Savannah, GA - what should be on my "must see" list?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
My wife and I are headed to Savannah in GA and the Palmetto Bluff Inn in SC the last week of December for our 21st wedding anniversary.

We'll have a few hours in Savannah on Wednesday and Friday--anything in particular we should try to see while we're there to make it a memorable experience?

We'll also have a car while we're in southeast SC, if there's anything we should go exploring to see. This is our first visit there, we'd like some local knowledge, or at least pick the brains of previous travelers! I'm also perusing TripAdvisor for ideas... Thanks for your suggestions!

Surprisingly enough, I would recommend one of the touristy guided tours of the old part of town. We did a horse-and-buggy tour and it was pretty interesting to hear some of the history of the town.

There is a little hole-in-the-wall place we stumbled on for breakfast one morning. I'll search for the name when I get home. We were literally driving in circles looking for somewhere to eat on a Sunday and saw on 'Open' sign and I just pulled in. Crazy good waffles and all sorts of good southern cookin'.

When we were there, we mostly did the beach-bum thing, so I can't offer much help for the sites to see.

Thanks, Chris, the walking tours were the main thing I was reading reviews for on TripAdvisor, and I've already reached out to a couple of the top rated folks for more info.

The place we're staying in SAV has some of the highest rated breakfasts in town (check out the pictures), so I think we're set there! In fact, we'll NEED to walk after them! ;-)

Anybody on POA live in Savannah? We could meet for lunch or something on Friday....

Read "In the Garden of Good, and Evil" before you go.

I was down there a couple months ago. Check out the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum. Its near the airport. You'll be super-impressed. Even my girlfriend thought it was cool.

Mighty 8th AF museum.
Johnny Harris BBQ
Mrs. Wilks Boarding House (is it still open?)

its been awhile since I've been there.

My stomping grounds!

Inn at Palmetto Bluff - very swish. Good on ya! My house isn't too far from there. Sadly I won't be there the last weekend of December, or I'd meet you guys for lunch or dinner for certain.

How many nights in Savannah, and why only a few hours for sightseeing? How many nights in SC? Charleston is two hours, each way, so you could do a day trip if you really wanted to and weren't taking away time from other things that are closer.

I'm heading to the gym, will write more later...

Last edited:
The Palmetto Bluff Inn is absolutely beautiful and the small chapel overlooking the water is stunning. If you are doing a vow renewal, it is a beautiful spot.......

Come see us in Charleston! The Medal of Honor museum is located on the USS Yorktown and the Fort Sumter Tour, along with the downtown, is worth the relatively short drive. We have more unbelievable restaurants than you can visit in six months.......

You'll have a wonderful trip!

when my parents came to visit (both born in small towns in Arkansas) me in Savannah, we'd always drive across the big suspension bridge (Talmadge?) to SC.

Mom was always terrified going over it, and I'd always remind her that it was built by the lowest bidder.

My stomping grounds!

Inn at Palmetto Bluff - very swish. Good on ya! My house isn't too far from there. Sadly I won't be there the last weekend of December, or I'd meet you guys for lunch or dinner for certain.

How many nights in Savannah, and why only a few hours for sightseeing? How many nights in SC? Charleston is two hours, each way, so you could do a day trip if you really wanted to and weren't taking away time from other things that are closer.

I'm heading to the gym, will write more later...

Ah, it would be great to meet you, sorry to hear you won't be there.

We fly in Tuesday night and fly out Friday night; we are at Palmetto Wednesday and Thursday night. We'll spend one night in Savannah at the Hamilton-Turner Inn, which has some interesting history, including being the first house in Savannah to have electric lighting.

We're going on a private walking tour of Savannah on Thursday, mid-morning (wanted Wednesday, before heading out to Palmetto, but they were booked up already). Thursday afternoon we'll explore the grounds of Palmetto. That leaves all day Wednesday (after the Inn's breakfast, but before Palmetto check-in) and Friday (after we check out, but before our 5pm flight back to Dallas) to do some more exploring...

Hi

OK, brief thoughts, with more later.

Don't bother with Charleston. It's too far and there is too much to see nearby. It's beautiful, but you have plenty to do with the days you have.

I am glad you are doing a walking tour. It will give you some history (and Savannah's is fascinating) and hopefully it will touch upon architecture too. I have been on horse drawn tours, trolley tours, and walking tours, and enjoyed them all but I learned the most with the walking tour.

I was just there over Thanksgiving week, and I did a walking tour with Dirk of Savannah Rambles and it was excellent. His is mostly architecture, but includes the history behind why Savannah looks the way it does.

http://www.savannahrambles.com/

I'll come back later with some information on SCAD. Savannah College of Art and Design played a part in why Savannah looks the way it does today - by this I mean they did some fierce historic preservation of various buildings throughout the city. Read up on SCAD before you go.

I didn't make it here (SCAD restored an old train station) but plan to soon:

http://www.scadmoa.org/

If you are looking for good food in Bluffton, check out Pour Richards on Bluffton Parkway. It's not too far, in fact half of the whole trip is just getting OFF the Inn's property.

http://www.pourrichardsbluffton.com/

When you drive from Savannah to the Inn, take the back roads. Oglethorpe Avenue is the street you want to take to go over the huge Talmadge Bridge that will take you into South Carolina. You can't miss this bridge, it's the big span you will see as you walk the riverfront in Savannah.

Once you are over the bridge, stay on that road (17) until you make a right onto 315/46/170 (all the same road, the numbers change). I can't remember how many miles to the Inn's entrance, maybe 10? It's on the right and there is big sign. Can't miss it.

Last edited:
The waterfront along the Savannah river is a bit of a tourist trap.. low hanging fruit.. some historical stuff.. lots of shops

Folly Field would be the closest public beach to the airport. Bonus, it faces more or less east so you can see some nice sunrises.

Here is a map from the airport to Folly Field. To get to either one, do NOT take the Cross Island Expressway after you are on island, stay on 278. Eventually you will see signs for the airport - it's pretty small FYI. Folly Field is further up 278, and it's a left hand turn - on the corner is a Carabbas so keep a lookout for that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ljp1323311848499030&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

FYI my ride in the B-17 bomber was at Hilton Head's little airport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/5599942987/

You'll note that HII is shaped like a sneaker. Harbor Town in Sea Pines is along the instep, heading to the toe. That's a pleasant place to walk around. You can take boat rides from there too. I saw a whole mess of dolphins playing in the water a few weeks ago.

One place I visit on each trip is the Skull Creek Boathouse. It's off Squire Pope Road, which is the first left turn after you are finally across the bridge and on Hilton Head Island. Here is a photo of its pier, taken from the bridge near sunrise:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/2914886493/in/set-72157604068550802

Turn left on Squire Pope Road and shortly after the roundabout (which is a ways down the road) you will see a sign on the left for the Boathouse. The food is decent, not fantastic but decent, but, it's such a pleasant place to sit and watch the boats and the water and the sunset, drink in hand. They have a lineup of Adirondack chairs facing the water/boats etc. If the weather is nice: 100 yards up the road, if that, is an outfitter for kayaking.

Anyway, about the adirondack chairs/drinks: my photo below (embedded) is me a few weeks ago. That's a Fat Tire, they have it on tap there.

Another thing to consider: Route 46, which is the road you'll be on when you turn into the Inn (well, again, it's three different numbers for the same road, at some point it becomes 46), is one of the "famous" canopy roads in South Carolina.

See this link, and in fact this would be a pretty drive. Explore to find these roads. Although I am not sure if December would be quite the same. They should stay green, IIRC. They are live oaks.

http://npaper-wehaa.com/bluffton-today/2009/11/19/#?article=656435

Note this statement from the link:

May River Road, also known as S.C. 46, has been designated a National Scenic Highway and passes through downtown Bluffton.

That is where you will be. Keep on it, and old town Bluffton is cute (very small). Lots of little art galleries. Plus there is an adorable little church right on the May River. Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/2914883947/in/set-72157604068550802/

There are a few little restaurants across the street from old town Bluffton. Corks is a nice wine bar. When you hit Calhoun Street, roughly, instead of turning into the older looking part of Bluffton, instead turn the other way into an area that looks newly built. Corks is back there as well as another restaurant with a huge outdoor covered patio.

If you feel like it, Sea Turtle Cinemas, which is off Buckwalter Parkway, has movies. In that same plaza is Paulie's pizza (woodfired) and don't scoff, it's in my top 5 of favorite pizzas anywhere. And I've had pizzas! They also have outstanding chicken wings (baked not fried - and huge).

ps. And Beaufort is definitely worth the drive. It's not far at all, from the Inn I would expect maybe 45 minutes? Again it's going to take you ten minutes just to get off the Inn property. I have a little book which I bought in Beaufort which details the various movies made in the Low Country around Beaufort (probably Savannah too, although I can't remember for sure).

Another thing I just remembered: there is a movie-tour of films made in Savannah. That looks like fun.

Here's another tip: Savannah has a fairly active facebook page for visitor information, as well as the Savannah Film Office, etc. Do some facebook searching (or just click info on my page, open up my "likes" and then do a simple search on Savannah and Hilton Head. I've liked many pages.)

Here is one to check out:

https://www.facebook.com/SavannahHollyDays

or

http://www.savannahhollydays.com/

Last edited:
yes, if if i recall there are signs for the public beaches on Hiton Head as you drive down the main road. the only name i can remember off hand is Foley field Rd.

Wow, I owe you a Fat Tire for all this great advice! THANK YOU!

That Skull Creek Sunrise photo is amazing.

Wood fired pizza?! We'll make it there, for certain!

Folly Field would be the closest public beach to the airport. Bonus, it faces more or less east so you can see some nice sunrises.

Here is a map from the airport to Folly Field. To get to either one, do NOT take the Cross Island Expressway after you are on island, stay on 278. Eventually you will see signs for the airport - it's pretty small FYI. Folly Field is further up 278, and it's a left hand turn - on the corner is a Carabbas so keep a lookout for that.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ljp1323311848499030&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

FYI my ride in the B-17 bomber was at Hilton Head's little airport.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/5599942987/

You'll note that HII is shaped like a sneaker. Harbor Town in Sea Pines is along the instep, heading to the toe. That's a pleasant place to walk around. You can take boat rides from there too. I saw a whole mess of dolphins playing in the water a few weeks ago.

One place I visit on each trip is the Skull Creek Boathouse. It's off Squire Pope Road, which is the first left turn after you are finally across the bridge and on Hilton Head Island. Here is a photo of its pier, taken from the bridge near sunrise:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/2914886493/in/set-72157604068550802

Turn left on Squire Pope Road and shortly after the roundabout (which is a ways down the road) you will see a sign on the left for the Boathouse. The food is decent, not fantastic but decent, but, it's such a pleasant place to sit and watch the boats and the water and the sunset, drink in hand. They have a lineup of Adirondack chairs facing the water/boats etc. If the weather is nice: 100 yards up the road, if that, is an outfitter for kayaking.

Anyway, about the adirondack chairs/drinks: my photo below (embedded) is me a few weeks ago. That's a Fat Tire, they have it on tap there.

Another thing to consider: Route 46, which is the road you'll be on when you turn into the Inn (well, again, it's three different numbers for the same road, at some point it becomes 46), is one of the "famous" canopy roads in South Carolina.

See this link, and in fact this would be a pretty drive. Explore to find these roads. Although I am not sure if December would be quite the same. They should stay green, IIRC. They are live oaks.

http://npaper-wehaa.com/bluffton-today/2009/11/19/#?article=656435

Note this statement from the link:

That is where you will be. Keep on it, and old town Bluffton is cute (very small). Lots of little art galleries. Plus there is an adorable little church right on the May River. Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skywalkerbeth/2914883947/in/set-72157604068550802/

There are a few little restaurants across the street from old town Bluffton. Corks is a nice wine bar. When you hit Calhoun Street, roughly, instead of turning into the older looking part of Bluffton, instead turn the other way into an area that looks newly built. Corks is back there as well as another restaurant with a huge outdoor covered patio.

If you feel like it, Sea Turtle Cinemas, which is off Buckwalter Parkway, has movies. In that same plaza is Paulie's pizza (woodfired) and don't scoff, it's in my top 5 of favorite pizzas anywhere. And I've had pizzas! They also have outstanding chicken wings (baked not fried - and huge).

ps. And Beaufort is definitely worth the drive. It's not far at all, from the Inn I would expect maybe 45 minutes? Again it's going to take you ten minutes just to get off the Inn property. I have a little book which I bought in Beaufort which details the various movies made in the Low Country around Beaufort (probably Savannah too, although I can't remember for sure).

Another thing I just remembered: there is a movie-tour of films made in Savannah. That looks like fun.

Here's another tip: Savannah has a fairly active facebook page for visitor information, as well as the Savannah Film Office, etc. Do some facebook searching (or just click info on my page, open up my "likes" and then do a simple search on Savannah and Hilton Head. I've liked many pages.)

Here is one to check out:

https://www.facebook.com/SavannahHollyDays

or

http://www.savannahhollydays.com/

You're very welcome! I gave you a fire hose of info and you probably won't be able to get to all of it. Don't short savannah or the inn. They're special and you can be plenty entertained there. The others are just in case you exit and are looking for options.

PS.

Food in Savannah.

I'll get it out of the way: Paula Deens. Yes, her fried chicken/mac and cheese/mashed potatoes are tasty comfort food. (Here's why: I made a huge pot of her mashed potatoes as a side when I had friends over. Two sticks of butter. An entire container of sour cream, and a lot of heavy cream. Not half n half, heavy cream. There, now you have her recipe). Anyway. DO NOT stand in line if you simply must eat there. If you must, march straight up to the podium and ask for bar seating. I've never been turned away and you'll bypass the whole line.

I'd go here instead:

Crystal Beer Parlor. 10 minute walk from your hotel. Jones Street.

http://www.crystalbeerparlor.com/

or

Soho South Cafe. This is very arty - an art gallery which serves food. The art is all around you. It's a 5 minute walk from your hotel. Liberty Street.

or

Olde Pink House. I haven't been here yet, but it's very highly regarded. I had rez on Thanksgiving Day I had to cancel because I didn't think I had enough time to get to the airport. Also ten minutes from your hotel. This would be good for an anniversary dinner.

On Hilton Head, if you want fine dining, check out Charlie's l'Etoile Verte. No view but good food.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to have to extend my stay, or come back a second time, preferably when you're in town so we can finally meet! I think my next visit needs to be via GA, though... would love to fly the coast for a ways...

Thanks for all the great tips! Paula Deen's food is rich, that's true... there's one particular baked layered potato dish of hers that we like to make for special occasions; combines sliced rounds of red potatoes layered with grilled onions, sliced red bell peppers, mashed potatoes, cheese and butter/sour cream that is sinfully delicious and goes great with ham.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/potato-casserole-recipe/index.html

^^^ that many five star reviews can't be wrong. Oh, and I forgot to mention crumbled bacon. I can feel my arteries congealing as I write this. Better go for a walk and post on the Exercise thread.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend the Crab Shack on Tybee Island yet? If not, I have a HUGE recommendation for that place. Its awesome.

I go to Savannah about once a month or so, and I always make it a point to hit up Tybee. Its pretty neat.

This trip is kind of tight on time, and we paid good money to be at a nice resort, so I'll probably save Tybee for the NEXT trip, which I'm sure will happen once my wife sees the area!!

If you do drive around Hilton Head there is also public beach access at Coligney Circle and a lot of shopping and restaurants on the north and east sides of the circle.

Truffles is one of my favorite restaurants on the island (casual but upscale). There are two locations, one between Coligney Circle and Sea Pines Circle on Pope Ave . The other is in Sea Pines in the shopping center on Lighthouse road. A day pass into Sea Pines is $10 (I believe), Harbour Town and South Beach Marina are both worth checking out. The Salty Dog Cafe in South Beach is also great food. $2 to climb the 114 steps to the top of the Harbour Town Lighthouse. Great views of Dafuskie Island and the Calibogue Sound plus the 18th hole of the Harbour Town Golf Course (there is also a web cam so you can brag to your friends here on POA). Great shopping in Harbour Town as well.

Matt

I have heard good things about Crab Shack but haven't been there yet. I've only been to Tybee once. Is the Crab Shack right on the water?

I have heard good things about Crab Shack but haven't been there yet. I've only been to Tybee once. Is the Crab Shack right on the water?

Yep. Its actually completely on a dock. The first time I went there, we almost got stuck because of the monumentally high tides last year around November (IIRC), and the only road to/from the island was starting to flood over.

This thread is on my list of things to save. We have timeshare on Hilton Head that we'll be using in March and coming into Savannah early for the St Patrick's Day festivities.

This thread is on my list of things to save. We have timeshare on Hilton Head that we'll be using in March and coming into Savannah early for the St Patrick's Day festivities.

You are brave. I haven't done that yet. Not sure you'll see a lot of "Savannah" but you'll for sure see a lot of people.

Yep. Its actually completely on a dock. The first time I went there, we almost got stuck because of the monumentally high tides last year around November (IIRC), and the only road to/from the island was starting to flood over.

Sounds pretty cool.

What else do you like on Tybee?

Sounds like we need to plan a SE USA POA Fly-In. Just like we need to plan a West Coast POA Fly-In. Not an annual event, just a one-off that we can repeat on occasion, as desired.

Sounds like we need to plan a SE USA POA Fly-In. Just like we need to plan a West Coast POA Fly-In. Not an annual event, just a one-off that we can repeat on occasion, as desired.

Savannah would be a great place for a fly in. You could fly into HHI airport or SAV.

St Patrick's Day in Savannah is outrageous. Almost as crazy and every bit as much fun as Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The parade is excellent too.

Matt

Sounds pretty cool.

What else do you like on Tybee?

The beach isn't bad, but I don't usually get a chance to do it. Generally, I just like hanging out on the pier. I plan on checking out that fort someday.

Oh, and I did dinner/drinks at TopSail once. Wasn't bad. But nothing beats the Crab Shack.

Back