SDF Approaches

Stets66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stets656
I was wondering if an aircraft that has just a standard VOR/LOC receiver and antenna would be able to shoot an SDF approach or if it would need a specific SDF receiver for that. I thought I read somewhere in the AIM that they all operate on the same VHF freqs.

Thanks

The first approach I flew in actual after getting my IR was the SDF at Tullahoma, TN enroute to Panama City. At about 100' above minimums, my wife gasped. My head was still down and I exclaimed "What???". She said "The runway is right in front of us!!!". I looked up and we had broken out. I think she was surprised at how low we were.

You can't buy that kind of compliment. :D

gps overlay in lieu of adf. still need vor receiver though.

Last edited:
There was once upon a time an SDF approach into Concord, CA. I flew it 1 1/2 times. the second time, I had a total electrical failure while IMC with a student, so I never finished the approach...

There was once upon a time an SDF approach into Concord, CA. I flew it 1 1/2 times. the second time, I had a total electrical failure while IMC with a student, so I never finished the approach...

Well??? Ya can’t leave that just hangin there.

SDF uses the same modulation as the LOC (and frequencies). It's just a wider spread.

The course width is the only difference between an SDF and an LOC.

Well??? Ya can’t leave that just hangin there.

OK, sure...

When the cockpit went black (it was at night), I discovered the student had turned on only the battery side of the split generator switch (bad design, I think). We climbed and turned to avoid what is now the SFO class B and held a heading to return to KRHV. We broke out enroute, descended below the ceiling and continued visually to an uneventful no-flap landing without a landing light...

This was back before cell phones and tablets, so I went strictly on the weather forecast. We also had enough fuel to attempt a few other contingencies, but we (I) learned a lesson about preparation for night flight and IMC planning...

OK, sure...

When the cockpit went black (it was at night), I discovered the student had turned on only the battery side of the split generator switch (bad design, I think).
Bad checklist use, I think :D

I did it too, but day VFR. I was in the Orlando Class B when the radios went dead. I was near the edge so turned away (which in hindsight I didn't need to do). Quick troubleshoot, flipped on the alternator, and we were back in business. Called Approach. They noticed I left and asked if I needed assistance. "Nah," I replied. "Just an idiot in the cockpit." They cleared me back into the Bravo.

Bad checklist use, I think :D

I did it too, but day VFR. I was in the Orlando Class B when the radios went dead. I was near the edge so turned away (which in hindsight I didn't need to do). Quick troubleshoot, flipped on the alternator, and we were back in business. Called Approach. They noticed I left and asked if I needed assistance. "Nah," I replied. "Just an idiot in the cockpit." They cleared me back into the Bravo.

I usually say "just a headset separator malfunction, it's ok now"

I've unfortunately used the "idiot pilot" line more than once :confused:
Haven't had to use that one just yet (though thinking back, I was in a pretty ripe situation for that comment).
But I have requested a return to the airport twice in the past because "someone forgot to latch my door". :D

I've flown an ILS into SDF, does that count?

Back