship is.

Oh, I understand, I don't want that kid to be there, I'd rather pay him to do something productive at home.

Lol, yeah, I wish. No, no such luck, we typically work holidays in the vacation industry. But we get excellent tips for it as well.;)

In the commercial sector though, yeah, we would arrange to be at the dock for the holidays the majority of the time. Those guys that lived local went home, those that were left would have a party on one of the boats, who ever had the best lounge.

After 22 years in the Army and missing untold birthdays, anniversaries and holidays I gotta laugh. So what you pulled duty on a holiday. At least you knew when it would be over. You had a bed to sleep in and a hot meal. Suck it up, buttercup.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift

After 22 years in the Army and missing untold birthdays, anniversaries and holidays I gotta laugh. So what you pulled duty on a holiday. At least you knew when it would be over. You had a bed to sleep in and a hot meal. Suck it up, buttercup.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

Or choose a different path.:dunno: Always on for somebody else is no way for a man to live life.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

Running around the woods playing with big guns and drinking your way around the world, oh woe is you...:rofl::D;)

I remember missing Christmas 2004. I was in Baghdad and had to use the bathroom around midnight on the 24 / 25th. I walked outside to the porta-john in the absolute darkness and as I rounded the corner of the building......BAM! The sky lit up like somebody just turned the sun on and the blast just about put me flat on my back. I thought someone popped a nuke but it was a fuel truck being used as a car bomb on one of the gates to the green zone a few miles away.

Later that night my crew and I chased down a mortarman that nearly killed our supply guy and a cook.

Just one story of missing a holiday in my 18 years in the Army, I have many more of these.......

Our training centers are closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'm off over Thanksgiving this year, but yeah, holiday work is usually part of the job. I'll have to work on Christmas day, so we'll do all the celebrating on the Eve. Can't complain too much - it's what I signed up to do. :)

How does the OP have all that time at a major airline and not have an ATP?

What'd the army do in the last 22 years that made us freer or kept us safer?

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

Geesh, just trying to give some insight to the folks who often come here asking for info about the airlines. Did not mean for it to spin into a zone where we are trying to see who provided expected services or defended the most freedom on the worst day and whether it was worthwhile. Lighten up, Francises.

And to clarify, OP is the loving husband, who opted not to pursue an ATP, as m'lady has that base covered, for which we are grateful (even with missed holidays).

Ooooh - YOU'RE the loving husband! I missed that - probably just too early for me. :)

I remember missing Christmas 2004. I was in Baghdad and had to use the bathroom around midnight on the 24 / 25th. I walked outside to the porta-john in the absolute darkness and as I rounded the corner of the building......BAM! The sky lit up like somebody just turned the sun on and the blast just about put me flat on my back. I thought someone popped a nuke but it was a fuel truck being used as a car bomb on one of the gates to the green zone a few miles away.

Later that night my crew and I chased down a mortarman that nearly killed our supply guy and a cook.

Just one story of missing a holiday in my 18 years in the Army, I have many more of these.......

I spent Christmas 2004 up the road at Tikrit. No "fireworks" for us that night. Just the usual chow hall feast.

As far as Thanksgiving away from home, the only one that stands out is 2009 in Afghanistan flying Gen McCrystal around to see the troops. Long day and night for me as chalk 2. Got browned out under NVGs and had to do 2 go arounds. Embarrassing but I finally got us down in one piece. Got a coin out of it so the mission wasn't a complete failure for me.

So many holidays away from home in 20 yrs in the military. It's just a blur.

Last edited:

"You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post."

One of the great movie scenes of all time. Can't read it without hearing Nicholson's gritted-teeth intonation. "Who's going to do it? YOU!?!?"

One of the great movie scenes of all time. Can't read it without hearing Nicholson's gritted-teeth intonation. "Who's going to do it? YOU!?!?"
Do what, keep Cuba from invading?:lol: Projecting military force round the world and having open borders is just silly.:yikes:

I just plan on never making it home for any holiday. Makes it so I'm not disappointed every year.

I just plan on never making it home for any holiday. Makes it so I'm not disappointed every year.

Yup.

Geesh, just trying to give some insight to the folks who often come here asking for info about the airlines. Did not mean for it to spin into a zone where we are trying to see who provided expected services or defended the most freedom on the worst day and whether it was worthwhile. Lighten up, Francises.

BTW, I'm just sharing a story of missing time at home. Take it how you wish....

Last edited:

What'd the army do in the last 22 years that made us freer or kept us safer?

We did what we were told. Right or wrong we went to the places that those in power told us to go and did what they felt was best. I don't say I agree with it all or that I disagree. I and others made a choice to give up our opinions and just do our duty. If you don't think we were used in an appropriate way, vote out the people that made the decision.

We did what we were told. Right or wrong we went to the places that those in power told us to go and did what they felt was best. I don't say I agree with it all or that I disagree. I and others made a choice to give up our opinions and just do our duty. If you don't think we were used in an appropriate way, vote out the people that made the decision.

The sad thing is the numbers who can't live with it.:(

I really don't think we should recruit soldiers under 25. While our military has a method and obligation to refuse immoral orders and uphold the Constitution, the average 18 year old being recruited does not have the wherewithal yet in life to make those kind of determinations, nor do they yet have the experience in life to understand the moral implications of not being able to make those determinations for themselves.

I just don't think we should put 18 year olds in that position.

I really don't think we should recruit soldiers under 25. While our military has a method and obligation to refuse immoral orders and uphold the Constitution, the average 18 year old being recruited does not have the wherewithal yet in life to make those kind of determinations, nor do they yet have the experience in life to understand the moral implications of not being able to make those determinations for themselves.

I just don't think we should put 18 year olds in that position.
Which is exactly why the military wants and uses 18 year olds. :sad:

How do you know you married the right woman? (OK, the second time around)

I'm upgrading to captain at World. I'm flying in the simulator Wednesday, off Thanksgiving, and right back into the box on Friday. The wife and stepdaughter drive from Sarasota to Memphis to celebrate Thanksgiving and then drive back over the weekend.

The offspring of airline pilots know that holidays fall on the day closest to the actual holiday when dad is home. I was mean and would never celebrate early.

Last edited:

I spent Christmas 2004 up the road at Tikrit. No "fireworks" for us that night. Just the usual chow hall feast.

As far as Thanksgiving away from home, the only one that stands out is 2009 in Afghanistan flying Gen McCrystal around to see the troops. Long day and night for me as chalk 2. Got browned out under NVGs and had to do 2 go arounds. Embarrassing but I finally got us down in one piece. Got a coin out of it so the mission wasn't a complete failure for me.

So many holidays away from home in 20 yrs in the military. It's just a blur.

Thank you for your service.

Back