Runup area/Hold short Etiquette

Some towers cant see the hold short line, so when you say in sequence it implies someone is in front of you, usually blocking the entrance to the runway. If there is no one blocking, I say ready for departure or IFR release. At least that’s how I use it.

Edit. See that this was already addressed. Shouldn’t do this on a 5 inch phone ;-)

I was in the runup area at KBDL and called ground to taxi to the hold short line. His response was "are you ready to go? I have four jets inbound and if you can go now from present position, you won't have to wait..." "Ready and moving, cleared for takoff runway 6". -Skip

With around 2500 hours of piston time I do not remember ever being cleared to the runup area unless it was a maintenance run. It has always been cleared to runway XX via XX.

With around 2500 hours of piston time I do not remember ever being cleared to the runup area unless it was a maintenance run. It has always been cleared to runway XX via XX.

Actually you haven’t been cleared to runway either, from 7110.65 :

Do not use the word “cleared” in conjunction with authorization for aircraft to taxi or equipment/vehicle/personnel operations. Use the prefix “taxi,” “proceed,” or “hold,” as appropriate, for aircraft instructions and “proceed” or “hold” for equipment/vehicles/personnel.

They’ve tried to narrow the use of the word clear. I got yelled at by the tower as a student for using the phrase “cleared to cross runway...” back in 2013, the tower yelled at me for a minute or so until he was interrupted by a jet pilot.

I got yelled at by the tower as a student for using the phrase “cleared to cross runway...” back in 2013, the tower yelled at me for a minute or so until he was interrupted by a jet pilot.

Curious as to where this might be. In my 28 years of controlling aircraft I've never or never heard of a controller "yelling" at a pilot for saying the word "cleared" in any capacity. I've "counseled" other controllers many, many times on using that term other than clearing someone for take off but I've never yelled.

Curious as to where this might be. In my 28 years of controlling aircraft I've never or never heard of a controller "yelling" at a pilot for saying the word "cleared" in any capacity. I've "counseled" other controllers many, many times on using that term other than clearing someone for take off but I've never yelled.

Orlando Exec, it was a long read back, F-K-A cross 31, A-A2....I say clear to cross 31....
I asked my CFI and he said there was nothing wrong with it.
His “dressing down” went something like this:
I didn’t clear you, did you hear me say the word clear, is your instructor on board... (I had dropped him off to pickup his plane), after saying no....well you’re not going anywhere, I need to talk to him...at which point I asked him if I just reread the corrected clearance back again...then he just was yelling louder...I was just about to shut the engine off and go find my instructor when a jet pilot said “this is ..., put some one on that can give me a clearance “. I don’t know who it was, but he must have recognized them or realized he had crossed a line. Rest went without a hitch, the tower controller apologized before turning me over to approach.

Back