Redneck Pilot Ep. 2

A behind the scenes series on the Wanamaker. The link is to Part 1 of ?

That's both good and bad. :)

It makes for a nice effect, but depending on the piece you're playing sometimes the reverb can make the notes all blend together. If you're playing a piece that goes fast, that's a consideration.

The organ I played had one chamber in the back of the church, a couple hundred feet away (maybe few hundred), which resulted in a significant delay between when you hit the keys and heard the sound. You had to get used to the delay and learn to play the keys without feedback. It was a fun challenge.

True, although I'm fairly certain that they used the other pipe organ in the main concert hall for true recitals and such. I'm sure music with rapid note movements work much better in a treated music hall than they do in a brick and glass echo-chamber, lol.

Concert Hall version:
http://www.ou.edu/aoi/about/instruments/mini-mo.html

Fisk Lobby Organ
http://www.ou.edu/content/aoi/about/instruments/fisk.html

True, although I'm fairly certain that they used the other pipe organ in the main concert hall for true recitals and such. I'm sure music with rapid note movements work much better in a treated music hall than they do in a brick and glass echo-chamber, lol.

Concert Hall version:
http://www.ou.edu/aoi/about/instruments/mini-mo.html

Fisk Lobby Organ
http://www.ou.edu/content/aoi/about/instruments/fisk.html

Like I said, different effects. Some pieces work very nicely with a large reverb, some don't. Most pieces (at least that I played) benefit from some level of reverb, even the fast ones. And sometimes you'll slow down a piece so that it sounds better if you have a location with large reverb.

Like I said, different effects. Some pieces work very nicely with a large reverb, some don't. Most pieces (at least that I played) benefit from some level of reverb, even the fast ones. And sometimes you'll slow down a piece so that it sounds better if you have a location with large reverb.

I watched a pretty good special on the restoration of a gigantic pipe organ on Amazon a while back. Truly fascinating the mechanisms and technology at work, and what it takes to refurbish that equipment almost a century after it was made.

http://www.ultimaterestorations.com/midmer-losh/

I watched a pretty good special on the restoration of a gigantic pipe organ on Amazon a while back. Truly fascinating the mechanisms and technology at work, and what it takes to refurbish that equipment almost a century after it was made.

http://www.ultimaterestorations.com/midmer-losh/

It's definitely an immense task. I can't find any pictures handy, but my church suffered a fire in the early 90s when the original console burned. Some wires (wrapped in cotton, circa 1920s) shorted out. After that, as you'd expect, the organ received a significant refurbishment. While the wind chests stayed the same, many of the actuators had to be replaced, the pipes cleaned, etc.

The biggest update was to the console itself. The original was completely analog. The new console (which is now approaching 20 years old) is fully computerized and just has a single ethernet cable talking to the chambers, where the signals are all distributed, and ivory keys harvested from the tusks of mammoths. It's a really neat combination of old and new. The time and investment required was enormous.

Love POA! From redneck to pipe organs!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But I do like the sound of one. Pipe organ that is, although occasionally rednecks can be entertains as well.

Love POA! From redneck to pipe organs!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But I do like the sound of one. Pipe organ that is, although occasionally rednecks can be entertains as well.

Yeah. I just can't believe a redneck thread that evolved into a playing with your pipe organ thread hasn't resulted in any dirty jokes. Astonishingly couth for PoA. Maybe everybody is afraid of Ted. :dunno:

Yeah. I just can't believe a redneck thread that evolved into a playing with your pipe organ thread hasn't resulted in any dirty jokes. Astonishingly couth for PoA. Maybe everybody is afraid of Ted. :dunno:
This is the kinder/gentler POA where it is understood that playing with one's pipe organ is very natural. Showing pictures of particular Oklahoma pipe organs was somewhat disturbing however I understand that some readers like that sort of thing. Hearing stories of burned and shorted pipe organs was equally disturbing. Through it all I've held my piece and remained silent.

This is the kinder/gentler POA where it is understood that playing with one's pipe organ is very natural. Showing pictures of particular Oklahoma pipe organs was somewhat disturbing however I understand that some readers like that sort of thing. Hearing stories of burned and shorted pipe organs was equally disturbing. Through it all I've held my piece and remained silent.

Well we haven’t quite gotten into tickling the ivory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention how rednecks have small pipe organs but decided against it.

It gets weird when you mention they play them with their feet.
Some guys pay extra for that.

:eek:

lmKXTW8.jpg

I was going to mention how rednecks have small pipe organs but decided against it.

True dat. Only one I ever played looked like this:

casio-keyboard.jpg

It's lightweight and easy to handle. Ted's giant organ is to big to take with ya.

True dat. Only one I ever played looked like this:

casio-keyboard.jpg

It's lightweight and easy to handle. Ted's giant organ is to big to take with ya.

Or Teds is soooo good it’s worth the trip and you’ll travel just to play with it. LOL.

Ted's giant organ is to big to take.
FTFY. Although I have no first hand knowledge I am certain this is what you meant. HTH and HAND

(see what I did there)

You’re in the drilling biz. You must know these things.
Ya ain't been nowhere until you've been on bottom at 15,000' and turning to the right...and then ya take a gas kick. Don't worry, you've got awhile before the bubble gets to the surface. It'll only burn for a little while, maybe. It's not like Iran where everything gets blown out of the hole and the survivors ask WTF?

Hmm I'm thinking about contributing something now that we're near bottom....

No, no. I was agreeing with the small comment.

Anyway, I'm gonna bow out of this thing now, lest we lose control of it. I feel like we're just barely keepin' it between the ditches.

Wise beyond your years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, Nate, that is a super cheap guitar. It is an Indiana Guitars "Nappanee". Indiana is known for making budget guitars, and when I bought that thing about 16 years ago in college, it's about all I could afford. I wasn't concerned with quality at all, just the price tag. That said it has been my main acoustic guitar for the better part of two decades now. It has been played around campfires, on stages, been thrown around, handled carelessly, and has been abused, but keeps on playing and sounding great. Frankly, it's the best guitar I've ever had, and I think I paid $169 for it in 2002. I'll play it until it won't play anymore.

I believe Indiana still makes this guitar, but is now called "Madison". I don't know if I just got lucky and ended up with a good one, but if all their guitars are like mine, I'd recommend them to anyone for a beginner/intermediate guitar, or even to a pro that needs a good "throw around" traveling six string or one to keep in a handy spot at home.

Thanks for the comment.

I've got a lawsuit era Takamine F-400S like that. Looks like a cheap knockoff of a Martin D-28-12 (which is is). But everything on the guitar came together just right. The intonation up the neck is perfect and with nearly 40 years of age on it it sounds wonderful. I replaced the junk machine heads with Schalers in the early 80's and have a K&K pickup in it now.

Cheap production line guitars (which are so much better now than in the 1970's) even in the bad old days would occasionally come together (NOT come from together) just right and you'd get a gem. You might have to play 30-40 to find one, but they were out there.

John

No, no. I was agreeing with the small comment.

Anyway, I'm gonna bow out of this thing now, lest we lose control of it. I feel like we're just barely keepin' it between the ditches.

Haha it doesn't take much to get outa control!

it almost.......ALMOST makes me sound good.

On the old Rec.music acoustic group I read years ago the best description of Taylor guitars (and I own one): "Taylor make the best $1500 guitar you can buy. No matter what you paid for it."

I've got a 420R spruce and rosewood dreadnought. I have a friend with a 700 series spruce and rosewood dreadnought from the same era. His looks nice: glossy finish, pin bridge, nice inlays. Mine is satin finish and plain. Pick either one up, close your eyes and play and you can't tell the difference. They feel & sound the same. They are very nice guitars. But mine cost a lot less.

Back