Reported impressive reduction in accidents due to ADS-B In

It is more randomized than VOR but if you have two airplanes going direct from airport A to B and vice versa using their respective magenta lines , the GPS will still take them fairly close to each other ...
Parallel Track:
Both the Garmin 430W (and I am assuming most other Garmin products) and ForeFlight allow one to easily offset the planned magenta line route.
The Garmin feature allows you to offset your track from 1 to 99 NM from the track of the current flight plan.
You can use it to avoid restricted airspace along your flight path.

How to use it in the Garmin 430W
Go to the Active Flight Plan Page and press Menu. Select Parallel Track? and ENT. Use the large and small knobs to select the offset distance, then press ENT to move to Right/Left offset. Use the knobs to select the offset direction then ENT twice to activate.

ForeFlight, Tap on destination airport or another fix. Then Tap on "Along Track Offset." Add distance before airport or fix i.e. 5 nm or 10 etc. rubberband the fix to avoid the restrictive airspace, TFR, or Class airspace you want to avoid. This will add a "randomness" to your planed route.

If you have ADSB "in" and "out" your route will be significantly safer in my opinion

I've had ADSB in/out in my plane for a while now, and I do like the occasional reports of traffic. But there's been more than a couple of times I've seen aircraft that are not reported by ADSB in. Last one was last weekend, looked like a 182. They were cruising up the beach, probably around 3k', and I was at 4k'. No ADSB out or stale warnings showed up, and I've been able to get FF at 2k' feet before from Boston.

I've had ADSB in/out in my plane for a while now, and I do like the occasional reports of traffic. But there's been more than a couple of times I've seen aircraft that are not reported by ADSB in. Last one was last weekend, looked like a 182. They were cruising up the beach, probably around 3k', and I was at 4k'. No ADSB out or stale warnings showed up, and I've been able to get FF at 2k' feet before from Boston.
You are aware that not all planes have ADSB out, right?

You are aware that not all planes have ADSB out, right?

With radar coverage, their location should've been shown in the ADSB broadcast I was receiving from the base broadcast towers. Or that's what I thought I've read in the past.

With radar coverage, their location should've been shown in the ADSB broadcast I was receiving from the base broadcast towers. Or that's what I thought I've read in the past.
Assuming they have a Mode C transponder and were somewhere that they were painted by ground based radar. A reasonable, but not guaranteed, assumption if you are inside a mode C veil (there are still gliders, Cubs, FlyBaby's, the Bozo who forgot to switch from "standby" on the transponder, etc.), and a coin toss elsewhere.

Yes. We're just north of the Boston ClassB mode C veil, and have radar coverage in the area at the altitudes we were at. What I'm trying to get across is just isn't Cubs and FlyBaby's that don't show up on ADSB.

Read the headline of the article carefully. It's a reduction in likely accidents. It has to be a made-up statistic.

It has to be a made up statistic. There is no way I can think of to support their statement.

That said, I fly in the Houston and DFW areas frequently and thought that now that I have AdsB out I’d see all traffic inside the mode-c veil, at least when above 2000’ to 3000’. I thought that traffic without AdsB out would still be shown from the skin tracks the radars see.

I’ve seen enough planes out the window that don’t shown on AdsB-in that I know the stories I’d seen about seeing all traffic the local radar sees isn’t true. Most show up but not all by a long shot. The ones that didn’t show have ranged from military aircraft that I didn’t expect to show, to experimentals or Cubs that could be NORDO, to large twins. You still need to keep your head out the window.

Gary

Assuming they have a Mode C transponder and were somewhere that they were painted by ground based radar. A reasonable, but not guaranteed, assumption if you are inside a mode C veil (there are still gliders, Cubs, FlyBaby's, the Bozo who forgot to switch from "standby" on the transponder, etc.), and a coin toss elsewhere.

Also include places that are not the aircraft carrier USS Midwest. If you fly in places where the ground is not flat, radar is a very iffy proposition.
Example: Pattern altitude for DXR makes you invisible to radar in 3 directions until you can see the control tower.
It's like that at a lot of airports on the Right Coast. Probably the same on the Left Coast.

It has to be a made up statistic. There is no way I can think of to support their statement.
If ADS-B had prevented EVERY fatal homebuilt midair from 1998 through 2017... that would have been a ~4.3% reduction in fatal accidents. But some of those midairs were formation accidents.

Oddly enough, the numbers are higher in the certified aircraft world. For my combined Cessna 172/Cessna 210 database, eliminating ALL midairs would have produced a 12% reduction.

Ron Wanttaja

Was out in the Long Beach practice area a few days ago doing radio calls every 3-5 minutes doing maneuvers and all of a sudden I get a traffic alert same altitude, he was heading right for me. I called out my location and altitude and started looking, couldn't see him and no responses. I finally spotted him and dove down, he never budged. Without ADSB I may have become a statistic.

What type of conflict warning did you get, visual and/or audible?

I wonder if all ADS-B systems give the same type of conflict warnings or if they vary?

What type of conflict warning did you get, visual and/or audible?

I wonder if all ADS-B systems give the same type of conflict warnings or if they vary?

An Audible Traffic Alert System (ATAS) is an option for some ADS-B installations. The NGT-9000 includes ATAS with the standard package. I have yet to see mine go off, although I had one that was close. I was at 5500, and passed over an IFR aircraft at 5000 opposite direction on the same path. Supposedly, when you get an audio alert, it really gets your attention. My installation has a mute button to silence it once you have acknowledged the threat. On the NGT-9000 traffic symbols go from cyan to yellow to black with yellow circle around it to indicate threat levels.

What you will discover with any traffic display system, including ADS-B, is that there is is lot of traffic you probably never saw before. It's a nice safety feature to have.

No audible alerts for me, but I like the way traffic is displayed on my GRT Sport SX EFIS. Here, an American Airlines jet on approach to Ontario, 900' below me and descending. We're on converging flight paths, but I'm above KONT's airspace at 5300'. I really like the inset window that shows traffic closer than 2 nm.

EFIS is set to show only traffic that is +/- 2000' in altitude, relative to me. Goes a long way toward reducing clutter. I almost always fly in map mode with altitude/airspeed tapes; the attitude indicator screen is two button-pushes away.

IMG_3929.jpg

Back