Salty's Crash Speculation Thread

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
If you find making light of a fellow POA member's crash to be dark and inappropriate, this thread is not for you. @Salty 's permission (though he said it was not needed) is here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...o-guy-makes-the-impossible-turn.135460/page-5

Facts that we know:

Salty was involved in an off airport landing. He and his wife are ok.
He was most likely flying in the Florida area.
@RyanB was a recent visitor. This probably plays an important point.
Salty flies a Mooney but is also known to try out other flying gadgets.

With what is known, I think it's pretty obvious what happened. He borrowed @eman1200 's Bomooney thinking it would be like a regular Mooney and zigged when he should have zagged. RyanB had told him about the plane the week before and apparently the information given was not accurate in how to fly it. Not to fear, Dan Gryder will have a video out soon.

Eyewitness accounts are sparse. One person reported Salty walking out from the wreckage with a fireball behind him like a Bruce Willis movie. Another said he rode a gator out of the swamp. We have reports of the plane being a high wing, a low wing, or no wing. No flight plan was filed. No parachute was pulled either. Disney World has reported that Tinkerbell has not shown up for work since the incident.

If any of you have any further information, you're encouraged to post it here so we can recreate the crash scene before the NTSB can screw it up.

I suspect the engine quit making power but did not explosively come from together.

I like it.

I'm going to post an account I overheard of the incident from a non-witness. It's almost completely wrong, but I'll let you try to figure out what, if any of it is right :)

They landed, the gear failed, and they veered off the runway and hit a tree

I like it.

I'm going to post an account I overheard of the incident from a non-witness. It's almost completely wrong, but I'll let you try to figure out what, if any of it is right :)
"They landed, the gear failed, and they veered off the runway and hit a tree"

Since you're not still up there, I assume the "they landed" part might have a grain of truth in it.

We can just let the speculation run wild, or I can start confirming facts that I know are true as people guess them and spiral in on the truth..... lol

He made Kathryn's. Said he landed in an orange grove. He just wanted his vitamin c and that stuff at the stores aint fresh.

He was taking @Pilawt 's new plane for a ride, just to try it out...because word on the street is it was a wild ride.

no speculation needed. salty actually has a bad case of myotonia congenita, more commonly known as fainting goat syndrome. when flying his mooney on short final, a cessna 172 that was in the pattern called up on the radio and said "hey man, nice bonanza", causing his muscles to lock up, roll over on his back, and land gear up.

Did he fail to file a VFR Flight Plan?

Not filing is a nearly 100% guarantee that something significant will go terribly wrong and a "talking head" will announce your moral failing to the cosmos...

Which of you "Beautiful Minds" will tie this to one of the infinite "Hey so I smoke a shedload of pot, guzzle booze, and do a line every thursday, what's up with my medical lol?" anonymous threads?

No one has accused him of staging the accident yet. ;)

no speculation needed. salty actually has a bad case of myotonia congenita, more commonly known as fainting goat syndrome. when flying his mooney on short final, a cessna 172 that was in the pattern called up on the radio and said "hey man, nice bonanza", causing his muscles to lock up, roll over on his back, and land gear up.

Leave it to Eman to accuse Salty of being a goat effer.

***** Goat fainter.

I heard it was the knucklehead that put his new engine together…

That was kinda where my mind went initially. But like he said, low blow. In fairness, no lower than the commonly bandied about POA aspersion that Henning committed insurance fraud, if we're keeping tally. "With friends like these..." type of thing. :D

Jokes aside, glad to hear the occupants walked away. The go-kart can be replaced. If indeed this engine didn't have much more than a couple hundred hours since it was wholly tinkered with, and it becomes known the source of the power failure is an internal moving part and not carb icing or a fuel line coming from together, then it does lend credence to the notion of bathtub failure models of these 1930s tractor engines. Time will tell. Cheers.

I’ll get the official number but my guess is 400 hours since overhaul.

Obviously staged for the insurance money so he could buy an engine for the RV-10.

Engine quit - no curling on the prop. Greg, please tell us you didn't run out of gas.

Glad everyone is ok. Nice job, regardless.

Engine quit - no curling on the prop. Greg, please tell us you didn't run out of gas.
The pilot's side looks a little curled. The passenger side is too hard for me to tell from that angle.

I’ll get the official number but my guess is 400 hours since overhaul.
Ok, this is freaky how close my guess was. 400.15 hours since overhaul.

FAA prelim says "landed in an orange orchard." Expect this investigation to involve even more navel gazing than usual. The story may eventually be adapted into pulp fiction.

Thats some juicy info. I hope he still has his zest for flying.

I think the whole crash is a fake, not enough damage to the Mooney or orange trees

Back