Rotator Cuff Repair w/ Bicep Tendonesis

My evil step-mother-inlaw had it done. At around 60 she was still a competitive tennis player at her country club but was unable to play for almost a year due to pain. She finally had the surgery and was upset she waited so long. She soon started playing in local tournaments again.

I'd make sure I got the supraclavicular nerve block or similar. They would be painful in the immediate post operative period without it.

Depends on the damage. If the muscle is torn completely, do not wait before getting it repaired. I had to wear a sling for 6 weeks, then it took a couple months to get the mobility back. It all depends on how severe the damage...don't wait too long is my best advice. Good luck

In December, 2020, I had biceps tenodesis surgery and a whole bunch of other stuff, but did not need the actual rotator cuff repaired.
Recovery was straightforward. Right shoulder and my cars are all stick shift so I couldn't drive them for about three months. Automatic was no problem.
I was good with physical therapy during the six months and then on my own for about a year, then got sloppy in early 2022. It definitely lost range of motion and usability, but I apparently also have 'some arthritis,' extent unknown.
I've been working the last few months on range of motion and general strengthening, just on my own, with some good results.
Hard to remember how it was before the surgery, but I think it's been a very very big improvement, even with the semi-self-induced backsliding.

Thanks. My surgeon thought my issue was the bicep tendon and imaging showed a minor rotator cuff tear. When he got in there he found a massive tear and also removed a bone spur, plus did the bicep tendonesis. My nerve block wore off yesterday and I have almost no pain, which was unexpected. I’m hoping to be able to pull the flap handle in three months. Very light duty for 6 weeks, as you know. Interesting that you’re losing ROM a year after. I’ll do my exercises. Thanks for sharing that.

How is your bicep strength? Lose some?

Depends. I’ve got a minor supraspinatus tear with bursitis and tendonitis in my left (non dominant) shoulder. My ortho doc looked at the X-ray and MRI and said PT was the best option over cortisone or surgery. I’m also on an anti inflammatory (Celebrex). A major tear would have necessitated the surgery. So far the PT and drugs are working and my range of motion has improved and the pain decreased.

My question is primarily about bicep changes after tendonesis. My doc told me I wouldn’t be symmetrical. I expect the rotator cuff to return to mostly normal.

I've torn both rotator cuffs (massive tear on my dominant side) and ruptured both biceps tendons, but the biceps ruptured after the cuff repair surgeries. I wouldn't have had them repaired anyway. I didn't need pain meds after surgery, but I haven't used them after other surgeries either.

I think your outcome depends mostly on the the quality of the cuff repair, and that depends highly on the quality of the tendon prior to surgery. The shoulder is a very complex joint so there's a huge variation in results with surgery. Rupturing the long head of the biceps doesn't typically result in much impairment, whether it's repaired or not, IMHO.

Tendonesis releases the tendon from the Labrum, shortens the tendon, and re-anchors the tendon on the Humerus. The geometry of the bicep is changed. I’m curious how someone who’s had it done describes the change.

Anyone had this surgery? Was it successful? Comments about recovery?

Had both rotator cuff repair (torn labrum) and a bicep tendinesis of the same shoulder. First in 2007 and then 2019 both were successful and I fully recovered from both. Would say my recover from both were about 6-8 months each. No issues with geometry changes for the tendonesis as the remaining part of the tendon was anchored and not left lose (both are options for the surgery).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back