Shock cooling - and related damage. is it a myth?

Well that’s how they are manufactured, doing the opposite by freezing the cylinder, heating the head in an oven so when they equalize it’s a permanent fit. So I can at least imagine it happening but yes, maybe adding some super cooled precipitation might do it.
We need data on cracked cylinder heads, I’m betting they show up on turbocharged planes flown high.
One of the clues is "where" they crack.....they don't crack where the cold is applied "outside"....they tend to crack in the roof of the "inside" of the exhaust port...on the inside.

Finally. How can we under-estimate the time-tested importance of "johnson (wagging)" on such a forum?
If the johnson is cooled rapidly shrinkage results. Never heard of one cracking though...

I once tried to pee outside at -60f.

Talk about serious shock cooling if you know what I mean....

Tried? C'mon... when you've gotta go? You go. The worst part is stripping off the gloves so you can dig through the five layers of clothing to get to it, and then hoping you can stretch it far enough to clear those five layers of clothing!

We routinely ride snowgos in -30 and lower temps. One learned item is how to keep the beer from freezing, because we drink beer when we ride. The next problem is making sure that once you open it you can finish it before it freezes. And then you can revisit the comments in line 1!

Tried? C'mon... when you've gotta go? You go. The worst part is stripping off the gloves so you can dig through the five layers of clothing to get to it, and then hoping you can stretch it far enough to clear those five layers of clothing!

We routinely ride snowgos in -30 and lower temps. One learned item is how to keep the beer from freezing, because we drink beer when we ride. The next problem is making sure that once you open it you can finish it before it freezes. And then you can revisit the comments in line 1!
be an astronaut.....one word......Depends. o_O

If the johnson is cooled rapidly shrinkage results. Never heard of one cracking though...
Technically it is referred to as fractured and yes they are not a pretty sight.

I did not hear the hammer dropping... but this thread definitely got shock cooled

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ya but....not for 20,000 hrs. :confused:

and....I imagine your stick and rudder skills must be stellar....along with your button pressing impressions. o_O
Obviously you have nothing factual to back up the low blow.

I’m not even sure why you would say that.

Interesting thread. It brings up a couple questions for me:
1. Has anybody ever seen shock cooling cited in an NTSB report as the probable cause of an accident?
2. Has anybody ever seen shock cooling discussed in a POH? If so, what was the maximum allowable cooling rate specified by the manufacturer?
Thanks,
Mike

Lycoming publishes that the maximum recommended temperature change should not exceed 50 degrees F per minute.

I baby my engine and do my best to respect it. I generally try to plan ahead and reduce power slowly for a smooth 500 fpm descent. No danger of 'shock cooling' there, and it's easy on the plane, pilot and passengers. But if I need the plane to come down more quickly for some reason, so be it.

The POH for my C-T182T is silent as to shock cooling. Lyc TIO-540-AK1A
It does mention that on extended let-downs to keep cowl flaps closed (unless hot conditions) so as to keep CHT at approximately two-thirds of the normal operating range (green arc: 200 degF to 500 degF).

Back