Run-up areas

MacFlier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MacFlier
When I fly from my home airport I know exactly where all the run-up areas are. However on my last solo cross-country I caught myself wondering where the run-up area was at my destination (untowered field).
I could not find anything specific in the afd.
Is that a good way or best breakfast to find where the run-up areas are?

Many untoward fields have a turn off for run ups near the ends of the runway. Check the satellite image. You can also ask the FBO if there is a designated run up area.

I'm assuming, so sue me, you're a student and you can't go anywhere without an endorsement from your CFI. Please discuss this with them before.

Once you've got a PPL it's a little different. Smaller airports may or may not have a turnout. Then there is the prevailing wind and where you want to run YOUR plane up.

Not a bad question, just one that your CFI can help with then SGOTI.

i prefer to do the runup, when possible, on the apron/ramp away from hangers and the fbo.

Find anywhere that’s clear and will be unaffected from your prop wash.

ie., on a taxiway some place or at the end of the runway which usually has a piece of pavement to do just this.

Find anywhere that’s clear and will be unaffected from your prop wash.

ie., on a taxiway some place or at the end of the runway which usually has a piece of pavement to do just this.

That

When I fly from my home airport I know exactly where all the run-up areas are. However on my last solo cross-country I caught myself wondering where the run-up area was at my destination (untowered field).
I could not find anything specific in the afd.
Is that a good way or best breakfast to find where the run-up areas are?

Just be conscious of what’s behind you and what’s under your prop and carry on.

Wherever you run up, don't do it next the fuel pump or blasting dust into the maintenance hangars or personal hangars. Typically, there is a space at the end of the runway for this purpose, or if there is a parallel taxiway, just prior to the entrance to the start of the runway is good. A bad spot is at the only midfield runway entrance where you are blocking entrance or exit from the runway, especially if you are very deliberate at doing this.

Do the run up right in front of me, everyone else does. Then when you get your instrument rating, shut down right in front of me, blocking the taxiway, and call for for clearance...again, everyone else does! Lol

I'm assuming, so sue me, you're a student and you can't go anywhere without an endorsement from your CFI. Please discuss this with them before.

Once you've got a PPL it's a little different. Smaller airports may or may not have a turnout. Then there is the prevailing wind and where you want to run YOUR plane up.

Not a bad question, just one that your CFI can help with then SGOTI.
Correct, student pilot here. I definitely put a note to make sure I ask this question before the next cross-country.

Yes, but when I look at some airport diagrams, I don't see a clear, separate area for this. And I'd hate to block a taxiway for a run-up. Airports like KJDD, KTYR for example have plenty of space, but no separate area for a run-up (At least to the inexperienced me).

This is where satellite imagery helps. KDKX run up area.

998392B3-F7D8-4BD5-B9E5-FC0E645CEA3C.png

I'd say 9/10 times I'm the only one about to depart from a field so in those cases the hold short line is a perfectly good place. You don't really need to pull off unless you've got others potentially waiting to go behind you.

The airport I trained at umpteen years ago had no run-up areas. Taxi to runway, turn away from the guy potentially behind you, blast away. Turn back when done. You don't 'pull off,' you keep your spot in line (if there is one), just watch your prop wash.

Yep, barring a designated area to do it, just make sure you're not going to harm anything with your prop blast and do it. I do mine at the end of the midfield taxiway (we don't have a full-length taxiway. Then I just back taxi, do a quick look around and go.

Unless otherwise noted, I do my run up at the hold short of the departure runway. It is expected by most people to expect a slight delay for a piston airplane. Just don't take 20 minutes and hold up the line.

Odds are if you are at an airport without a designated area or a pad near the runway, there probably won't be much other traffic to be concerned with.

I'd say 9/10 times I'm the only one about to depart from a field so in those cases the hold short line is a perfectly good place. You don't really need to pull off unless you've got others potentially waiting to go behind you.
This is what I did last time. Nobody at the field, so I did the run-up at the hold short position. But, while doing it, I thought "what if someone starts to taxi?"

Do the run up right in front of me, everyone else does. Then when you get your instrument rating, shut down right in front of me, blocking the taxiway, and call for for clearance...again, everyone else does! Lol
Why would someone shutdown to get a clearance?

Odds are if you are at an airport without a designated area or a pad near the runway, there probably won't be much other traffic to be concerned with.

Odds, maybe, but not where I trained. Could get pretty busy. Thus the turn away from the taxiway.

Nobody here does a rolling runup?
:devil:

Mag check right before rotation?

This is what I did last time. Nobody at the field, so I did the run-up at the hold short position. But, while doing it, I thought "what if someone starts to taxi?"

*shrug* If they're dumb enough to taxi right up behind a plane doing a run-up they deserve the dings they get? You're PIC of your plane, not theirs. I mean, be courteous, but don't overthink it.

Use best judgement, I mean I think most of us pilots try to be courteous to each other and that's great but we've all had to wait a minute while another pilot completes his runup and it's not really that big of a deal. If you're on the ramp and you've started up and completed your pre-taxi checklist and you see another aircraft with it's prop spinning closer to the taxiway you can always key your mic and ask them if they're ready to go. In some cases I've even done a runup on a ramp if I had room to pull away from any other aircraft/buildings. Just use your best judgement and be considerate, I think that's all anyone can expect.

They will wait

Its the sticks, with spotty cell service too. It’s just common to shut down to call, as its hard enough without the engine(s) running to call and hear. I do it too, but I pull to the side and at least I don’t block the taxiway at the time.

They will wait

Heck, they might even stop and do their own run-up. If waiting the 30 seconds or whatever for you to run up is going to make them late, they should have planned better. If it's going to break them on fuel costs, they're in the wrong game. If it's just going to stress them out, they might consider decaf and/or yoga, and you can be grateful planes don't have horns.

b/w OP, whatever you do, DO NOT HURRY and try to get out someones way. hurrying during run up (or anything in aviation for that matter) doesnt end well.

Use best judgement, I mean I think most of us pilots try to be courteous to each other and that's great but we've all had to wait a minute while another pilot completes his runup and it's not really that big of a deal. If you're on the ramp and you've started up and completed your pre-taxi checklist and you see another aircraft with it's prop spinning closer to the taxiway you can always key your mic and ask them if they're ready to go. In some cases I've even done a runup on a ramp if I had room to pull away from any other aircraft/buildings. Just use your best judgement and be considerate, I think that's all anyone can expect.

Just angle yourself so you could see them approach

Its the sticks, with spotty cell service too. It’s just common to shut down to call, as its hard enough without the engine(s) running to call and hear. I do it too, but I pull to the side and at least I don’t block the taxiway at the time.
I find that odd. I too have lots of time getting a release in the sticks. I never found it necessary or beneficial to shut down an engine. It would have been more of a pain than a benefit. If it works for you that’s fine.

Be considerate to your fellow pilots while in the run up area! Republic pilots I’m looking at you! :D

As a student pilot, the runup definitely takes a little longer, and you don't want to hold up traffic. So I understand the OP's concern for a specific run up area.

I try to find a place out of the way of everyone so that I am not blocking taxiways or delaying people from taking off. I noticed at the airport I have been flying out of that in the past few years people been doing their run-up at the hold short point. It is probably okay to do this as long as you are not holding people up.

Back