Safety Pilot Etiquette

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Is there some sort of a un-written, goes without saying, standard code of ethnics for those that wish to be a safety pilots. Like you're not an instructor, and don't touch my radios, for gawd sake keep an eye out for traffic:eek:

Asking to a friend......

Is there some sort of a un-written, goes without saying, standard code of ethnics for those that wish to be a safety pilots. Like you're not an instructor, and don't touch my radios, for gawd sake keep an eye out for traffic:eek:

Asking to a friend......

No standard, but it is good to iron out the details before hand so each has the same expectations. And although a safety pilot is not an instructor, a good experienced instrument pilot can provide some good pointers. They can also teach bad habits as well. At a minimum though, the safety pilot is there to make sure you don't run into anything.

Well, I started training in Sept 2020, passed my checkride in April 2021 so I do not have a ton of experience with the role. BUT, a pilot friend of mine shared this over beers one cold Saturday about five years ago, and provided the photo below. I asked permission to use the story in my customer presentations as part of the need to communicate in all phases. Perhaps you can share these lessons learnt.
The crew: Two RAF military, turned civilian pilots, with a combined total in excess of 12,000 hours are flying, one as PIC and the other as Safety Pilot on check ride for instrument. PIC is under foggles for all phases and the Safety is looking for other AC.
* The indicator horn and warning light had been disabled in the AC because they were always going off and owner did not feel it was useful.
** No pre-flight briefing.
*** No sterile cockpit defined.
Several approaches and landings with no issues. On this particular approach, the conversation had turned to something along the lines of the guy who makes doors (or door latches) for Cessna had a booming business as he was the only one and someone was always ordering new ones. Suddenly there is a thud and scraping followed by lots of really choice words over the intercom. My buddy the Safety Pilot tells me that the damage was extensive as the photo shows, but as they both agreed there was no preflight briefing and no specific expectation defined he was cleared of any obligation to remunerate the owner and all was on the PIC.

However, the experience was still a valuable lesson in defining roles and responsibilities upfront. Continuous communication is beneficial to the mission at hand and proper preparation at all times. For my customer presentations, I added "Even if all the preparation has been checked and something does not feel right say something before it's too late because we are all in this together. A go-around is a lot cheaper than wheels-up, prop strike, belly skid landing."

Safe flying!182SafetyPilotLesson.jpg

My friend Chris and I used to fly together after work at least once a month, then go to dinner. We'd split being flying pilot and safety pilot. Simple routine for us. Flying pilot did everything. Safety pilot watched for traffic, airspace errors (we were below the Class B shelf), obstructions, and surprises the flying pilot could not see.

Never any question about who was doing what. My favorite example was the first time I practiced in a Comanche. I ended up turning off the fuel when switching tanks. Chris just sat quietly chuckling to himself while I figured out why the engine died.

But the real etiquette was, who bought the beers at dinner.

I know a guy that uses his 15yr old son to watch for traffic and “make sure I don’t hit anything” while he’s under the hood. Seems to work so far.

Tomorrow I get checked out in a Redbird simulator to help w/ maintaining IFR currency. Part of my motivation was a recent SP who videoed my takeoffs and landings. I didn't care when he initially did it as he's a relatively new pilot and possibly was doing it for training purposes. The more I thought about it later, the more it bothered me. I'm sure his motives were pure, but, if something went south there would possibly be evidence to come after me. Some on this board have said, possibly joking, they only take up people named in their wills. My policy has been to only take up pilots as they understand risks can be managed but not eliminated entirely. But now I'm rethinking even that.

Asking to a friend......
The radios are an interesting facet. I have an IFR-experienced safety pilot. Sometimes, he’ll role play ATC and give me instructions, mock clearances, etc. He’s encouraged to throw out realistic last-minute changes, to the point that he’s allowed to pull breakers on instruments. Part of his job is to handle the radios and talk to real-life ATC so I can focus on the scenario he’s trying to stress me with.

I just got my medical back. Today I’m going up VFR with a safety pilot whose job is to make sure I remember how to think. I expect him to sit back and watch, to say something if he sees something, and to save our lives if I become incapacitated!

I’ve been SP, but haven’t used one yet. A preflight briefing can settle about anything. Who’s PIC for the flight? Will SP log PIC while the pilot is under the hood (there have been times I’ve been SP in a rental that I haven’t been checked out in and always wonder about my liability in a situation like that). As a courtesy I will note the time the hood is on so the pilot can get my record of hood time. Other than that, see and avoid.

I do a preflight briefing with any pilot I fly with, especially instructors. For instructors I make it clear that I won't give up the controls until they ask me. I also tell them I don't mind them shadowing me on the controls at any time. I figured this out after I was training for my instrument rating and screwed up a touch and go on an approach. Things weren't going well, but I was in the process of fixing it. I saw him reaching for the controls and told him " I got it" and he backed off. I did have it, and fixed it. The problem was a real life introduction of being nose high, behind the power curve with an engine pumping out 310 hp. It involved an uncommanded left turn and bank after the airplane popped off the ground because, uncharacteristically for me I jammed the throttle to full while the nose wheel was still off the ground. I felt bad that I had backed him off the controls, so I made it clear that he could grab the controls any time, that when I said "I got it" I meant that I was fixing it and wanted to correct it. I didn't say it to back him off the controls, he can shadow me at any time, all I ask is a firm "My controls" from him. So now I make sure to say this to new instructors I fly with.

Safety pilots should not be grabbing controls or adjusting things unless specifically asked. Pointing out issues is always appreciated though.

I've used a safety pilot a few times. It began with somewhat mixed results, and communication from me about my expectations helped me get better results.

Here's, essentially, what I tell people:

• I'm pilot in command for this flight.
  • Before we leave, I'm fully capable of flying this plane and bringing us back safely, with or without your help unless something dramatic goes incorrectly.
  • I'm depending on you to be my outward eyes for traffic and terrain.
  • We can chat during the boring phases of flight, and I'll tell you when "sterile cockpit" is in effect.
  • If you have a concern, tell me and I'll dump the foggles and fly the plane.

I don't have any youtoob superstar friends, so I'm not worried about anyone video recording our flights, but I would stop it if I sensed it happening.

I do a preflight briefing with any pilot I fly with, especially instructors...
This is an excellent point. My experience was rather benign, but I flew w/ a SP/CFI for the first time recently. His teaching style included nudging the controls. This was not something I was used to nor expecting on short final.

I don't have any youtoob superstar friends, so I'm not worried about anyone video recording our flights, but I would stop it if I sensed it happening.
Yeah, It sure does seem like that would distract the SP from fulfilling their primary duty of watching for traffic and obstacles.

I do a preflight briefing with any pilot I fly with, especially instructors. For instructors I make it clear that I won't give up the controls until they ask me. I also tell them I don't mind them shadowing me on the controls at any time. I figured this out after I was training for my instrument rating and screwed up a touch and go on an approach. Things weren't going well, but I was in the process of fixing it. I saw him reaching for the controls and told him " I got it" and he backed off. I did have it, and fixed it. The problem was a real life introduction of being nose high, behind the power curve with an engine pumping out 310 hp. It involved an uncommanded left turn and bank after the airplane popped off the ground because, uncharacteristically for me I jammed the throttle to full while the nose wheel was still off the ground. I felt bad that I had backed him off the controls, so I made it clear that he could grab the controls any time, that when I said "I got it" I meant that I was fixing it and wanted to correct it. I didn't say it to back him off the controls, he can shadow me at any time, all I ask is a firm "My controls" from him. So now I make sure to say this to new instructors I fly with.

Safety pilots should not be grabbing controls or adjusting things unless specifically asked. Pointing out issues is always appreciated though.

i do the same thing.

As an example I have told instructors I don’t do touch n goes for training. I’m not incapable I just feel they aren’t the same learning tool as landing, critiquing it on taxi back and then focus on take off again. A touch n go doesn’t give ya that learning moment of the taxi back. Then them and I are on same page.

After I went unexpectedly NORDO once on a practice approach because my safety pilot decided to ‘help me’ with the audio panel without asking.

So I ask my safety pilots to not change any switch setting without asking first. Because I fly out of a very busy Class C airport I ask for a sterile cockpit until we are clear of the airport.

With any pilot in the right seat I tell them that only one will fly this airplane at a time. If we are in immediate danger they should call ‘my airplane’ and I will release the controls. Especially with CFIs I tell them that that they will not touch the controls unless they call for it. There will be no shadowing.

I agree with Jim. Any time you have multiple pilots, it behooves you to work out the responsibilities prior to flying.

As for safety pilots, regulatory they are there for only one reason: to be the necessary visual lookup. If the PIC wishes to have them assume other responsibilities, that should be worked out in advance.

Asking to a friend......
I usually just sit there and quietly judge. I only intervene if I feel like I might die or we might bust a reg..

It depends on who is in the left seat. I usually ask before how much help they want. Sometimes they're happy for all the help they can get other times they want to pretend they're alone for a better more real world experience

I always said is I am open to verbal feedback but only thing I expect is your are just my eyes and tell me if I need to pull my hood for anything else.

Chatter is handled like any other passenger.

Back