Sell my airplane now or wait

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I've owned my 1957 182 for nearly 9 years & really like it but I don't fly it very often because I'm a chief flight instructor & don't fly recreationally much anymore. I've found an airplane that I'd like to buy that I believe I'd fly more often for enjoyment. My 182 is valued at $130,000 & I won't go into all the details.

I'm pondering whether I should sell the 182 now or wait until the proposed Mosaic passes? As proposed my airplane would qualify under the new Mosaic rules. I think it's value would increase if & when Mosaic passes. I could afford both airplanes now but wouldn't want to keep both long term due to ownership costs.

What does the brain trust think?

My 182.

Attachments

• F444C3E6-BDE1-43CE-AEDF-01EB5E169E2B.jpeg
    F444C3E6-BDE1-43CE-AEDF-01EB5E169E2B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
The problem with waiting for Mosaic is that when it passes, not only will there be more people able to buy your plane but there will also now be thousands of other planes available for them to consider purchasing. I would not count on Mosaic raising the value of your airplane as supply increases as well as demand when it passes. You are counting on demand being greater than the supply and driving up prices but I’m betting it will be about a wash.

Trying to time the approval of Mosaic is time wasted. Sell the plane on your schedule.
This.

It probably costs you $10-20K a year to keep, insure, fly, and maintain the 182. Plus you carry the risk of it being damaged or the engine coming from together.

Sell it now if you don't have a future with it.

I don't think Mosaic is going to have any impact on plane purchases or values. Sell the plane now if you can, the more it sits the less it's worth.

I don't think Mosaic is going to have any impact on plane purchases or values. Sell the plane now if you can, the more it sits the less it's worth.
If anything I think it will have a negative impact on the value of LSAs.

If anything I think it will have a negative impact on the value of LSAs.
If Mosaic passes as proposed, I suspect the value of existing LSAs will go down, current "almost LSAs" (think C-150, others just a big above 1320#) will go up, and larger / faster 4 seaters won't change much.

ymmv but the population most served by the LSA rules are the older crowd. Most of them I know don't give a rat's behind about what the FAA thinks lol.

Insurance will probably negate most of the medical benefits gained by Mosaic. Unless buyers without medicals are willing to fly uninsured, I would bet there will be no significant change.

You have a gorgeous 182 (Square tails rule), good luck with the sale :). Just curious, what are you going to buy?

Mosaic wont mean a hill of beans wrt narrow cabin 182. I'd sell now. Theyll try to keep the consumption charade up until the elections, but this thing might tank before then, and your resale "value" down with it. But thats my WAG and what you paid for it.

Echoing above votes for sell, I will add that we've seen decreases in real estate valuation in our area. I would suggest that tightening credit combined with recent large increases in asset pricing may slow further price increases in luxury goods as well.

Insurance will probably negate most of the medical benefits gained by Mosaic. Unless buyers without medicals are willing to fly uninsured, I would bet there will be no significant change.

You have a gorgeous 182 (Square tails rule), good luck with the sale :). Just curious, what are you going to buy?
Looking at a 2009 CubCrafter Top Cub. 700 hours tt.

Took many other variables that could go the opposite way to negate your awaiting Mosaic (assuming it would have the effect you’re thinking).

Keep the 182 ;)
I'm curious why you said that? It appears you're a tailwheel guy. One of the reasons I would trade to feel more tailwheel proficient. I do some tailwheel instruction including in a Cessna 180 but would like to feel more competent.

I'm curious why you said that? It appears you're a tailwheel guy. One of the reasons I would trade to feel more tailwheel proficient. I do some tailwheel instruction including in a Cessna 180 but would like to feel more competent.
I'll PM you

Back