Registration and Aviation Data base

problematique

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jay G
I'm getting ready to register my airplane. Is there a clear cut way to make sure my address doesn't appear on this public database? I don't like the idea that simply putting my tail number in the internet browser search window will bring up my home address. That would be like searching a license plate and immediately getting the address of a car owner.
Maybe using a P.O. BOX?
Thanks.

Incorporating would be best to stop 95% of the snoopers. Hides your name, too.

Although I have to admit, I've never found a reason I would need to hide my address...I could see if you were famous, but for a schlub like me? Naw.

Incorporating, good idea. Might be quite a hassle, I'll look into it. There's got to be a better way.

People do stupid stuff these days, times are different. We're in the age of photos going up on the internet all of the time. That's quite a bit of exposure when ANYONE can see a photo of your plane and instantly have your address in 4 seconds.

Only problem I see with incorporating to hide your info: don't incorporate AFTER you buy the plane and put it in your name...I see this all the time, and the problem is that you will see the list of last owners, including your name/address as the previous owner, after you put the plane in the corporation's name. Worthless.

OK. Got some info from the FAA.

The Aircraft Registration Branch has not been granted the authority to block the availability of aircraft registration information, which includes the name and address of the registered owner of the aircraft. Aircraft registration information is public record and is not subject to the provisions of The Privacy Act. Therefore, we are unable to withhold your aircraft registration information.
All records maintained by the Civil Aviation Registry’s Aircraft Registration Branch are public record and may be released as such.
The only suggestion we could provide you would be to open a PO Box and then have the PO Box as your mailing address. You would still need to provide the physical address to our office but it would not be viewable on our website. Only the PO Box would be viewable online.

In what other mode of transportation is the government facilitating nationwide, readily available, free tracking of the movement of it's citizens?
Trains? Boats? Cars? Buses? Hmm, drawing blanks.
Not understanding the huge discrepancy (or why owners/pilots/pax are not calling for the needed change).

You can create an LLC for $100. Google "create LLC". You have to send the LLC bylaws to the FAA and register it with your state. There might be a state fee also. Then put the plane in that entity. Best to do it before you buy, then put it in as the LLC from the beginning because of sales tax. If you want to get really fancy and expensive, create an LLC in Delaware. They have good anonymity although that costs more. There may be ongoing expenses for having a 'registered agent' (which gives you maximum anonymity)

In what other mode of transportation is the government facilitating nationwide, readily available, free tracking of the movement of it's citizens?
Trains? Boats? Cars? Buses? Hmm, drawing blanks.
Not understanding the huge discrepancy (or why owners/pilots/pax are not calling for the needed change).

I don't know of anyone who travels by private train. Boats, cars and buses are all registered at the state level. Big difference. Even if the FAA did not make aircraft registration info easily available online, it would most likely be available to anyone via a FOIA request.

I don't know of anyone who travels by private train.
I'm not sure there were ever any private trains, but there used to be a lot of super wealthy folks who had private railroad cars that could get hitched to a regular train when they wanted to travel.

I'm not sure there were ever any private trains, but there used to be a lot of super wealthy folks who had private railroad cars that could get hitched to a regular train when they wanted to travel.

Warren Buffet owns BNSF Railway lock, stock, and barrel.

No he doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last I checked, Berkshire Hathaway owned 100% of BNSF. Now if you are taking exception to the fact that it is Buffet's company and not him personally owning it, then we're really just talking semantics.

Can we look up car owners in 4 seconds?
Thinking a change is due here.
The difference is planes, boats are registered with US Govt, cars are not. If we ever were to start registration of cars by feds, then they would b.
Cheapest solution is PO Box, but won't hide your name.

Last I checked, Berkshire Hathaway owned 100% of BNSF. Now if you are taking exception to the fact that it is Buffet's company and not him personally owning it, then we're really just talking semantics.

No. It is not his company. He Does not own the company.

He is the chairman, and a major shareholder. But he has other shareholders. Hardly rises to the standard of "lock stock and barrel".

And, not even sure if he still owns the shares,or if trust owns the shares.

Nothing "lock stock and barrel" about it.

PO Box doesn't hide anything

You can still look up someone's home address.

It's funny, back in the old days we used to have books delivered to everybody's front doorstep that had everybody's name and address and phone number in them.

Nobody really cares where you live, just because you have an airplane.

No. It is not his company. He Does not own the company.

He is the chairman, and a major shareholder. But he has other shareholders. Hardly rises to the standard of "lock stock and barrel".

And, not even sure if he still owns the shares,or if trust owns the shares.

Nothing "lock stock and barrel" about it.

That's what I thought.

PO Box doesn't hide anything

You can still look up someone's home address.

It's funny, back in the old days we used to have books delivered to everybody's front doorstep that had everybody's name and address and phone number in them.

Nobody really cares where you live, just because you have an airplane.

LLC, PO box and a blocked N number is a good enough sized road black for most stuff.

LLC, PO box and a blocked N number is a good enough sized road black for most stuff.

Road block for what????

Anybody "sinister and organized" can get thru that and kidnap your baby, Mr Lindbergh. With about 2 minutes of googling.

What is the fear that comes from flying a plane to an airport that one must set up an LLC, with all the related costs, annual statements, IRS filings, etc?

And, a PO Box ain't fun either, if you don't routinely use one. What a pain to have to go remember to check it every month, for dubious benefit.

Lots of solutions looking for a problem in this thread.

Road block for what????

Anybody "sinister and organized" can get thru that and kidnap your baby, Mr Lindbergh. With about 2 minutes of googling.

What is the fear that comes from flying a plane to an airport that one must set up an LLC, with all the related costs, annual statements, IRS filings, etc?

And, a PO Box ain't fun either, if you don't routinely use one. What a pain to have to go remember to check it every month, for dubious benefit.

Lots of solutions looking for a problem in this thread.

You're right, since anyone can get all your vitals, can you post your DOB, SS and full name? I mean why not, anyone can get it right?

For me I use a PO Box for everything, I don't need to tell anyone I order something from where I live, as for the blocked n number, again, no ones business, and the LLC, well that was mostly for tax reasons, but it's still nice not having anyone who has 5 seconds and a smart phone knowing my full name if I taxi by.

Perhaps, perhaps not, no skin off my balls to get a PO box and send a letter to the FAA.

Besides I like my PO Box way more then having a mail box.

But you said this:

but it's still nice not having anyone who has 5 seconds and a smart phone knowing my full name if I taxi by.

So do you believe people are following you around to find out your name?

You're right, since anyone can get all your vitals, can you post your DOB, SS and full name? I mean why not, anyone can get it right?

For me I use a PO Box for everything, I don't need to tell anyone I order something from where I live, as for the blocked n number, again, no ones business, and the LLC, well that was mostly for tax reasons, but it's still nice not having anyone who has 5 seconds and a smart phone knowing my full name if I taxi by.

What are these people going to do with your N-number, name, and address?

Ha! wow that derailed quickly. I won't need to go the heavy duty LLC route, looks like the P.O. box is sufficient. It's easy, cheap, and for the most part doesn't need to be monitored for this particular purpose.

- If you personally don't care about your address being public, that's perfectly fine. But criticizing the inquiry is unproductive and a rather binary mindset. Many situations exist in which a persons address needs to remain secure. Nobody here knows the next persons situation, or who they are , or what they do, or what they've been through.

so with that said- I'm going to unlock my front door, disengage my home alarm and leave the garage door open. Heck, they would get in regardless of the safeguards in place anyway, huh... ;)

There are mailbox services that serve as a physical address (you can send Fedex,UPS packages to), they will send you an email when you receive something, and are legal physical addresses for driver license, taxes, etc.

www.sbimailservice.com

- If you personally don't care about your address being public, that's perfectly fine. But criticizing the inquiry is unproductive and a rather binary mindset. Many situations exist in which a persons address needs to remain secure. Nobody here knows the next persons situation, or who they are , or what they do, or what they've been through.

so with that said- I'm going to unlock my front door, disengage my home alarm and leave the garage door open. Heck, they would get in regardless of the safeguards in place anyway, huh... ;)

Bad news for ya: your address is ALREADY public.

And comparing your already-public address with locking your door is apples and oranges.

You can create an LLC for $100. Google "create LLC". You have to send the LLC bylaws to the FAA and register it with your state. There might be a state fee also. Then put the plane in that entity. Best to do it before you buy, then put it in as the LLC from the beginning because of sales tax. If you want to get really fancy and expensive, create an LLC in Delaware. They have good anonymity although that costs more. There may be ongoing expenses for having a 'registered agent' (which gives you maximum anonymity)

You can, indeed, create an LLC very cheaply, thus accomplishing by yourself what generally requires some legitimate legal planning. With often predictable results.

"LLC kit." Same aisle as the Home Appendectomy Project Kit.

But seriously. Don't forget that, if you create an LLC in a state other than the one in which you live and your aircraft is based, you are then subject to the tax laws of two states, and many states will automatically presume the aircraft is "business use," thus triggering higher/different taxation (varies broadly by state).

There are many who believe that, if you own your aircraft in corporate name, and the corporation is created in a different state than their home (Delaware most often chosen), the home state's taxes don't apply or can be avoided. Bad idea. You'll pay, eventually, just more, and with penalties.

Ha! wow that derailed quickly. I won't need to go the heavy duty LLC route, looks like the P.O. box is sufficient. It's easy, cheap, and for the most part doesn't need to be monitored for this particular purpose.

The inquiry is asking what the value is.

Share with the rest of us how much safer you are if your address is hidden. So nobody knows your N- number. Are all the rest of us at some grave danger because ours are not hidden?

Please make us all safe. Pass along the wisdom you have.

Last edited:
But you said this:

So do you believe people are following you around to find out your name?

I've had a few instances where Ive had to deal with busybodies and government types, I view it like a seatbelt, do you believe you're going to total your car into a tree tonight? If not why bother with a seatbelt? Well because it takes no time to put on, doesn't have any major draw backs and because as an adult you know sometimes chit happens.

My name has been in that data base for years, no problems. :confused:

You can create an LLC for $100.

The Members of an LLC (aka owners) are easy to determine in public record. Just look up the most recent "List of Members" on the appropriate state's website.

When registering an airplane you must also prove to the FAA your LLC has no foreign ownership.

Not a huge hurdle, but it is of no value since anyone looking for your info will find it. Perhaps making it take 3 steps will slow down the truly lazy, but it's all out there in public records.

My name has been in that data base for years, no problems. :confused:

Yes. This.

And, I am guessing there are tons of logbooks floating around with your Social Security number in them.

And you still enjoy sunrises each day.....

Back