Should I buy a high wing or a low wing airplane?

P&P is full of it. Any list of sexiest airplanes that doesn't include the P51 Mustang has zero credibility.

P-51 sexy? Only gay men would agree with that. :rolleyes:

So you agree... or not?
Nevermind
I won't ask if you don't tell :p

Doesn't compare with a Spit in the sexy airplane ranks. Like comparing a supermodel with my battle hardened high school history teacher.

Really? You found that the structs on Cessnas were a problem?
You are right, I misspoke. I did not mean the wing strut, it was the landing gear and wheels you had to maneuver around. I'm 6'1" and it was a bit awkward ducking under the wing and stepping over the gear and wheelpant.

I flew about an hour today then filled up the tanks, changed the oil, added brake fluid and wiped the plane down with rinseless wash. I guess I'm tired tonight.

Last edited:
You are right, I misspoke. I did not mean the wing strut, it was the landing gear and wheels you had to maneuver around. I'm 6'1" and it was a bit awkward ducking under the wing and stepping over the gear and wheelpant.

I flew about an hour today then filled up the tanks, changed the oil, added brake fluid and wiped the plane down with rinseless wash. I guess I'm tired tonight.

OK, I gotcha. Yeah I'm 6-1 also and getting up on the structs to check fuel and caps is a big pain. Usually have to go get a ladder.

OK, I gotcha. Yeah I'm 6-1 also and getting up on the structs to check fuel and caps is a big pain. Usually have to go get a ladder.
You must fly an ancient high-wing then. The modern high-wings have strut steps that even us short folk can use to get to the fuel cap.

It was for my wife, but she has knee problems. Low wing she has problems too, but I can help getting her down.
She ever try a Cardinal? They’re a little more accessible for individuals like that. They sit a little lower, so you can basically just slide into it.

Low wing with airstair. Best of both worlds.
Even better, low wing, air stair, tailwheel and radial engines. All the bases covered....
b579a1ce10b89009275e722faeb4e95b.jpg

You must fly an ancient high-wing then. The modern high-wings have strut steps that even us short folk can use to get to the fuel cap.

Where's the strut step on a Cessna Skycatcher, Vashon Ranger, CTLS or Tecnam P2010?

The real way to decide-

How much useless crap do you want to... no, have to store in your hangar?

;)

Pretty badass. I'll have to do that at Osh one year with my girl. We'll both be smiling a lot. I love the warbirds.
Great sound even though it's loud.

Although, some may call me crazy, nothing sounds as sweet as a twin.

And here I thought it was for the beautiful diamond imprints on your forehead!

The funny thing is that the only time I've hit my head while pre-flighting a Cessna it was the top of my head on the corner of a flap that was lowered for inspection. That hurt. No diamond imprints on my forehead, however. :D

Now, high wing vs. low wing? In the words of a friend of mine - "It depends". And the arguments for both (and against both) have been given well in previous posts. I have more time in high wings, but my problem with the Arrow had nothing to do with high wing vs. low wing. YMMV.

80 & 81 models, but I'm an old basturd, so...

She ever try a Cardinal? They’re a little more accessible for individuals like that. They sit a little lower, so you can basically just slide into it.
That’s true and they look good. We even looked at a few. You need to be careful what year they are and what hp engine. The rg’s had a history of some gear problems especially the 12 volt versions.

My 5'2" wife with both knees replaced is why I bought a Cardinal. I agree it takes some maneuvering to get under the wing and over the wheel pants but it's worth it.

Okay, maybe the high wing isn’t as sexy, but you can’t do this with your low wing!
:popcorn:

View attachment 61242

Nice! With the RV-9A (28' wingspan) in the hangar, I can fit my car on one side and the scooter on the other...but not as neatly as your Cessna/Vettes combo. :D

The RV-7 guys could probably put a car on either side.

Had an '05 C6 (w/Z51 pkg and manual trans) once. Loved it!

If you're older and stiffening up, sumping a low-wing's tanks or tying it down becomes a pain. Literally. Especially when there's snow on the ground or it's wet or muddy. If you're a mechanic, you get tired of walking all the way around the thing in the shop. You get tired of bending backward over the wing spar to get your head under the instrument panel to fix something.

Has anyone ever seen a bird with low wings? Or walking around with his nose on the ground?

It was my dream from long ago to have a plane with a corvette under each wing. That picture is pretty much what I had always envisioned. A relatively modest dream but a lot of hard work to turn into reality.

Nice! With the RV-9A (28' wingspan) in the hangar, I can fit my car on one side and the scooter on the other...but not as neatly as your Cessna/Vettes combo. :D

The RV-7 guys could probably put a car on either side.

Had an '05 C6 (w/Z51 pkg and manual trans) once. Loved it!

What airplane to buy as always come down to the mission. The location of the wing is nearly immaterial save for aesthetic reasons.

This is true, there are high wing and low wing that can be found to fit most missions (with the exception of back country stuff and then high wings have a decided advantage). However I have always been partial to the way the low wing looks, hence the reason I did my PPL at a school that had Cherokee's and then bought my Mooney.

Has anyone seen any birds flying around with their feet dangling straight down? If it doesn't have retractable gear, it isn't a proper airplane.

Also true in my book. The first time I took off in my Mooney and was able to retract the gear I felt like I was "really flying." :)

Back