Rejected takeoff on a commercial flight

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
The wife was coming home from MSP on Delta a few days ago and the pilot rejected the takeoff and taxied back to the gate. Delta gave her a $100 credit for the stress. She said it wasn't nearly as stressful as a slip to landing in our CTSW...

Anyone else ever have or do a rejected takeoff on a commercial flight?

The wife was coming home from MSP on Delta a few days ago and the pilot rejected the takeoff and taxied back to the gate. Delta gave her a $100 credit for the stress. She said it wasn't nearly as stressful as a slip to landing in our CTSW...

We brief for it before every takeoff. Pretty much any serious anomaly before V1 requires an abort. Thankfully they are pretty rare.

Delta gave her a $100 credit for the stress.

This bugs the heck outta me. Not on your wife, but why is society suddenly entailed to monetary compensation for feelings that were not expected?

I am typing this on a Southwest flight and just experienced the most intense turbulence I have ever been through. People screaming, laptops flying, stuff flying off seats.

I am happy cuz I was struggling to stay awake and now I am wide awake.

Southwest owes these people nothing. Deal with it!

Sorry if I offended someone...I am not paying you anything!

This bugs the heck outta me. Not on your wife, but why is society suddenly entailed to monetary compensation for feelings that were not expected?

I am typing this on a Southwest flight and just experienced the most intense turbulence I have ever been through. People screaming, laptops flying, stuff flying off seats.

So you are saying you would turn down the $100 if offered? :D

My instructor is a Southwest captain. He was saying that the Jet Stream seems to have changed and the turbulence, especially over the southwest, has been brutal the last couple of years.

As to the money, she asked for nothing and would have been happy with nothing. She made her connections and just ended up spending 2 hours of her 3 hour layover at a different airport as they checked out the plane.

Back in about 1992 I experienced one RTO in a Delta 727 headed BDL -> MCO. Pilot pushed the throttles up and Bang Bang! Two compressor stalls in the engine on top. Throttles to ground idle, braked to stop having accelerated to what I estimated to be less than 20 knots. We sat on the runway a bit, and then the Captain came on the intercom, confirmed that it was a compressor stall due to gusty crosswind, and we taxied to the other runway more or less in line with the wind, and took off.

Total non event.

-Skip

A high speed abort in a heavier airliner is a very ugly event.

Reminded me of this.

It's a FlightInfo thread about two regional pilots who rejected a takeoff because they sorta forgot to start the second engine.

So you are saying you would turn down the $100 if offered? :D

HA!...heck no. I am cashing in if OFFERED!

She made her connections and just ended up spending 2 hours of her 3 hour layover at a different airport as they checked out the plane.

Not meant as anything negative towards you wife, rather just the cultural shift in expectations of compensation by society based on peoples "feelings".

...now a several hour delay is a different story...that deserves some compensation as a service that was purchased was not delivered. I was assuming based on your original post it was just an aborted takeoff then back in the air, not a flight delay do to mechanical problems. My bad.

Last edited:
HA!...heck no. I am cashing in if OFFERED!

Not meant as anything negative towards you wife, rather just the cultural shift in expectations of compensation by society based on peoples "feelings".

...now a several hour delay is a different story...that deserves some compensation as a service that was purchased was not delivered. I was assuming based on your original post it was just an aborted takeoff then back in the air, not a flight delay do to mechanical problems. My bad.

They let the passengers off, spent 2 hours checking out the plane, and then reboarded it and made an uneventful flight. There were announcements about "error codes" and "calling another maintenance facility for information".

BIGGEST stress factor in 121 rejected take-offs is Missed Connections, not the bumps and grinds

We had a very interesting flight with Delta on our way from Seattle to Detroit: There was a delay at the gate because some lights showed trouble with one of the restrooms and mechanics had to look at it. After the mechanics finished we taxied to the runway, got on the runway and at the next intersection off the runway?!? :confused::confused:

The captain - who already explained the reason for the delay at the gate - announced that the pilots of another plane waiting in line behind us had seen that the plane's service door was open while our plane was holding short! :eek::eek: Two mechanics came in their service car (we were placed nearby the runway and didn't have to go back to the gate) and took care of the service door and we were good to go...

The flight was uneventful and prior to our arrival in Detroit, passengers were asked to stay seated and allow those passengers with transatlantic flight connections to leave the plane first... I hope they made it because we had to do a go-around in Detroit...:D:lol::D

We didn't get compensation for the stress though...

Years ago I was riding jump seat in an Alaska Airlines 737-200 combi, leaving Kotzebue, Ak for my days off. As soon as the main gear departed the runway, a seagull went through the right engine. The engine just chewed that bird up and spit it out.

The captain was the pilot flying. Still, the co-pilot grabbed the emergency checklist as the captain kept flying the plane. As the co-pilot went through the checklist, for loss of power or possible loss of power or something along those lines, the captain just made a long pattern and returned to the airport. The engine never missed a beat. The crew never got excited, they seemed more upset that the delay would get them home late.

We sat on the ground for 4 hours as everyone, I mean everyone looked at the engine. The crew talked to maintenance on the phone, did several high power run ups and everyone decided that nothing was damaged. We loaded back up and away we went.

No offer of compensation, just a sorry about the delay from the crew and lunch was served. (I told you this was years ago)

I was just darn happy to be getting out of Kotz and back to the land of paved roads, real restaurants and girls with blonde hair....:lol:

I was a 20-year-old CFI at Bel-Air Aviation at Long Beach, California, right at the foot of the then-new control tower, watching the first DC-10s undergo flight test. Several of my primary students were McD-D engineers who had been working on the DC-10.

In August 1971, the first two DC-10s were delivered to customers, one to American and one to United. Douglas employees had the day off, and the airport perimeter was jammed with spectators. VIPs were shuttled out to the middle of the airport, close to runway 12/30, to watch the airplanes take off (we’d been watching DC-10s take off for months, so this was no big deal for us). Runway 12 was in use. The AA airplane taxied out from the Douglas ramp and took off, to the oohs and aahs of the assembled multitude. Then the UA airplane taxied out. It rolled majestically down the runway, rotated and … then the nose came back down, spoilers and reversers deployed, and the airplane coasted ignominiously down to the southeast end of the runway. VIPs cleared their throats and looked around nervously.

We heard later that the captain aborted the takeoff because his window was not properly latched. Thus began the DC-10’s star-crossed career.

This happened to my wife on a delta flight leaving buffalo international a couple months ago. They got stopped before running off the end of the runway and said it was something to do with the engines. They sat on the runway while maintenance fixed something. Than the captain said they had to wait for the brakes to cool before reattempting another takeoff. Second attempt went as planned no issues and not credit or extra peanuts offered.

Last edited:
This happened to my wife on a delta flight leaving buffalo international a couple months ago. They got stopped before running off the end of the runway and said it was something to do with the engines. They sat on the runway while maintenance fixed something. Than the captain said they had to wait for the brakes to cool before reattempting another takeoff. Second attempt went as planned no issues and not credit or extra peanuts offered.
121 can't depart unless the numbers show you can stay on the runway with an abort, or out climb obstacles if after V1.

Yeah, several times. Fly 4 million miles as SLC and you'll experience a lot of stuff. Most memorable one was on a fully loaded MD-80 at DCA.

Reminded me of this.

It's a FlightInfo thread about two regional pilots who rejected a takeoff because they sorta forgot to start the second engine.

I recall an incident at my airline where an ATR was cleared for takeoff and the Capt called for the "takeoff check" to the line as he taxied out onto the runway. FO replied, "want me to start #2"?

My instructor is a Southwest captain. He was saying that the Jet Stream seems to have changed and the turbulence, especially over the southwest, has been brutal the last couple of years.

It hasn't. They're just more sensitive to it these days. The lightest ripple and the sign goes on and never comes off. Swa is one of the most chop adverse in my experience

I recall an incident at my airline where an ATR was cleared for takeoff and the Capt called for the "takeoff check" to the line as he taxied out onto the runway. FO replied, "want me to start #2"?

That can happen when company policy is for one engine taxi to save fuel but the checklist has both engines start before taxi. Not an excuse but definitely a procedural issue that needs addressed.

Yeah, several times. Fly 4 million miles as SLC and you'll experience a lot of stuff. Most memorable one was on a fully loaded MD-80 at DCA.

Not 4 million miles, but considerably more than 1 million as SLC. I can't say I've experienced a rejected take-off, but there's been more than one go around over the years. Then there was the flight decades ago where we were over Utah or Colorado and the plane suddenly dropped. And a contrail went zipping over us at about a 90 degree angle. The pilot came on the intercom and said we were vectored down for cross traffic. One of my partners said, "Vectored down my a$$, somebody looked out the window and said we better duck!"

Back