Should I NOT buy a Cessna 162 Skycatcher?

FLEngineer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLEngineer
I am looking at buying a 2011 Skycatcher in excellent condition, with about 500 tach hours, a factory autopilot, and the second g300 MFD option. I've checked the plane out in person, gone for a test flight, and the owner has already supplied all of the maintenance logs.

I will be flying on a Sport Pilot Certificate, and unfortunately I will never have a PPL. So comparisons to C150's, 4 seater planes, etc are out of scope for me (unless the rule change proposals ever go through).

I've been flying a Skycatcher throughout my training and I enjoy the plane. Renting an LSA in the Tampa FL area will be an issue when my training is over, and I want to keep flying without worrying about rental schedules. I do intend to do a fair amount of cross-country in the aircraft, but I really don't find it uncomfortable flying a 162. Weight is also not much of an issue, even with full fuel, as I'm 165 and my wife is ~120.

With all that in mind, my main concerns are:

1) Orphaned Aircraft - What exactly does that mean for me?
2) Parts availability - Is this still a complication if I go to E-SLA?
3) 11 year old engine - Good shape, but as stated in my first post on this site, it's within a year of TBO.
4) If the aircraft is reclassified as E-SLA, what does that mean for resale? What are the negatives there?
5) Spending $80k on a plane and not being able to fly or sell it later, for some unforeseen reason outside of my currently limited knowledge.

My apologies if these are dumb questions. I'm still a complete aviation noob...And I'm cringing, knowing the guys on my boating forums would roast the hell out of me for a "should I buy this" thread. Thanks in advance for any advice. If any of you ever need boat/jet ski or Miami-to-Bahamas expertise, I'm your guy.

As said by others, the 11-year thing is commonly viewed as meaningless.

As for the rest, I wouldn’t buy one. The orphaned-issue would end up biting me in the behind, knowing my luck.

So long as you never need a part that’s unobtainable, you’d be fine.

Maybe you’ll have a different outcome.

There arent that many made, so orphaned becomes a bigger issue.

There arent that many made, so orphaned becomes a bigger issue.
And didn't Cessna basically crush/recycle all the spares?

I'd even go with an Aerotrek over the 162. At least it's not an orphan.

I'd look at the ctls or RV12 instead of Cessna. I like the Rotax idea better than the icebox 0-200. Why Cessna elected the Conti over rotax is beyond me. Cessna elected to destroy a ton of 162's rather than try and sell them or keep parts. That's always rubbed me the wrong way.

I'd look at the ctls or RV12 instead of Cessna. I like the Rotax idea better than the icebox 0-200. Why Cessna elected the Conti over rotax is beyond me. Cessna elected to destroy a ton of 162's rather than try and sell them or keep parts. That's always rubbed me the wrong way.
I agree ctls/RV12 are great birds...

But if we're trying to stay in a used Skycatcher budget, that's why I recommended Aerotrek.

Although now that I saw $80k hell no a Skycatcher isn't worth that and used CTLS are out there for that price. But no you don't want to buy any RV12 at that price, at least not until I've already bought one ;)

I agree ctls/RV12 are great birds...

But if we're trying to stay in a used Skycatcher budget, that's why I recommended Aerotrek.

Although now that I saw $80k hell no a Skycatcher isn't worth that and used CTLS are out there for that price. But no you don't want to buy any RV12 at that price, at least not until I've already bought one ;)

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/searc...odel=RV-12&listing_id=2403166&s-type=aircraft

The 90k mark is what I've seen a lot of 12's listed for.

On the plus side, with only 192 made, you'd be in an exclusive club!
Even Beech Skippers are like damn that's not many.

I'm guessing that's the least of any Cessna model to actually make it to production? The 406 was only 99 but they're technically Reims. The 404 was 300 something.

RV12s are pretty damn sweet to fly. I’m not very well educated on SLSAs, but I have a ton of faith in Vans, have flown an RV12, and wouldn’t have any of the worries you’ll be facing with the 162. I can’t imagine, but don’t know, that an RV12 would be much more than what you’re considering, cost-wise.

It's only money. You enjoy flying it. It sounds like you have the means, so what are we even talking about? You could get hit by a bus next week. YOLO that skycatcher.

I passed on an opportunity some 35 yrs ago; an active local & low time Piper Tomahawk for $5k. A certified airplane that no one seemed to love. Regret to this day because I soon got out of aviation for a significant period of time. That might have kept me in the air & given me the flying enjoyment I missed.

Even Beech Skippers are like damn that's not many.

I'm guessing that's the least of any Cessna model to actually make it to production? The 406 was only 99 but they're technically Reims. The 404 was 300 something.
Cessna 165 is my guess

It may be hard to find parts at some time. The company that made my ride has been totally out of business for years - not that big a deal. Engine / landing gear / etc. are off the shelf parts. Airframe parts may be hard to find, but you don't usually need them unless there is an accident - in that case, someone is just going to fabricate them. Lots of orphaned aircraft out there still flying.

2) Parts availability - Is this still a complication if I go to E-SLA?
E-LSA lets you tweek as necessary.

3) 11 year old engine - Good shape, but as stated in my first post on this site, it's within a year of TBO.
Non issue.

4) If the aircraft is reclassified as E-SLA, what does that mean for resale? What are the negatives there?
You aren't going to sell it to a flight school.

5) Spending $80k on a plane and not being able to fly or sell it later, for some unforeseen reason outside of my currently limited knowledge.
Seems unlikely to me.

If you want a Skycatcher, buy a Skycatcher. It wouldn't be my first choice - there are other options with a better useful load for a similar price, but I ain't you.

Keep in mind purchase cost is a much smaller component of overall cost of ownership than most believe. The RV12 is going to be your cheapest option overall. It’s also simply a great airplane.

You might want to look at Tecnams. They’re popular, there are several models, and support is available nearby at Lockwood in Sebring.

Having said that, if I had stayed with SP I might have shopped for a used Jabiru 250. I like the roominess for travel.

Look at performance figures. I think the Skycatcher has less carrying capability than other options , etc.

It may be hard to find parts at some time. The company that made my ride has been totally out of business for years - not that big a deal. Engine / landing gear / etc. are off the shelf parts. Airframe parts may be hard to find, but you don't usually need them unless there is an accident - in that case, someone is just going to fabricate them. Lots of orphaned aircraft out there still flying.

At least for your plane they made a shelf, on which some spares exist.

Cessna doesn't even have this shelf, afaik.

And your not going to get a Letter to authorize replacing a part that just died and isn’t made any more with something else.

And few would spend the money to certify a new part (Garmin, etc).

With so few made, is the avionics package somewhat standard, at least, or is it custom?

It'll suck 110% when updates for the package cease, and it's not replaceable/serviceable. At some point in the future a dead screen/panel could ground the aircraft.

The good news is, I bet they'll make kick-butt lawn art!

(Edit: I'm probably thinking too much like an IFR pilot, not VFR. But the serviceability issue still stands.)

Appreciate all the feedback guys, this has been very helpful. I still like the Skycatcher, but whatever my first plane ends up being, I know I'll probably be looking to sell it not too far into the future.

Just curious though, some of the comments on the prices for Skycatchers, CTLSs, etc...Has everyone looked at current '22 pricing? I assume the prices of used planes have gone the same way as the boat world I come from; 2 years ago my 28' CC was $110k and now people are on waiting lists to buy it at $250k.

Here's what I see for some of the main models mentioned:Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.47.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.42.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.41.24 AM.png

You are going to pay a premium for anything Vans or factory built. I paid $20k for my no brand E-AB rag and tube LSA - if you want it for $30K I can deliver.

If you are thinking you may only keep your new airplane for a few years, it might be wise to go for the RV 12. I personally think it would be much, much easier to resell.

I used to instruct in a Tecnam P92. It wasn't really built to withstand students and renters beating them up all day (but the same might be said for almost any LSA), but it was a fun plane to fly and I thought it would make a good personal aircraft. Never flown a Skycatcher so can't compare though.

I used to instruct in a Tecnam P92. It wasn't really built to withstand students and renters beating them up all day (but the same might be said for almost any LSA), but it was a fun plane to fly and I thought it would make a good personal aircraft. Never flown a Skycatcher so can't compare though.

I did my training, both SP and PP, in a P92 and a P2004. You're right; they're not built for flight school abuse (and I doubt any LSA is) but I was surprised at how well they held up. The planes at First Landings were hitting 100hr inspections about every 6 to 8 weeks and that's a lot of flying. I think for the average pilot flying recreationally a Tecnam would do pretty well. @Cluemeister owned a P2008 (IIRC) for a while, so maybe he'll share his experience.

In any case, @FLEngineer , stay away from buying a used flight school LSA. Students beat the daylights out of those planes and they're not really built for it.

I owned a P2008 and it was a great airplane. But you're not going to find one for $80k. I trained in the skycatcher, and I thought it was a decent airplane. I don't know anyone with more time in a skycatcher than @Flocker , I would get his opinion.

I bought a factory built 2008 AMD 601XL-B Zodiac SLSA in 2016. It had less than 100 hours total time on it and had accident damage history (right wing, firewall) that was properly repaired by an FAA certified repair station. The previous owner was an 85 year old retired ATP who had health problems and didn't feel he could safely fly. It had been flown regularly on short trips around SoCal and the engine (O-200-A) had been torn down, inspected, and rebuilt after a prop strike when the accident happened. Since AMD went out of business in 2010 and it was an orphan, I had the airworthiness changed to experimental ELSA at Rainbow Aviation Services. I took Rainbow's light sport repairman-inspection 16 hour class and got the FAA LSR-I certificate for my airplane so I can perform my own condition inspections, and because it's experimental I can perform maintenance and modifications on it. I paid $49,950 for it and have found it perfect for the kind of flying I do (mostly solo VFR locally with some 500 - 1000 mile cross-countries). One nice thing about the Zodiac and the RV-12 is that both are available as SLSAs and owner built experimental, so complete plans are available at modest cost from Zenith (Zodiac) and Van's (RV-12).

If I wanted a Skycatcher, I wouldn't be dissuaded because it's an orphan; I'd take it experimental and not look back. My Zodiac has an O-200-A, and I've found that it's a single place airplane with full fuel. The C-162 has a similar useful load problem with its O-200-D, so if you want a passenger along on cross-countries I'd be looking for something with a Rotax 912 which gives you another 100 pounds of useful load. Other lighter engines are the Jabiru 3300 and UL Power 350iS. Neither is as light as the Rotax, but significantly lighter than the O-200.

Last edited:
I owned a P2008 and it was a great airplane. But you're not going to find one for $80k. I trained in the skycatcher, and I thought it was a decent airplane. I don't know anyone with more time in a skycatcher than @Flocker , I would get his opinion.

It was a great trainer but not very practical for long cross countries. No way I'd pay $80K for one. There are plenty of better LSA options in that price range that have full support and better performance. I flew just about every LSA before I purchased my current plane. If you've only flown the 162, you should shop around.

PS - What's your mission 90% of the time?

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Last edited:
Back