RIP, Skylane N271G. :(

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Sad day...

RIP71G.jpg

One of our pilots came home yesterday at noon, called the FBO to have them fuel the plane and put it away. They fueled it, but then left it on the ramp overnight... :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad:

KMSN 260930Z AUTO 36031G51KT 330V030 1 1/4SM +TSRA BR SCT004 BKN012 OVC038 22/19 A2980 RMK AO2 PK WND 02051/0930 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAE0856B18 PRESRR P0003

Sigh. I've got nearly 450 hours in that plane, more than any other by about a factor of 3. I fly other airplanes, but I wear 71G. I've given many people rides in her, and I've flown her to about 30 states - East coast, west coast, and gulf coast from Madison.

Attachments

• RIP71G-sm.jpg
    RIP71G-sm.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 1,823
Last edited:
Doesn't look like it would be too terribly hard to repair, but given the age it is probably FAR from worth it.

ug. i too have a bit of time in 71G and am pretty sad. what a bummer. i can't imagine the general frustration level for everyone in the club at the moment. It was a great plane.

OBTW, all you club members. Your insurance rates just went up.

More than didn't put it away. They didn't tie it down. Duh!

Doubt it's totalled. Anyone taking odds?

Keep us posted.

edit: I hope it doesn't become a he/said she/said game of blame.

Keep us posted.

I got 50 Kopeks says totaled by insurance. Can it be rebuilt? Of course, anything can be rebuild, but as far as value, it is a total loss.

Edit: I'll give up my little secret. Look at the strut, where it passes in front of the window, and look at the prop blade on the far right side of the pic.

Keep us posted.

Totaled,
I say 3:1 agains fixing it.

Two wings to repair, new struts, major repair of vertical and rudder, aft fuselage repair, likely damage to horizontal stab, new prop, engine tear down...

Sure you can fix it, but I doubt the insurance company will want to pay for it, depends on the insured hull value

yea at first i thought it was possible. new prop, vertical, and wing repair. then i saw the wrinkle at the strut attachment.

Wow... such a beauty to end in such a sad way! RIP 271 Gulf ...... TAPS.

Maduro

Keep us posted.

It's totaled. Especially if they didn't have a very high hull value on it. I've seen a whole lot nicer planes than this show up on the salvage auction sites.

It may or may not get fixed. It is plenty fixable but unless a person bought the plane for a really good price you'll have more into fixing it than it is worth.

It's totaled, but I bet she flys again with a couple of years.

Insurance will total it and write them a check. After that, they will go after the FBO for damages. Wentworth will buy it and sell it as a "PERFECT FIXER UPPER OPPORTUNITY!!!!"

What a shame to make such a preventable mistake. Dang.

David

Funny to think that there will be a time, not in my life and probably not in my kids life, where there will be a last handful of 172s and an accident like this will be a big deal. We're down to an ever dwindling number of WWII aircraft and the boom-days of the '70s are a ways back ... it's just a matter of time.

The 172 is still a dime-a-dozen, figuratively speaking, so a loss like this is nothing, but the day will come. We just can't imagine it since the 172 has been a mainstay for most all of our lives. If you are 80 now, the 172 was introduced when you were only 23. If you are 15 today and taking lessons, chances are there is a 172 on the flight line doing the lifting. Amazing planes.

I hope you can get a replacement plane soon. Looks like that FBO will be buying you a 182 soon.

This happened over 40 years go and this plane is still flying. BTW - it was tied down.

Cub58H_after_twister.jpg

sorry to hear about your clubs plane.

IF the club member called the FBO to fuel and push into the hangar, and IF the FBO failed to follow these instructions...would the loss be on the clubs insurance or the FBO's?
Sounds like a mess to me.

sorry to hear about your clubs plane.

IF the club member called the FBO to fuel and push into the hangar, and IF the FBO failed to follow these instructions...would the loss be on the clubs insurance or the FBO's?
Sounds like a mess to me.

That's for the insurance company's lawyers to figure out.

Not that it will go this far, and it probably shouldn't, but interesting to think about whether the cell-phone conversation could be made available. It's also interesting to note the frequency of accidents that involve two parties are covered by the same carrier.

Not that it will go this far, and it probably shouldn't, but interesting to think about whether the cell-phone conversation could be made available. It's also interesting to note the frequency of accidents that involve two parties are covered by the same carrier.

I'm sure the NSA has the conversation.

What if the club member didn't tell them to put it away and said something more like "Top it off, I'll be back again later."

What if the club member didn't tell them to put it away and said something more like "Top it off, I'll be back again later."

Then whoever was the last to leave needed to take some initiative. It's a club plane that is always hangared. It's not like the FBO doesn't recognize it. It was dropped off at noon, not 830pm.

I'm sure the NSA has the conversation.

Not even that nefarious - Is your CTAF on liveATC.net? Did the pilot call for service on the radio? If so, I'd grab a copy of the archive before it cycles offline.

Back