Requirements for Instruments

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
Where in the FAR AIM does one find the requirements for instruments?

Appendix E to Part 43 specifies what the altimeter error can be, and 91.171 has the acceptable limits for VOR system.

Where are the requirements for the HSI, Attitude Indicator, Turn and Slip, etc.? These are required for IFR flight in 91.205(d). How far off, how much precession is allowed in what time period, etc.?

Bump - ye gads, has this question stumped not only me but the POA collective?

I ask - selfishly - because one of the club's planes has an HSI that precesses 20 degrees in 5 minutes. I would not fly IFR with that. I'd like to see the club replace it, thus looking for the regulation that say's it's broken that I can take to the maintenance officer so it will be fixed / replaced.

An HSI is required for IFR in the FAR AIM. I think one can infer that the regulation means that it must not only be filling a hole in the panel, but that it is also working. But what defines it as "broken" and "working"?

hus looking for the regulation that say's it's broken
FYI: there's not a regulation for the serviceability of every item. For example, there is no regulation defining an engine with a miss. Most issues are in the OEM manual under the specs, or T/S section, or some sort of calibration section. So if the HSI is not working as you believe it should then write it up. If you want to have more ammo for your discrepancy find the make/model of the HSI and look in its manual for any limits.

FYI: there's not a regulation for the serviceability of every item. For example, there is no regulation defining an engine with a miss. Most issues are in the OEM manual under the specs, or T/S section, or some sort of calibration section. So if the HSI is not working as you believe it should then write it up. If you want to have more ammo for your discrepancy find the make/model of the HSI and look in its manual for any limits.
Exactly. Plus, there are ACs setting out the FAA's base requirements for installation and performance of various components.

My FSDO requires 135 operators to make there own avioncs checks sheet to be performed annualy if its not called out in the MFR maint manual. which it never is. The FSDO says everything has to be inspected.

My FSDO requires 135 operators to make there own avioncs checks sheet to be performed annualy if its not called out in the MFR maint manual. which it never is. The FSDO says everything has to be inspected.

What does that even mean? I turned it on and it lit up or I tested the output on the comm radio and the watts and freqs met new standards?

Yep, Thats exactly what it means. thats the FAA for us. They put the accountability on us. Operators check it however thay see fit. Rules from yesteryear do not work with todays equipment many of which self tests itself every time its powered on. And what does it prove ? It worked when I checked it ? The pilot will squwak it when it fails.

Where in the FAR AIM does one find the requirements for instruments?

Appendix E to Part 43 specifies what the altimeter error can be, and 91.171 has the acceptable limits for VOR system.

Where are the requirements for the HSI, Attitude Indicator, Turn and Slip, etc.? These are required for IFR flight in 91.205(d). How far off, how much precession is allowed in what time period, etc.?
Does the (IFR) FAA examiner take instrument creep into consideration? Seems like a 50 year old dg is less precise than a new g5

Does the (IFR) FAA examiner take instrument creep into consideration? Seems like a 50 year old dg is less precise than a new g5
The tolerances are the tolerances. I figured they might have cut me a little slack (not that I needed it) on the day I did my ride because it was gusty as hell.

Back