210 Grenades on T/O guy makes the impossible turn.

It really was kind of a non event, but I wanted to have time to process before I posted any details. I'll start a new thread on it eventually.

It really was kind of a non event, but I wanted to have time to process before I posted any details. I'll start a new thread on it eventually.
Can we start one on your behalf speculating spectacularly at what happened??

Don't mean to make light. Seriously glad you're all good.

Can we start one on your behalf speculating spectacularly at what happened??

Don't mean to make light. Seriously glad you're all good.
LOL Like you need permission! Actually that sounds kinda fun.

did you file a flight plan?

(had to get that out of the way...)

Happens with all them Cessnas. Crashing all the time 'n ****.

There - got that one out of the way.

I'm so glad you're here to type about it.
He flies a Mooney... Must be that low wing thing. Much more predisposed to engine failures :).

Glad you're okay @Salty

It's a big deal Salty, the way you handled it makes it a non-event.

Ditto, glad you both are okay.

For perspective, this reminds me of a crazy story from my military youth. My unit was in Thailand on an exercise back in the early 90's. One of my young recon troops got attacked by a water buffalo. It sunk a horn in his thigh and ran around for a while with him hanging by his leg before tossing him off and running into the jungle. We got him to the hospital and he made a full recovery. When I visited him after surgery, I said "you know what that scar means? Free beer and a guaranteed pickup line in every bar you visit for the rest of your life."

Point being, for the rest of your pilot career, you are the dude who walked away from an engine out. That old saying about dying with the most toys is BS. The real one is "he who dies with the best stories wins." You got one.

Now if this turns out to be fuel exhaustion, oh dear God we are going to ride you mercilessly. ;)

I have been trained to pitch for best glide, if you are in a cruise climb that is likely a little slower that Vy
Slower than Vy with the engine running, but take the engine out of the equation and you better be getting nose down if you are in any climb and the fan stops turning.

Frye has posted a new video with the results of the tear down and what they suspect happened. BTW...watch it til the very end.......:p He's got a heck of sense of humor...

Lol!

shoutout to the engine shop for standing behind the work. Does anyone know who did the work, that is the shop I want to work with. Pretty much zero time FWF package. To the shop owner, nicely done.

if you don’t watch anything else, skip to the 11:35 mark for the joke at the end. Bryan, you might have some competition

Last edited:
I guess I missed the joke. I mean what else is there to do once it comes out of the shop. I have made many first flights after maintenance.

I guess I missed the joke. I mean what else is there to do once it comes out of the shop. I have made many first flights after maintenance.
you must not have watched the end or paid attention. It wasn't anything he said.

Ahhh... first time I watched the end on my small screen laptop. Went to the bigger screen and saw what I guess was the joke.

Back