Should I NOT buy a Cessna 162 Skycatcher?

You're right; they're not built for flight school abuse (and I doubt any LSA is)
Supposedly the 162 was built for flight school use. I'd still recommend the OP look around more at other SLSA though.

RV12s are pretty damn sweet to fly. I’m not very well educated on SLSAs, but I have a ton of faith in Vans, have flown an RV12, and wouldn’t have any of the worries you’ll be facing with the 162. I can’t imagine, but don’t know, that an RV12 would be much more than what you’re considering, cost-wise.
An SLSA RV-12, maybe. I paid a whole lot less for my RV-12. Granted, market conditions then were different... but if you're not set on something brand new and really pretty, there are deals that pop up from time to time.

Do you think you would be able to get a hangar at your local airport? Your options for LSAs opens up quite a bit if you can buy a plane that doesn't have to sit out in the rain and sun.

Here's what I see for some of the main models mentioned:View attachment 105343 View attachment 105344 View attachment 105345
Flight Design is shutting down due to the area where their factory is located (in Ukraine) having been captured by the Russian military. They are looking to relocate to the Czech Republic, but it's anybody's guess as to whether they will succeed. This has obvious implications for future availability of replacement parts. :(

https://www.flyingmag.com/flight-design-secures-ukraine-plant-and-employees/

I have a couple hundred hours in a skycatcher. It was a fun plane, but I didn't buy it when my buddy offered it to me at $45k, but then again, I had no real use for it.

Do you think you would be able to get a hangar at your local airport? Your options for LSAs opens up quite a bit if you can buy a plane that doesn't have to sit out in the rain and sun.

I will be on uncovered tie downs for a while. Every airport I've checked has wait lists for hangers and covered spots. I'm just not learning that this may rule out composite aircraft as well, due to problems from storing outdoors.

I will be on uncovered tie downs for a while. Every airport I've checked has wait lists for hangers and covered spots. I'm just not learning that this may rule out composite aircraft as well, due to problems from storing outdoors.
I have some extra hangers I could send you. ;)

Don't ask me. I fly a 81 year old airplane that was made in the final year of a run that saw 476 combined CP-65, FP-65, and LP-65s manufactured.

Last edited:
Are you sure you don't want a Luscombe or an Ercoupe?
Sure I do, they are both fine airplanes. I'll PM my address, and even spring for ferry cost and a night on the town when you arrive.

Back