Savannah, GA - what should be on my "must see" list?

Something you REALLY need to do that hasn't been mentioned yet is to go to Fort Pulaski. Truly fascinating piece of history - And to see a fort that still has cannon rounds embedded in the walls from an invasion during the Civil War - Wow, it's just cool.

http://www.nps.gov/fopu/index.htm

Haven't been there in several years, but the best steak I've ever had was the Cinnamon Chile Rubbed Ribeye at the Tucson Grill. If it's still there, they have some awesome guacamole there too, they make it right at your table. I never liked guac until I had theirs. (Can't find it on Google Maps... Uh oh... :()

Late March or very early April IS a wonderful time in the SE US. It is magic then, when the rest of the world still thinks it's winter. The many public gardens are spectacular with the azaleas in bloom. I can see I need to get back to Savannah, armed with all this good advice! It's just that Charleston is so special (helps to have family there) that it's hard to coax the airplane past it headed south. This whole edge of the country is fabulous for GA flying, despite all the military ops and restricted areas.

You are brave. I haven't done that yet. Not sure you'll see a lot of "Savannah" but you'll for sure see a lot of people.
Not at all brave. My anniversary is St Patrick's day and we've been to the Savannah festivities a number of times. Love it!!! The Riverfront is the absolute best!

If some folks are thinking of a fly-in in the area while we're there, I think it would be great. Of course, I won't have an airplane :(

Forgot to mention:

Broughton Street for shopping. There are lots of little shops all over, but this is the main drag. If nothing else, visit The Savannah Bee Company for local honey or their products such as hand creams or lip balm made from beeswax.

<thread creep>
Do you have any series from Rainbow Row?
</thread creep>

I didn't walk that far down, this time.. and I can't remember if I took any from my last trip four years ago. I was with friends that visit who weren't into stopping every 20 feet for a photo.

I second the recommendations got the soho south cafe (lunch or breakfast) and the pink house (dinner).

On Hilton Head, get the ribeye at The Sage Room(!)

Just back from Mexico (work) and thought that I would add the St Bonaventure Cemetray where the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was filmed. This is a termendous old southern cemetary that people the world over go to visit and walk the grounds. Marvelous old statues and stone work. A must visit in Savanah

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ws-Bonaventure_Cemetery-Savannah_Georgia.html

Also get a map and take a walk through the city. Wonderful old architecture, gardens, parks, statues and fountains.

We stayed an extra day.

Thanks for all the great tips! We fly out tonight, and will incorporate much of the good advice offered here.

We're staying at the Hamilton-Turner Inn ( historic B&B ) tonight, breakfast there in the morning. On Wednesday we'll enjoy Paulie's Pizza for lunch, with dinner at Pour Richards, and explore Hilton Head in between (until check-in time at Palmetto Inn and Resort in Bluffton).

Thursday we'll enjoy breakfast at Walnut's Cafe before enjoying a personally (as opposed to group) guided walking tour of Savannah, then we'll head back to the Palmetto Inn to explore the grounds with a golf cart that came as part of our package before dinner at the Canoe Club, on property.

We've left Friday wide open to explore Savannah or any other little gems we discover, until our flight departs. Maybe I can find a GA airport with a C172 for rent, and go with an instructor for a little beach tour?

Last edited:
The only GA airport I know of is on HHI. Doubtless there are others but I haven't checked.

Paulie's and Pour Richards, cool! At Paulie's, get the wings as an app before the pizza.

If you are looking for a place to sit back with a beer and enjoy the view, Skull Creek Boathouse (as I mentioned before).

The only GA airport I know of is on HHI. Doubtless there are others but I haven't checked.

Paulie's and Pour Richards, cool! At Paulie's, get the wings as an app before the pizza.

If you are looking for a place to sit back with a beer and enjoy the view, Skull Creek Boathouse (as I mentioned before).

We'll do that, too!!

Oh, I do like FlightAware's new "Track inbound flight" feature, next to the flight number:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL2815

Although my flight shows to be on time, the inbound leg from Montrose CO is still on the ground, showing delayed by an hour.... this clues me in to an expected wait at DFW tonight. The Montrose flight WILL be delayed more than an hour, because its leg to DFW just LEFT DFW, and is still 1 hr 20 minutes out. Oh, joy.

Last edited:
Sounds like we need to plan a SE USA POA Fly-In. Just like we need to plan a West Coast POA Fly-In. Not an annual event, just a one-off that we can repeat on occasion, as desired.

West Coast heck yes I am in. I wish I could somehow arrange it but I really don't have the resources or know how.

Kimberly

Enjoy our state, Troy. Wish it were a little warmer for you all!

Enjoy our state, Troy. Wish it were a little warmer for you all!

No kidding. If he had been here last week, he would have been treated to 70* weather. Now it's "all the way" down to 50-something.

No kidding. If he had been here last week, he would have been treated to 70* weather. Now it's "all the way" down to 50-something.

Still warmer than it has been in North Central Texas!

Pizza at Paulie's was great... At the Pour House for dinner now. Resort gave us a complimentary Mercedes E550 sedan to drive to dinner. Nice!

Still warmer than it has been in North Central Texas!

Pizza at Paulie's was great... At the Pour House for dinner now. Resort gave us a complimentary Mercedes E550 sedan to drive to dinner. Nice!

Sweet! Love the photos on the beach today, too.

Anyone recommend the Crab Shack on Tybee Island yet? If not, I have a HUGE recommendation for that place. Its awesome.

Me three. Good eats and only partially filled with tourists :wink2:

Visit the nearby Fort Pulaski National Monument on the way. Worth an hour or two.

Don't forget to say high to the Dotsons as you run over their tombs on takeoff.

Thanks for all the great advice--we had an awesome trip! Saw much of what was offered up here--HHI, Tybee, The Crab Shack, the coal-fired Pizza place in Bluffton, Richard's Pour House, Fort Pulaski and Fort Screven, a walking tour of Savannah, Hilton Head Island airport, and, of course, the absolutely AMAZING grounds at Palmetto Bluff Inn. We'll definitely be back, and hopefully by GA next time!

I made it to Hilton Head and wow - what a beautiful airport and island. The weather was perfect this weekend. We wanted to do new years in Savannah but didn't want to pay $400nt for a holiday inn. The Hilton Oceanfront in HHi was amazing for $104 a night.

Troy, who was your walking tour with? The guy I went with last time (architectural) is away next wkd.

I'm definitely visiting the Crab Shack this time, too.

Troy, who was your walking tour with? The guy I went with last time (architectural) is away next wkd.

I'm definitely visiting the Crab Shack this time, too.

Bobby Davis... Look on Trip Advisor. He's one of the top "things to do".

Thank you!

We didn't do a walking tour, although we walked a fair bit.

We did visit the Crab Shack (those gators are creepy) and then spent part of the afternoon wandering around Bonaventure Cemetery. Hopefully, some of my photos turned out.

I attended a talk given by Pat Conroy Friday night. Savannah has festival after festival, and this past week was their annual book festival. Excellent speech! He's quite a funny guy. I've only read one of his books, I believe I will have to read the rest.

If anyone happens to wander down River Walk, starting March 1 I will be exhibiting some of my photos (for sale, full disclosure) at the Arts and Crafts Emporium. Mostly a lark, if I sold even one photo I'd be thrilled.

http://artsandcraftsemporium.com/about.html

Thank you!

We didn't do a walking tour, although we walked a fair bit.

We did visit the Crab Shack (those gators are creepy) and then spent part of the afternoon wandering around Bonaventure Cemetery. Hopefully, some of my photos turned out.

I attended a talk given by Pat Conroy Friday night. Savannah has festival after festival, and this past week was their annual book festival. Excellent speech! He's quite a funny guy. I've only read one of his books, I believe I will have to read the rest.

If anyone happens to wander down River Walk, starting March 1 I will be exhibiting some of my photos (for sale, full disclosure) at the Arts and Crafts Emporium. Mostly a lark, if I sold even one photo I'd be thrilled.

http://artsandcraftsemporium.com/about.html

Glad you had fun, and GOOD LUCK with the exhibit! Which photos did you choose to feature? Are they from your European travels?

Back