Should I persue a career as an airline pilot?

BTW, I'm just sharing a story of missing time at home. Take it how you wish....

Hi, my name is Francis, and I'm lightening myself up. Thanks for the story, had my internet context filters set a little too tight. :rolleyes:

Re: Should I pursue a career as an airline pilot?

Which is exactly why the military wants and uses 18 year olds. :sad:

:yeahthat:

If the average troop did that we wouldn't have had any boots in any of the numerous Mid East countries we've occupied lately.

Says the expat. Soldiering for the bankers suck that bad?

What does expat status have to do with this? :dunno:

Oh, wait!...I see, deflect because you know you can't make a salient argument. :rolleyes:

For you and Spicoli:
rootforamerica.jpg

And with that, this is on thread ignore. I refuse to argue with a couple of dullards who never had the balls to serve their country and disparage those who have.

What does expat status have to do with this? :dunno:

Oh, wait!...I see, deflect because you know you can't make a salient argument. :rolleyes:

For you and Spicoli:
rootforamerica.jpg

And with that, this is on thread ignore. I refuse to argue with a couple of dullards who never had the balls to serve their country and disparage those who have.

I root what is worth rooting for and protest and want to change what is not, if that is unAmerican to you, then you don't understand what America is really about.

See what you started Cat. Never bring up working as an airline pilot on Thanksgiving. It always turns into an argument about military service. :nono:

Being a professional pilot of any sort is going to take a great deal from you and you're going to have to sacrifice all of the other stuff. As with any aviation career, when they tell you they are looking for someone with passion what they really mean is they ain't gonna pay you $pit.

What'd the army do in the last 22 years that made us freer or kept us safer?

Ensured individuals such as yourself had the right to whine about those who served while you did nothing to preserve that right for yourself. Enjoy the freedoms and rights others were willing to stand up for on your behalf.

We don't serve for your gratitude. We serve because we believe in something bigger than ourselves.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift

Running around the woods playing with big guns and drinking your way around the world, oh woe is you...:rofl::D;)

Was it fun shooting howitzers and rockets? Heck yeah. Was it playing? Absolutely not. I received a commendation as a 1st Looey for safely firing in excess of 60,000 artillery rounds...more than most fire in a 30 year career. I did it in three years. I was assigned to the unit which fired all the training missions ( with real, live High Explosive rounds) for all Army and Marine Forward Observers and all Field Artillery Lieutenants for both services and several allied nations. The battalion fired over 100,000 rounds annually.

Living outside in the woods for long periods of times is pretty over-rated. As for drinking...well there were some pretty wild parties at the Grafenwöhr Officer's Club back in the day. Back when clubs still had "dancers." :)

Jim R
Collierville, TN

Last edited:

What'd the army do in the last 22 years that made us freer or kept us safer?

I'm scratching my head trying to figure what it is they did in 1992 that you think made us freer or kept us safer? :dunno:

Was it fun shooting howitzers and rockets? Heck yeah...

Therein lies at least a part of the problem - you thinking it was "fun"

See what you started Cat. Never bring up working as an airline pilot on Thanksgiving. It always turns into an argument about military service. :nono:

I won't even begin to mention about the schedule hassle of Christmas, as I have heard enough recently about affordable healthcare. :goofy:

How? the biggest threat to free speech comes from your former employer. The pro America thus I must be pro Army ideal, ignores what the founders believed. A large standing Army is detrimental to freedom. You did the opposite of what you believe. Incremental freedom was lost on your watch while you backed up those that took it.
Ensured individuals such as yourself had the right to whine about those who served while you did nothing to preserve that right for yourself. Enjoy the freedoms and rights others were willing to stand up for on your behalf.

We don't serve for your gratitude. We serve because we believe in something bigger than ourselves.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

How? the biggest threat to free speech comes from your former employer. The pro America thus I must be pro Army ideal, ignores what the founders believed. A large standing Army is detrimental to freedom. You did the opposite of what you believe. Incremental freedom was lost on your watch while you backed up those that took it.

This is true, sadly blind support for anything the military does has almost become a religion.

This is true, sadly blind support for anything the military does has almost become a religion.

We don't have the choice, it is the elected leadership that picks our battles for us.

The freedom that has been lost was taken by vote and not force. This continues today in each city and state and has not been stopped by a change in leadership.

Sorry to the OP, a couple of us shared a story or two about being away from home and it has now become a completely different discussion for a completely different forum.

We don't have the choice, it is the elected leadership that picks our battles for us.
Ah, the classic Nuremberg defense.:(

Different issue and not even close to what I meant and you know it.

I can see that there is no discussion to be had with you.
You are what you are by choice. It ain't the pols fault.

You are what you are by choice. It ain't the pols fault.

Yes, joining the military is by choice but the choice to execute foreign policy by use of the military is done by our elected leaders. If one were to question those orders, it wouldn't be good for one's psyche or unit morale as a whole. That's what being a professional warrior is all about. Let the politicians decide the who and where. The soldier just needs to worry about how best to confront the enemy based on the ROE in place. That ROE shouldn't leave anyone feeling guilty about their service.

The freedom that has been lost was taken by vote and not force. This continues today in each city and state and has not been stopped by a change in leadership.

Sorry to the OP, a couple of us shared a story or two about being away from home and it has now become a completely different discussion for a completely different forum.

The freedom has been taken away by lack of option to vote for that/who which wouldn't lose that freedom. Our elections are as big of a joke as the Soviet ones we used lambast.

Different issue and not even close to what I meant and you know it.

I can see that there is no discussion to be had with you.

It is NOT a different issue, the only difference is context, that's why it is such a dangerous issue with a very fuzzy line.

Yes, joining the military is by choice but the choice to execute foreign policy by use of the military is done by our elected leaders. If one were to question those orders, it wouldn't be good for one's psyche or unit morale as a whole. That's what being a professional warrior is all about. Let the politicians decide the who and where. The soldier just needs to worry about how best to confront the enemy based on the ROE in place. That ROE shouldn't leave anyone feeling guilty about their service.

The thing is, our foreign policy has not changed in 100 years, the course we have been on is straight and true for that long. That means when you volunteer for military duty, you are endorsing them, you are telling them, "Yes, I believe in what you are doing and am willing to die for your your ability to keep doing it."

That's why I don't like military indoc before 25, 18 year olds don't yet realize the realities and moral nuances they are signing up for. You're basically selling your soul, so you should at least understand that and sign up so you can take a close look to see if you're getting a good deal out of it.

It is NOT a different issue, the only difference is context, that's why it is such a dangerous issue with a very fuzzy line.

But it is a different issue. Yes I go where my leaders tell me to (the president) and fight the "insert bad guy of the day here" but I have the ability to choose not to shoot unarmed people in a ditch or put people in to poison showers.

The American military is very different from the Prussian style of Army the Germany had during the war. There is a clear misunderstanding here about what we do and who we are.

You said you follow the roe as set by the politicians, so the pols change the roe to include stuffing cattle cars with peopIe and you will.

But it is a different issue. Yes I go where my leaders tell me to (the president) and fight the "insert bad guy of the day here" but I have the ability to choose not to shoot unarmed people in a ditch or put people in to poison showers.

The American military is very different from the Prussian style of Army the Germany had during the war. There is a clear misunderstanding here about what we do and who we are.

Who determines "bad guy"? There in is the issue, the civilian kills are a whole other factor. Why are the 'bad guys' bad? Why do you have to kill them? Why are they trying to kill you? If you don't have the true answers to those questions, you shouldn't be even considering killing people. I'm not talking about the propaganda reasons being fed soldiers, I'm talking about studying the situation and determining the answer.

I don't know many 18 year olds with that level of wherewithal, and those I do typically are at a university.

You said you follow the roe as set by the politicians, so the pols change the roe to include stuffing cattle cars with peopIe and you will.

Hasn't happened in my 18 years, 5 years overseas, 3 presidents, or 3 different combat zones. Yes, I am a combat soldier that actually carries a weapon with the intent of closing with and engaging the enemy.

So, what exactly is your experience level with the US Military? How many years did you serve and at what ranks?

I'm just trying to identify the level of experience vs. assumption in these arguments.

Exactly you carry a weapon to engage the enemy, our king tells you who the enemy is. If our king told you to load the enemy on trains you'd do it. Why the peasants of one country volunteer to kill the peasants of other countries on the whim of a king baffles me. Maybe I'll join ya in the fight when the diplomats start shooting each other.

Exactly you carry a weapon to engage the enemy, our king tells you who the enemy is. If our king told you to load the enemy on trains you'd do it. Why the peasants of one country volunteer to kill the peasants of other countries on the whim of a king baffles me. Maybe I'll join ya in the fight when the diplomats start shooting each other.

It used to be because you plundered booty to help your destitute family or gain your freedom and citizenship. It was the best job going for the typical serf or slave..

Last edited:
It used to be because you plundered booty to help your destitute family or gain your freedom and citizenship. It was the best job going for the typical serf or slave..

Are you suggesting that I am a slave?

I am obviously going round and round with folks that have absolutely no experience with the modern military, the education levels of the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines that make it up or the actual reasons that people choose to serve.

Last edited:
Those don't apply to the modern force and people didn't generally sign up. They were pressed in to service.

Oh no, while that happened, it did not make the majority of force, especially in the Roman Legions.

Oh no, while that happened, it did not make the majority of force, especially in the Roman Legions.

The Legions were a mixture of both conscripts of quality and volunteers but as we know, the Legions were the exception to many rules of the time. They also have little in common with the modern American force.

Nope soldiers forced into it don't fight all that well, it has been the same motivation forever free college or all the stolen booty you can carry on your back. I guess Burroughs changed it a bit since pre WWI and some go cause they read the murica brochure. Yes I know there are the academy kids and the pols to be that risk service for their resumes but they are the exception not the rule.

Back