RRRRRRRough River 2023! (2I3 4/21/2023 - 4/23/2023)

4/21 - 4/23

• that is a good weekend for me, I'm in!

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • that is not a good weekend for me or I just hate having fun, I'm out!

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Whole lotta fun people show up. Also eman, but mostly come for everyone else. Good peeps fo sho.

And every year something sinister happens that we don't talk about.
I go just so I am in the know.

DOOOO IT!!!!!
The plane is available, just stooooopid expensive for it to only be myself. I’d definitely need to be giving rides for it to work out.

I thought you were taking the Cub.
It’s still in the hopper. Problem with the cub is that it’s quite weather sensitive (wind, darkness, IMC, etc). It’s a tougher mission when specific days are in mind. Also the place sold the clip wing which was a dream to fly in heavy crosswinds.

2I3? Added dates to calendar. Dog friendly?
We’re first time rough river attendees and plan to bring our one year old dog. Staying in a lodge room. Sounds like fees are incurred only if you take them to non dog friendly places.IMG_0890.jpeg

Last edited:
We’re first time rough river attendees and plan to bring our one year old dog. Staying in a lodge room. Sounds like fees are incurred only if you take them to non dog friendly places.View attachment 116433

you're in for this trip? awesome! pls sign up on the xls and I'll add you to the group chat.

I'll be leaving KCVC (east side of Atlanta) Friday 21st in C414 up to 2I3. Have room. (if you'd like to share gas, you'll be happy to know I fly LOP)

I'll be leaving KCVC (east side of Atlanta) Friday 21st in C414 up to 2I3. Have room. (if you'd like to share gas, you'll be happy to know I fly LOP)

Lance, Melodie and I will take you up on this offer. I was going to borrow a plane, but it looks like we might need all the ramp space we can get this year. More importantly, we just like your and Sue’s company. And don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten that I still owe you some gas money from last time. :)

Sounds good Dave. Glad to fly with you and Melodie. I’ll figure our departure time based on check in time for our room.

I looked at the thing that we're not supposed to look at or talk about.

Hopefully the news gets better in my area I'll try not to look at it or talk about it until I absolutely have to.

Thanks, Lance, I’ll let you know, maybe a miracle happens in the next two weeks.

I looked at the thing that we're not supposed to look at or talk about.

Hopefully the news gets better in my area I'll try not to look at it or talk about it until I absolutely have to.
The last time you did that, it added 3 hours to your trip, right? Don’t do that.

The last time you did that, it added 3 hours to your trip, right? Don’t do that.

Yup. 90 Gallons on board for a 560 mi flight and we had to stop to fuel up.

Based on what I allegedly saw, I should be ok in the fancy plane.
Primary concern is passenger comfort based on what was hypothetically predicted, assuming what I may or may not have seen.
I might have actually dreamed it and thought it was real. Dreams are so HD nowadays, it can be hard to tell.

you're in for this trip? awesome! pls sign up on the xls and I'll add you to the group chat.
We’re signed up, under Brad Koehn. But I’d love to be added as well.

T minus one week! I've been busting my butt trying to get as much work done as possible with the beautiful weather we've been having so we can go for the whole weekend guilt free. That means I haven't flown in two weeks, which is unusual for me. I hope I don't forget how to do it! I'll have to get there early so there's no one there to judge my landing.

B6D067A8-08C8-4815-878F-A3259C2D61AA.jpegI have this grill that I can bring, but I’m going to guess that Lance really doesn’t want a propane tank in his airplane. If anyone who is driving in can bring propane, I’ll bring it.

View attachment 116572I have this grill that I can bring, but I’m going to guess that Lance really doesn’t want a propane tank in his airplane. If anyone who is driving in can bring propane, I’ll bring it.

I had asked the RR folks if they have any propane grills but they never answered me. I'll try 'em again.

What’s our IFR alternate? I93 or KOWB?

What’s our IFR alternate? I93 or KOWB?

FYI..

I93 drive to RR is about 20 min. I flew there yesterday. Pretty barebones airport. I think fuel is $5.65 (no significant NOTAMS) Closest, so, easiest to transport back/forth if needed.
M20 drive to RR is about 33 min.
KEKX drive to RR is about 52 min. Has good FBO with A&P services. ILS, VOR-A and LOC, with additional NOTAM: NAV ILS RWY 05 GP NOT MNT
KOWB drive to RR is just over an hour. Has good FBO with A&P services. ILS, VOR, LOC, with additional NOTAM: RWY 06 PAPI U/S

If choosing I93 I don't think they have AWOS/ATIS handy. It lists 109.6 for Godman AAF

I thought you were flying the cub 500agl the whole way?
12-hr prop of precip is 50-60, I’m guessing it won’t be an easy trip in a cub. I could still nab it, its avail. The 170 is booked unfortunately.

FYI..

I93 drive to RR is about 20 min. I flew there yesterday. Pretty barebones airport. I think fuel is $5.65 (no significant NOTAMS) Closest, so, easiest to transport back/forth if needed.
M20 drive to RR is about 33 min.
KEKX drive to RR is about 52 min. Has good FBO with A&P services. ILS, VOR-A and LOC, with additional NOTAM: NAV ILS RWY 05 GP NOT MNT
KOWB drive to RR is just over an hour. Has good FBO with A&P services. ILS, VOR, LOC, with additional NOTAM: RWY 06 PAPI U/S

If choosing I93 I don't think they have AWOS/ATIS handy. It lists 109.6 for Godman AAF
Looks like LPV DAs for I93 are pretty good (308’).

Back