Shallow thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheelpilot

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tarheelpilot
So I’m making my way from California to North Carolina today and I’m chilling out in Dallas enjoying a short layover courtesy of American Airlines.

I have made a few observations:

1: I am more willing to pay for airport alcohol when it means I can relax without my covid face covering.

2: If I have more than one reason to day drink I can drink a lot.

3: I should not reply to threads that require more than a third grade vocabulary in these situations.

@Doc Holliday where are you. I owe you a round ;-).

relax without my covid face covering
I hear ya. A little off topic, but it makes me wonder how sanitary the mask wearing thing is. I get the purpose, don't get me wrong, but I see people in the checkout line or at the table in a dine-in restaurant, scrunch that little mask up and put it in their pocket, and then pull it back out and unfold it with the same hand they just used to handle their money or grab the door handle. People feel 'safe' with it, but it's probably not much cleaner than the toilet seat if you don't handle it with proper care. Personally, I feel just as safe without it

So I’m making my way from California to North Carolina today and I’m chilling out in Dallas enjoying a short layover courtesy of American Airlines.

I have made a few observations:

1: I am more willing to pay for airport alcohol when it means I can relax without my covid face covering.

2: If I have more than one reason to day drink I can drink a lot.

3: I should not reply to threads that require more than a third grade vocabulary in these situations.

@Doc Holliday where are you. I owe you a round ;-).

Hanging out at the Oriental in Tombstone, playing a bit of Faro. ;)

* sigh *

We could met for food/beverages

I only had about two hours in DFW to sip on bourbon before the second leg. Occasionally I go cheap and have a longer layover at the DFW. I’ll let you know next time I’m rolling through town. I do this trip every month so I’m sure we will have an opportunity.

I hear ya. A little off topic, but it makes me wonder how sanitary the mask wearing thing is. I get the purpose, don't get me wrong, but I see people in the checkout line or at the table in a dine-in restaurant, scrunch that little mask up and put it in their pocket, and then pull it back out and unfold it with the same hand they just used to handle their money or grab the door handle. People feel 'safe' with it, but it's probably not much cleaner than the toilet seat if you don't handle it with proper care. Personally, I feel just as safe without it

yeah, one of the problems with thinking that masks are a panacea is the poor usage. There are videos out there wrt how to properly use a mask (and re-use a mask), but it all seems to come down to:

Wash or sanitize your hands before touching the mask (e.g., putting it on, taking it off, or even just touching it)

Wash or sanitize your hands after touching the mask.

If you take off the mask (and intend to use it again), don't touch the outside of the mask, fold it so that the outside of the mask is only touching the outside.

I have found the mid cabin exit row window seats on the airbus to be the most enjoyable seats. Plenty of leg room and almost always a junior flight attendant. Being a junior flight attendant it gives me at least a 1:10 odds of enjoying the conversation. First class and seats near the aft cabin are almost always a G.

yeah, one of the problems with thinking that masks are a panacea is the poor usage. There are videos out there wrt how to properly use a mask (and re-use a mask), but it all seems to come down to:

Wash or sanitize your hands before touching the mask (e.g., putting it on, taking it off, or even just touching it)

If you take off the mask (and intend to use it again), don't touch the outside of the mask, fold it so that the outside of the mask is only touching the outside.

And if you are wearing the mask to protect you, that's all correct. And you need a good quality mask that's well fitted. But the main purpose of widespread mask usage is to prevent you from spreading your germs to others. For that you can get away with sloppier usage and poorer masks. They're just to break up the flow of air and micro droplets before they fly across the room...

Today I tried the minimize mask usage and sterilize mouth with alcohol approach. So far I think it’s dandy.

But the main purpose of widespread mask usage is to prevent you from spreading your germs to others. For that you can get away with sloppier usage and poorer masks.
That's still pretty obtuse thinking though. ''I can be sloppy with my mask usage because I'm trying to prevent my germs from being spread to others.''

What about spreading outside contaminants and infecting yourself because your mask handling practices were subpar?

image.jpg

We pushed off D37 and are approaching the bridge on Alpha. Hasn’t left yet but he’s crapping a lot.

took off halfway across the bridge. I’m surprised it stuck around that long.

That's still pretty obtuse thinking though. ''I can be sloppy with my mask usage because I'm trying to prevent my germs from being spread to others.''

What about spreading outside contaminants and infecting yourself because your mask handling practices were subpar?

If most others are actually wearing them (which is true where I am) there's little contamination likely to be on my mask. My hands are a somewhat different story but I actually only handle the ear pieces of mine. And I wash my hands frequently.

While it's not ideal, so far so good. (As the man who fell from the Empire State building said as he passed thee 20th floor...)

And if you are wearing the mask to protect you, that's all correct. And you need a good quality mask that's well fitted. But the main purpose of widespread mask usage is to prevent you from spreading your germs to others. For that you can get away with sloppier usage and poorer masks. They're just to break up the flow of air and micro droplets before they fly across the room...

I don't agree that the main purpose of masks is to protect others. I realize what some people claim is the purpose and value.

And wrt to the claim of "break up the flow"... think about where the air does go.

I don't agree that the main purpose of masks is to protect others. I realize what some people claim is the purpose and value.

And wrt to the claim of "break up the flow"... think about where the air does go.

I know where the air goes. Around my face. And fogs my glasses. But it's stuff I'm already breathing.

Whether you buy it or not, if your purpose is to protect yourself with a mask, you need a much better mask and much better handling techniques than most folks use. I do know that coughing and sneezing can send air and droplets several feet. Unless you're wearing even a thin cloth mask. Try blowing out a candle with one on.

I have found the mid cabin exit row window seats on the airbus to be the most enjoyable seats. Plenty of leg room and almost always a junior flight attendant. Being a junior flight attendant it gives me at least a 1:10 odds of enjoying the conversation. First class and seats near the aft cabin are almost always a G.

Is that G as in Granny? Or Gender

We've been told over and over that the mask's purpose isn't to protect you, it's to protect others from you. If that's the case, all the sanitation you mentioned for using the mask is pointless; it doesn't do anything to keep others safer.

If our medical community is to be believed, the mask is basically just a breath shield to prevent exhaled particulates from traveling very far. The mask does that equally well whether or not you wash your hands before wearing it.

Seems like a lot of messin' around. Here's what I do, but I'm probably wrong: I keep a zip bag in the car with a cotton ball soaked in 70% isopropyl and one mask. On the way to the store, I pull the damp thing out and air it before I put it on. When I come out, I put it back in the bag until next time. Would that work for you? Oh, and when I get home I wash my eyeballs for 20 seconds in soap and water. NOT, just kidding.

Here's a shallow thought: We fought a war over states seceding, right? Well, what if the rest of us wanted to kick a state out? How would that war go? "If you don't keep us, we'll kill you?"

I only go places that don’t require a mask, and if for some reason I have to, I keep it below my nose. I think having fogged glasses is a personal hazard so I’d rather take my chances with Covid.

Your cloth face covering is there to reduce the amount of droplets and aerosols that you put in the air, so no, you aren't safer wearing one, it's there to reduce the chances of giving an illness to everyone else, and everyone else's mask reduces your chances of catching someone from them.

If the mask is that bothersome, then just stay home.

Sorry, science disproves that,but hey, it makes the sheep feel good.

Your cloth face covering is there to reduce the amount of droplets and aerosols that you put in the air, so no, you aren't safer wearing one, it's there to reduce the chances of giving an illness to everyone else, and everyone else's mask reduces your chances of catching someone from them.

If the mask is that bothersome, then just stay home.
Might want to go back and re-read my post. It’s not arguing against anything you’re referring to here.

Might want to go back and re-read my post. It’s not arguing against anything you’re referring to here.
I was replying to your line about feeling just as safe without the mask. You are just as safe without the mask, unless said mask is a properly fitted M95 mask. The masks we all wear are to protect each other, not ourselves.

Not entirely, many recent studies show that mask wearing cuts down on your inhaled viral load, vastly decreasing (65%) your chances of symptomatic infection. In other words, wearing a mask stops most of the virus, allowing your body to more effectively fight the infection.
https://www.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/news/your-mask-cuts-own-risk-65-percent/

I was replying to your line about feeling just as safe without the mask. You are just as safe without the mask, unless said mask is a properly fitted M95 mask. The masks we all wear are to protect each other, not ourselves.
Keep reading, you stopped a few words short of the main point.

People feel 'safe' with it, but it's probably not much cleaner than the toilet seat if you don't handle it with proper care.

Of course they’re supposed to protect each other, but it’s pretty ridiculous for someone to think that it’s okay to handle your mask so carelessly and potentially transmit germs to yourself and make you sick in the process by wearing a dirty piece of cloth, but it makes them feel ‘safe’ by having it over their mouth, even though it’s full of bacteria and who knows what.

Last edited:
A kiddie pool....

Puddles....

Does this make my butt look big?....

The neighbors have a nicer car than we do.....

Ask not what you can do for your country....demand things for free....

This is way too easy...what's with all the mask crap in a fun thread?

A kiddie pool....

Puddles....

Does this make my butt look big?....

The neighbors have a nicer car than we do.....

Ask not what you can do for your country....demand things for free....

This is way too easy...what's with all the mask crap in a fun thread?
Lol. No doubt I was pondering the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back