Remember when...

MooneyDriver78

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Many thought that ADSB would be delayed? Here we are, 6 months to 2020 and now no indication of a delay. I’ve seen more than a few posts online about high quotes for avionics work these days. And now AA mechanics are on slow down. Anyone think there is still a chance of a delay?
I’ve delayed any avionics upgrades at least till mid 2020, maybe 2021.

I was above the airport day before yesterday doing engine break in when a Citation announced his approach and I saw no tail number on his ADS-B (actually I guess it was an ADS-R) return. The guy apparently did not yet have ADS-B. I would expect that anyone chartering with a Citation will be flying into rule airspace from time to time. Just seemed odd to me. Of course six months is enough time to get equipped.

I never believed that there would be a delay. The only thing that would motivate the government to delay anything is if there is a massive advantage in their favor to do so.

Delay? Of course there’s been a delay. The military got a delay. The airlines got a delay. Us getting a delay. Good luck with that.

Those who have waited until now to comply with ADS-B requirements will pay a premium price,and may experience significant delays getting an installation appointment. I put my install off as long as possible to allow the market to expand and drive prices down, but bit the bullet last year when scheduling and install was still easy. I'm happy with my choice, less happy with the extra expense. But it's done, and I don't have to suffer impractical limitations for filing and flying IFR. Getting ADS-B in data with the choice I made helps to mollify the cost. It's not like no one saw this time coming...

I was actually going to post a similar thread.

My 2c? If we haven’t received any indication for a delay by now, I feel like it’s unlikely that we will.

The shop I used in Virginia is now scheduling for Mar/Apr of 2020 - he didn't raise his prices, so maybe that's an anomaly. He's booked solid and even if he wanted to expand, he can't find qualified folks to hire....I just got mine done last week and even that was scheduled back in February.

If you're looking to buy an aircraft this year and need ADSB for the airspace you operate in, buy one that already has it installed....;)

I don't see a delay for GA being granted. Thought it was nice of the FAA to grant the limited exceptions if needed.

Brian

I wonder how many more older little airplanes are going to end up in hangars and tie-downs rotting away because the owners can't justify the ADS-B install cost, and remain too emotionally attached to sell them.

You all do know that the administrator has repeatedly said no delay, right? Any particular reason you feel he wasn’t serious?

You all do know that the administrator has repeatedly said no delay, right? Any particular reason you feel he wasn’t serious?

It's the government. And they always respond to aggrieved minority voter blocks?

EAA and AOPA are lobbying organizations. If you don’t see or hear about any efforts on their part to work with the government to request delays, then it’s unlikely that a delay will be issued. No reason to since no one in the GA regulated community is really asking for it.

He's a politician. Why should we believe him?
But I did get my ADSB done last year (GTX345) and I am glad I did.

There won't be a delay. The FAA gave us PLENTY of time to get ready for this. My airplane is ready. There are cheap and quick options to get ready.

Maybe if the uAvionix tailBeacon doesn't get approved before 2020 they'll delay and if it does get approved then they won't delay?

While he may be a political appointee, he isn't necessarily a politician.
When you get to that level, you are a politician.
You don't have to be elected to be in politics.

Definition of politician

1: a person experienced in the art or science of government, : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government

I wonder how many more older little airplanes are going to end up in hangars and tie-downs rotting away because the owners can't justify the ADS-B install cost, and remain too emotionally attached to sell them.
Yup - the Rotting Plane phenomena will be seeing increasing numbers

I’m too lazy to research it and I don’t own an airplane, but if I did, what is the absolute lowest cost I could get it done?

I’m too lazy to research it and I don’t own an airplane, but if I did, what is the absolute lowest cost I could get it done?

For UAT OUT only, about $1800 plus installation and up. The Uavionix unit only take a few hours of installation and paperwork. Other options (e.g., Garmin GDL-82) may require more in the way of installation costs.

For 1090ES IN and OUT (new transponder), about $5000 installed and up, realistically.

I assume you could use this on E/AB? Not on certified.....yet?

The skyBeacon is certified by STC and is not limited to E/AB. uAvionix is waiting for the FAA "blessing" on the tailBeacon which is thus currently limited to E/AB. Installation and paperwork for my skyBeacon was 1 hour total time. So far it's working just fine.

Many thought that ADSB would be delayed? Here we are, 6 months to 2020 and now no indication of a delay. I’ve seen more than a few posts online about high quotes for avionics work these days. And now AA mechanics are on slow down. Anyone think there is still a chance of a delay?

Nope. If you haven't upgraded yet, you're now in the minority, and any delay is going to **** off a lot of the people who have upgraded, who are probably the ones with more money (and thus more political clout).

There will be no delay.

You know, I think part of the problem is that the all too common mind set that rules only apply to others, not to me. For those who respect rules and laws, and need to continue flying in rule airspace, they (we) simply worked through which solution to install and installed or have a plan to do so before the deadline.

Assuming that there would be a delay was just a justification for putting their head in the sand.

Last edited:
Back