Shallow thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny how with the internet you can type a search term into Google and get an answer from a pretty reputable site within seconds but ignorant people will spend hours (days, weeks, months) arguing their misinformed opinions and trying to force them on others.

Masks, viruses and science don’t really care about how you feel about them or whether or not you believe in them. I’ve seen plenty of people who didn’t think they were having a heart attack (or aortic dissection or sepsis) when they really were and I’m sorry to report that none of these diseases care about your uninformed opinions.

We’ve seen what happens in the terms of lives lost and economic devastation when you let a virus spread like wildfire. And yet still you have people shouting “I don’t believe in water! Those firefighters don’t know crap about fires. I’m going to pour gasoline on myself instead because some random guy on the internet with no formal training in anything except mashing on his keyboard told me to.”

If refrigerated trucks full of corpses, ICUs overflowing with patients and more Americans dead than in Vietnam and WW I combined doesn’t convince you that we have a problem, well then you’re not really a “facts” guy.

Have fun not “living in fear” and watching people die because you didn’t do your part to stop this thing.

Edit: Changed WWII to WWI.

Last edited:

We’ve seen what happens in the terms of lives lost and economic devastation when you let a virus spread like wildfire. ....
And we're currently seeing what happens "in the terms of lives lost and economic devastation" when you let government mandates, forced business closures and curtailments, and scientifically unproven mandates run rampant in unforeseen magnitudes in REACTION to a virus that causes fatalities or lasting health problems in 3.1% of CONFIRMED cases in the US (Johns Hopkins) or 52.52 deaths per 100,000 of the population (Johns Hopkins)... that's 0.05%. 0.05% of the US population...yet we're assuring, via our reactions TO the virus, that the entire population of the country is severely harmed economically, mentally, and physically. Now, which way of thinking about this is more shallow?

Sheeesh..here we go again. IBTL.

If refrigerated trucks full of corpses, ICUs overflowing with patients and more Americans dead than in Vietnam or WW II doesn’t convince you that we have a problem, well then you’re not really a “facts” guy.

Have fun not “living in fear” and watching people die because you didn’t do your part to stop this thing.
Apparently you're not a "facts" guy either. :rolleyes:
No matter how you count it we have a ways to go before we get there and I hope we never do.

My shallow thought for the day is that using solar panels to power an air conditioning unit is like using the Sun's power against itself.

I wouldn’t call it fun, more like pity for others who think their limited view of the facts constitute all of reality.
So out of curiosity, are any of you flying with a mask on? I’m about to start instructing again and I wonder if some of the students will expect masks. I won’t be wearing one but as long as they manage it properly I don’t mind if they do.

Masks carry their own risks. Dentists are seeing it. https://nypost.com/2020/08/05/mask-mouth-is-a-seriously-stinky-side-effect-of-wearing-masks/

...and http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/fischer/200806

The author of that second article cites many authoritative sources. An excerpt from his article:

The cloth masks, homemade or not, are the worst. Cloth masks do not filter anything, going out or coming in. As you breathe out all you are doing is trapping carbon dioxide in your mask, which is the one thing cloth masks are actually good at. So by wearing one, you are endangering your health more than you are protecting it. The moisture from your breath is caught in these masks and can become mildew-ridden overnight. You may wind up with mask-induced dry coughing, allergies, and a sore throat from the micro-mold in your mask.

As with aviation, there are compromises everywhere. The medical community will likely find a whole lot of nasty side effects from wearing cheap masks constantly.

When I paint I use a good respirator with an exhaust valve and two charcoal organic vapor filters. I am always surprised at the amount of moisture left in that mask after only ten minutes.

And we're currently seeing what happens "in the terms of lives lost and economic devastation" when you let government mandates, forced business closures and curtailments, and scientifically unproven mandates run rampant in unforeseen magnitudes in REACTION to a virus that causes fatalities or lasting health problems in 3.1% of CONFIRMED cases in the US (Johns Hopkins) or 52.52 deaths per 100,000 of the population (Johns Hopkins)... that's 0.05%. 0.05% of the US population...yet we're assuring, via our reactions TO the virus, that the entire population of the country is severely harmed economically, mentally, and physically. Now, which way of thinking about this is more shallow?

Sheeesh..here we go again. IBTL.

Good point. To a point. Any speculation on what those numbers would be without said restrictions. Or less severe, but effective restrictions had been enacted in a more timely manner?

It’s funny how with the internet you can type a search term into Google and get an answer from a pretty reputable site within seconds but ignorant people will spend hours (days, weeks, months) arguing their misinformed opinions and trying to force them on others.

Masks, viruses and science don’t really care about how you feel about them or whether or not you believe in them. I’ve seen plenty of people who didn’t think they were having a heart attack (or aortic dissection or sepsis) when they really were and I’m sorry to report that none of these diseases care about your uninformed opinions.

We’ve seen what happens in the terms of lives lost and economic devastation when you let a virus spread like wildfire. And yet still you have people shouting “I don’t believe in water! Those firefighters don’t know crap about fires. I’m going to pour gasoline on myself instead because some random guy on the internet with no formal training in anything except mashing on his keyboard told me to.”

If refrigerated trucks full of corpses, ICUs overflowing with patients and more Americans dead than in Vietnam or WW II doesn’t convince you that we have a problem, well then you’re not really a “facts” guy.

take this crap somewhere else.

Apparently you're not a "facts" guy either. :rolleyes:
No matter how you count it we have a ways to go before we get there and I hope we never do.

My shallow thought for the day is that using solar panels to power an air conditioning unit is like using the Sun's power against itself.

US COVID-19 deaths 172,092
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

US Vietnam war deaths 58,220
https://www.archives.gov/research/military/vietnam-war/casualty-statistics

US WWI deaths 53,402 (sorry, but I mistakenly wrote WWII instead of WWI. I will correct it).
https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf

The point is, we’re already there. And people seemed to think those wars individually were a big deal.

As far as lowering your oxygen level or retaining your CO2 with masks, that’s a bunch of crap and has been thoroughly debunked, but thanks for spreading that.

And I also appreciate those of you willing to educate me more about this disease, especially how benign it is. I’ve been treating patients in the emergency department for over 20 years, seen over 100 COVID patients (including about a half dozen who died) and just spent 12 hours seeing more patients overnight but clearly you guys know more than I do and have a lot to teach me about this based on your unbiased “research.”

And why do people who start a conversation suddenly want it to stop when it doesn’t go their way? Free advice: Don’t say stupid things and then you won’t have to worry about being called out on it.

US WWI deaths 53,402 (sorry, but I mistakenly wrote WWII instead of WWI. I will correct it).

The point is, we’re already there. And people seemed to think those wars individually were a big deal.

As far as lowering your oxygen level or retaining your CO2 with masks, that’s a bunch of crap and has been thoroughly debunked, but thanks for spreading that.

And I also appreciate those of you willing to educate me more about this disease, especially how benign it is. I’ve been treating patients in the emergency department for over 20 years, seen over 100 COVID patients (including about a half dozen who died) and just spent 12 hours seeing more patients overnight but clearly you guys know more than I do and have a lot to teach me about this based on your unbiased “research.”

And why do people who start a conversation suddenly want it to stop when it doesn’t go their way? Free advice: Don’t say stupid things and then you won’t have to worry about being called out on it.
Just stop. Take it somewhere else.

Just stop. Take it somewhere else.

You brought it here, buddy. I was just hoping to relax after an exhausting shift and read about my lifelong hobby which I’ve enjoyed for 30 years while deciding which Angel Flight blood missions I can do on my days off, but you guys decided this was an appropriate place to spew your uninformed unscientific crap. I’m sorry if I’m not gobbling it up and giving you a high five but it doesn’t jibe with reality.

You brought it here, buddy. I was just hoping to relax after an exhausting shift and read about my lifelong hobby which I’ve enjoyed for 30 years while deciding which Angel Flight blood missions I can do on my days off, but you guys decided this was an appropriate place to spew your uninformed unscientific crap. I’m sorry if I’m not gobbling it up and giving you a high five but it doesn’t jibe with reality.
********. I did not bring anything and you are not my buddy.

All I posted about was day drinking, hitchhiking birds and which seats I liked on my airline flight. You just better check your attitude

4,700,000 Americans served in WWI
53,402 deaths = 1.14%

2,709,918 Americans served in the Vietnam War
58,220 deaths = 2.14%

us covid deaths 172,092
328,200,000 = .05%

"It’s funny how with the internet you can type a search term into Google and get an answer from a pretty reputable site within seconds but ignorant people will spend hours (days, weeks, months) arguing their misinformed opinions and trying to force them on others."

Yes, you did.
You are really dense if you think that’s scientific based or commentary about any social policies. If that’s what you take from my post you are a Karen looking for an argument.

Once again cut it out. I don’t care what you think, feel or want in regards to any public policy and discussions of those things are not welcome here.

I was just hoping to relax after an exhausting shift and read about my lifelong hobby which I’ve enjoyed for 30 years while deciding which Angel Flight blood missions I can do on my days off, but you guys decided this was an appropriate place to spew your uninformed unscientific crap. I’m sorry if I’m not gobbling it up and giving you a high five but it doesn’t jibe with reality.
Nobody forced you to participate in the discussion. It’s not our fault you decided to get bent out of shape and create an argument either.

Nobody forced you to participate in the discussion. It’s not our fault you decided to get bent out of shape and create an argument either.

And nobody forced you to say your uninformed, unscientific, inaccurate politically motivated statements either. But you did.

I’m sorry I got bent out of shape. My wife’s grandmother just tested positive for COVID last week. We found out yesterday. She was tested because her roommate at the nursing home also tested positive and is now dead.

The outbreak was traced back to a party that several of the staff members attended during their time off, where they did not practice social distancing or wear masks. So far about 35 patients have tested positive and 3 have died.

So, I’m sorry but I don’t think this stuff is funny. Maybe if your family members start getting infected and dying you won’t think it’s funny either. I certainly hope that doesn’t happen to you or anyone else here, but maybe you can why some don’t share you sense of humor about this disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back