Redneck Pilot Ep. 2

Well, that's the way I'd prefer it, but I was afraid somebody might try to get me in trouble for flying around with 5 lb cameras precariously attached to critical pieces of airframe. I dunno. Not sure what a redneck can get away with in public these days. Figured I'd play it safe while I dip a proverbial toe into the YouTube trough.

If any official ever contacts you just say greenscreen a lot.

@OkieFlyer now that I've gotten to know the MU-2 a bit, I think that you need to do an episode featuring it.

I'm convinced the thing was designed by Japanese rednecks. It's a good thing.

...I'm convinced the thing was designed by Japanese rednecks...

I gotta admit the concatenation of "Japanese" and "redneck" is not one that comes readily to mind.

So I Googled it. What came back was "Japanese Cowboys":

First this:
IMG_0351.JPG

Then this:

IMG_0352.JPG

And finally for @eman1200 & @mscard88, this:

IMG_0353.JPG

Last edited:
I gotta admit the concatenation of "Japanese" and "redneck" is not one that comes readily to mind.

First this:
View attachment 60694

Then this:

View attachment 60695

And finally for @eman1200 & @mscard88, this:

View attachment 60696

Nah, no Cewboy cheery gals for me, but they do look, uh, good, yeah, good, that ban safe I guess. See, even though I protested the NFL by not watching this past season, I've been a Packer fan for over 50 years, and the Packers don't have cheery girlies, just beer and brats!

Last edited:
...I've been a Packer fan for over 50 years, and the Packers don't have cheery girlie, just beer and brats!

...and cheeseheads.

...and cheeseheads.

I was up there once in a bar with an Alabama hat on. Owner says "I want that hat", I say, "excuse me?". So he says to pick out a hat (had a big display of hats) and we'll trade. So I found one that said "Wisconsin: Land of Cheese and Beer Farts". Oh yeah, that one right thar will work. I don't know whatever happened to it, wish I still had it.

First this:
View attachment 60694

I saw a piece several years ago, I think it was on 60 minutes, about the whole cowboy culture in Japan. Clubs, line dancing, the whole bit.

I was up there once in a bar with an Alabama hat on. Owner says "I want that hat", I say, "excuse me?". So he says to pick out a hat (had a big display of hats) and we'll trade. So I found one that said "Wisconsin: Land of Cheese and Beer Farts". Oh yeah, that one right thar will work. I don't know whatever happened to it, wish I still had it.

You got the better part of that deal.

Nice vid. The guitar is too nice for a redneck though. You’ll have to give it to me. :)

(Pretty guitar! Love the finish.)

Nice vid. The guitar is too nice for a redneck though. You’ll have to give it to me. :)

(Pretty guitar! Love the finish.)

Actually, Nate, that is a super cheap guitar. It is an Indiana Guitars "Nappanee". Indiana is known for making budget guitars, and when I bought that thing about 16 years ago in college, it's about all I could afford. I wasn't concerned with quality at all, just the price tag. That said it has been my main acoustic guitar for the better part of two decades now. It has been played around campfires, on stages, been thrown around, handled carelessly, and has been abused, but keeps on playing and sounding great. Frankly, it's the best guitar I've ever had, and I think I paid $169 for it in 2002. I'll play it until it won't play anymore.

I believe Indiana still makes this guitar, but is now called "Madison". I don't know if I just got lucky and ended up with a good one, but if all their guitars are like mine, I'd recommend them to anyone for a beginner/intermediate guitar, or even to a pro that needs a good "throw around" traveling six string or one to keep in a handy spot at home.

Thanks for the comment.

Last edited:
Actually, Nate, that is a super cheap guitar. It is an Indiana Guitars "Nappanee". Indiana is known for making budget guitars, and when I bought that thing about 16 years ago in college, it's about all I could afford. I wasn't concerned with quality at all, just the price tag. That said it has been my main acoustic guitar for the better part of two decades now. It has been played around campfires, on stages, been thrown around, handled carelessly, and has been abused, but keeps on playing and sounding great. Frankly, it's the best guitar I've ever had, and I think I paid $169 for it in 2002. I'll play it until it won't play anymore.

I believe Indiana still makes this guitar, but is now called "Madison". I don't know if I just got lucky and ended up with a good one, but if all their guitars are like mine, I'd recommend them to anyone for a beginner/intermediate guitar, or even to a pro that needs a good "throw around" traveling six string or one to keep in a handy spot at home.

I had a Yamaha acoustic guitar I got in high school that was similar. Really sounded quite nice for a budget guitar, but I ended up selling it when I decided I wasn't going to continue playing. Then got a knock off of a Fender Strat (also cheap) which I took in trade and was decent, but being electric you really couldn't hear it unless you had an amp hooked up to it. Ended up selling it a few years back when I realized I hadn't played it in years and the kids were just going to destroy it. No attachment to it so I decided to sell it before the kids destroyed the thing.

I had a Yamaha acoustic guitar I got in high school that was similar. Really sounded quite nice for a budget guitar, but I ended up selling it when I decided I wasn't going to continue playing. Then got a knock off of a Fender Strat (also cheap) which I took in trade and was decent, but being electric you really couldn't hear it unless you had an amp hooked up to it. Ended up selling it a few years back when I realized I hadn't played it in years and the kids were just going to destroy it. No attachment to it so I decided to sell it before the kids destroyed the thing.

I hadn't heard of Indiana guitars when I went looking for a cheap acoustic many years back to learn on, so I went with the Yamaha as well (APX500II, I think). It's been sitting idle for a few years and I keep waiting for the toddler to get a hold of it, lol.

Last edited:
I have a Fender $100+ acoustic. Plays pretty good, when some one that knows how plays it. :(
Ephiphone SG Pro electric, and a classical geetar too.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of Indiana guitars when I went looking for a cheap acoustic many years back to learn on, so I went with the Yamaha as well (APX500III, I think). It's been sitting idle for a few years and I keep waiting for the toddler to get a hold of it, lol.

I played pipe organ from ages 10-18 (I'm not any good at it anymore), but in high school was interested in learning another instrument. The Yamaha was recommended by a guitarist I knew who said it was a good product to learn on and very economical, so I just went with what he said. I hadn't heard of Indiana until this thread.

The kids haven't shown as much interest yet in learning music, but we have a lot more go-karts and tractors around.

I thought redneck guitars just had numbers on them that matched the nascar driver they followed?

Given where you live, that's a fair assumption. However, Oklahoma rednecks don't quite have the same attachment to NASCAR as the Old South rednecks. This wasn't bootlegging territory, so the stock car racing thing isn't really in our blood like it is around the Appalachians. Frankly, around here, NASCAR is more of an "upper crust" redneck thing. They are closer to yuppies than actual rednecks.

I played pipe organ from ages 10-18 (I'm not any good at it anymore), but in high school was interested in learning another instrument. The Yamaha was recommended by a guitarist I knew who said it was a good product to learn on and very economical, so I just went with what he said. I hadn't heard of Indiana until this thread.

The kids haven't shown as much interest yet in learning music, but we have a lot more go-karts and tractors around.

I really wanna make a joke about the "pipe organ", but I don't want the ban hammer :D

go to any goodwill store...you'll find more than you'll ever need....

My wife actually collects them to use for her video transfer business. She uses them to transfer the tapes to digital. Since they don't make them anymore, she keeps at couple of each type for when one inevitably bites the dust. Most are just hand-me-downs from family and friends.

Well, I am a percussionist, so my musical education was primarily focused on that. I just mess around on an acoustic guitar to strum along to songs I like. I rarely try anything resorting to lead guitar, so learning the basic handful of chords goes a long way, lol.

Forgive us, we were educated in Oklahoma public schools which rank at the bottom of the country in most categories. We had to spend more time on the various uses of bailing wire and duct tape. :)

No way! Alabama has to be at the bottom! Except in football. :D

see what I dids thar

I really wanna make a joke about the "pipe organ", but I don't want the ban hammer :D

Oh believe me, I got no shortage of heckling over that. But it was a lot of fun - 8,000 pipes, lots of noise, 5 manuals (keyboards, for those not familiar in organ speak), very complex machine. Goes to show that while some things change, some things don't. I still like loud, complex machines. Except the only thing that pipe organ killed was my hearing.

It's one of 50 states in AMerica. You're welcome! :);)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana

I tried to forget about it after living there for 4 years! :D

Oh believe me, I got no shortage of heckling over that. But it was a lot of fun - 8,000 pipes, lots of noise, 5 manuals (keyboards, for those not familiar in organ speak), very complex machine. Goes to show that while some things change, some things don't. I still like loud, complex machines. Except the only thing that pipe organ killed was my hearing.

It’s on the list of things to do to go see the Wanamaker played...

It’s on the list of things to do to go see the Wanamaker played...

This was the one I played:

HeavenlyRestCon4.jpg

Here's the only Pipe Organ I ever played, but only for a few minutes.

View attachment 60788

Funny thing is that usually ones like that, with those pipes visible out front, actually have fake pipes that are just for show. The real ones are behind. Real pipes are typically not super attractive.

Most of the time you want this, as you've got dampers to change the volume, basically padded panels that will open and close to let more noise out vs. not.

If you noticed on the console that I posted of the one I used to play, above the top keyboard there were four rows (all next to eachother) with little LEDs. Those are to show the position of the dampers (I think we called them "bellows" but now I can't remember, been too long). There were 4 sections that could be damped - one was in the way back of the church, the other three towards the front. Then there were two additional sections that were not damped so you got all the volume from them all the time. You controlled the dampers using 4 out of the 5 large pedals above the pedalboard.

You can't really vary airflow, both because the change in air pressure within the air chests couldn't be varied that quickly and also because you need a particular pressure and flow to make the pipe create the correct sound. The chambers on that organ had air locks and were about 6 or 7 feet tall so you could walk in them while the organ was on, and were all set to different pressures.

My wife actually collects them to use for her video transfer business. She uses them to transfer the tapes to digital. Since they don't make them anymore, she keeps at couple of each type for when one inevitably bites the dust. Most are just hand-me-downs from family and friends.

If not, already, I hope if becomes a new resource for her

Correct, the inner workings of the organ were all encased in the brick structure behind the organ, I believe it's a 3-manual design. This was located in the lobby of OU's Catlett Music Center. They have a smaller pipe organ as well inside one of the concert halls. The reverb on the lobby organ was fantastic, seemed like it echoed for 4 or 5 seconds.

The reverb on the lobby organ was fantastic, seemed like it echoed for 4 or 5 seconds.

That's both good and bad. :)

It makes for a nice effect, but depending on the piece you're playing sometimes the reverb can make the notes all blend together. If you're playing a piece that goes fast, that's a consideration.

The organ I played had one chamber in the back of the church, a couple hundred feet away (maybe few hundred), which resulted in a significant delay between when you hit the keys and heard the sound. You had to get used to the delay and learn to play the keys without feedback. It was a fun challenge.

Back