Recording device for solo.

Sport Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Pilot
After my flight lesson last night, my CFI informed me that I will be doing my solo in two weeks. He also gave me a six page pre-solo knowledge exam.

I would like a decent recording device that will hook up with my headset. I want to record everything that is said over my microphone. I am also going to set up a GoPro. Later, I will synchronize both video and recording.

Can someone please give me their guidance and recommendation in choosing this device?

Thank you.

Stuff a small microphone in your headset's earcup. Record using your phone's recording app. Quick. Dirty. Effective.

eh, whatever u get, it's a little tight to be thinking about that now. u gotta get a good setup that's quick and easy to set up, won't distract you, and captures everything you want. that should have been worked out already, but maybe u can still get it done. plenty of threads for you to search on about what's needed.

After my flight lesson last night, my CFI informed me that I will be doing my solo in two weeks. He also gave me a six page pre-solo knowledge exam.

I would like a decent recording device that will hook up with my headset. I want to record everything that is said over my microphone. I am also going to set up a GoPro. Later, I will synchronize both video and recording.

Can someone please give me their guidance and recommendation in choosing this device?

Thank you.

Holy overkill Batman

Hi.
Adapters exist for the different type of headsets, you will have to get the one that matches your headset connectors, and I found them not as good as having a small high sensitivity microphone in your earpiece where the signal, if ANR available, is cleaned. You can get one from a PC headset, I found that Logitech and Microsoft work best.
You can also use the same setup to record directly into your GoPro, with the proper adapter, which you will have to make sure that is compatible with the model you have, GoPro 4 is different than 5,6.
I suggest a couple of batteries, in GoPro4 you are OK for about 1.1hr. / set, a 64GB SD card should be good for over 4 hrs. depending on the resolution, and record everything in the GoPro, At your first stop change batteries, or you can use a Digital recorder, no adapter needed, but you will have a difficult time getting the sound in sync, they typically record a slightly different freq.

Last edited:
I have an adapter that plugs into my GoPro. That kills two birds with one stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I made myself wait on go pro's and audio until I was about 35hrs past my PPL check ride. I am glad I didn't introduce it during training or immediately afterwards. Its just one more thing to distract you while you are learning all these new patterns and habits. Plus, even without the audio and video you will never forget the solo day :)

I recommend against.

If you really, really, really want to do this with minimal distraction buy a audio adapter cable to plug into a intercom location and then into your iPhone or Android (maybe $20 or less, order it now). Buy a RAM suction cup mount and a clip that will hold your cell phone (clip squeezes around it). Suction it to the windshield. Plug the cable into your phone. Start your phone's video. You are most likely very familiar with your phone's video so the least new **** to learn. It will probably be darn closed to a go pro setup and you'll probably spend about $50 total. You can point the camera (phone) outside or looking at you.

But I still recommend against.

Hi Peter.
As others have mentioned, do Not allow yourself to be distracted, when you get something like this is best to get something that you can set and forget, until the end of the trip.
The people that I fly with I set something like in the picture I attached, easy to construct, or you can get a GoPro Clamp, but it may be too stiff for some Instrument panels soft materials, and not have to remove until the end of the flight. I attache some extra batteries on the clamp in case the flight is over 1.5hrs.
GoPro 5 and above have GPS built in and you can view the flight after landing on GEarth.
If you have a GP4, no GPS, you can use some apps, like Avare, and Track your flight, on your Android Tablet / Phone, it creates a .kml file.

Attachments

• GP5ClmpAcftS.jpg
    GP5ClmpAcftS.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 13
I have to LOL - a bunch of us, myself included, are saying:

"Don't do it...but here's how...but don't do it"

I'm revising my recommendation to just: "Don't do it."

But if you want to, read my early post :)

Ask yourself what the NTSB report will look like.

Probable Cause: Pilot failed to maintain control of aircraft while futzing with audio and video equipment in the airplane.

He also gave me a six page pre-solo knowledge exam.
Like Ed, I'm thinking... Holy Crap that is some overkill

Mine was 2.5 pages, but if you removed all the blank space left for answering, the questions would fit on a single sheet. 12 maybe 15 questions....

Agreed with Asicer... just take the microphone portion of your wired headset and stick it in an ear cup, then press record on your phone.

In terms of the Solo itself...you’ll want to record what happens AFTER you land. While taxiing and flying, you’ll hear all the same things you heard during training:

You: “Bugsmasher holding short of runway XX”
Tower: “Bugsmasher cleared for takeoff”
You: “Bugsmasher downwind”
Tower: “Bugsmasher, #2 behind a Cirrus pulling his chute. Cleared to land.”

Probably the only thing you might hear differently is:

Tower: “Bugsmasher - good landing”
Tower: “Bugsmasher, your CFI says this is the last one.”

Thus, I agree with the others: Forget the recording and just focus on the solo as you’ll be focusing on why the airplane performs so well without another person on board... then focusing on everything you’ve been taught.

I agree, don't do anything that gets you distracted. If you are thinking of having this as a momento or scrap book item, your cut shirt tail is a much better thing for that.

------------------------------------

And when you solo, try not to be Super Dave

A story stolen from the Red Board (posted by bluefishbeagle).

Picture this:

I was once working with a student I'll call "Super Dave"

The first time I flew with Super Dave he was wearing an insulated Air Force flight suit carrying an Air Force pilots helmet with flip down visor. He was very disappointed to learn my plane did not have Air Force style plugs for the mike. He insisted on wearing the flight suit however and did for every lesson.

Super Dave was fearless
Super Dave was implusive
Super Dave was over confident
Super Dave was always seeking approval
Super Dave was invincible
Super Dave drove me nuts.

To be fair Super Dave was a good stick but a stick without a lick of common sense.

He could have soloed in 5 hours but I held him back till he had 12 and we had covered every pre solo manuver three times over.

Finally it was time for Super Dave to solo. I feared the day but it had arrived. Super Dave arrived at the airport early (flight suit and all) and did a preflight while I was in the hanger praying.

Super Dave was instructed to make three "Stop and go landing PLUS I instructed him to taxi back to the end and use full length each time.

What could go wrong I reasoned as I signed his student Lic and logbook. He had been making perfect patterns and landings for the last 7 hours.

Super Dave lined up and off he went, the rotation was textbook. But that's where all things normal stopped.

Super Dave was all over the sky. Banking crazily, pitching like a seal with a great white on it's tail. I could not talk to Super Dave this was before hand helds and the small country airport did not have a working unicom.

The downwind was wild as well as his final approach. He rolled and pitched I envisioned my trusty C150 in a pile of smoking rubble with me explaing to the FAA why I let this wild man solo.

It was time to flare or crash, just as suddenly as he lost control he regained it, the plane leveled off just in time an made a perfect touchdown. I ran out to the runway to flag him in as he taxied back. But Super Dave did not taxi back he did a touch and go.

Again a perfect takeoff, then the previous nightmare started all over again. I could not imagine what was happening. Again just before the second landing he seemed to regain control and make a perfect landing.

Again Super Dave did not stop he did a touch and go. The wild gyrations continued during the third circut and again just before he crashed, the plane smoothed out and he made his third perfect touch down. Finally I thought "It's over" That is until Super Dave was off again. Super Dave could not count. His fourth time around the patterned was no better but true to form he regained control and made a perfect fouth landing.

Finally Super Dave taxied back to the ramp, exited the aircraft with sweating running from every pore in his body, his insulated flight suit drenched, but not out of fear it was July with 90 per cent humidity.

Super Dave's first words upon exiting the plane was. "how'd I do, how'd I do, it was good wasn't it".

I drew a deep breath and said "the takeoff and landing were perfect but what in the "blazes" (cleaned up to meet forum rules) were you doing the rest of the time."

"Oh," he said, "I was taking pictures" as he pulled a camera out of one of the many pockets in his flight suit.

I made myself wait on go pro's and audio until I was about 35hrs past my PPL check ride. I am glad I didn't introduce it during training or immediately afterwards. Its just one more thing to distract you while you are learning all these new patterns and habits. Plus, even without the audio and video you will never forget the solo day :)

I recommend against.

If you really, really, really want to do this with minimal distraction buy a audio adapter cable to plug into a intercom location and then into your iPhone or Android (maybe $20 or less, order it now). Buy a RAM suction cup mount and a clip that will hold your cell phone (clip squeezes around it). Suction it to the windshield. Plug the cable into your phone. Start your phone's video. You are most likely very familiar with your phone's video so the least new **** to learn. It will probably be darn closed to a go pro setup and you'll probably spend about $50 total. You can point the camera (phone) outside or looking at you.

But I still recommend against.

I don't really agree with "don't record any of your training flights". I just said don't do it NOW with only 2 weeks left before his solo. if you don't have a go pro and have no idea how to record audio, I just don't think it's enough time to figure all that out, and will be a big distraction to his solo. but man, I recorded just about every training flight I ever took. it took me 2 seconds to suction cup the camera to the window then another 2 to work the mic.

Mine was 2.5 pages, but if you removed all the blank space left for answering, the questions would fit on a single sheet. 12 maybe 15 questions....

I shoot for around 20 questions. This was my last one I handed out.
1. What documents need to be in the airplane to be legal?
2. What documents does a student pilot need to carry while flying to be legal?
3. What airspace(s) overlie [airport name] Airport?
4. What are the cloud clearance and visibility requirements in that airspace(s)?
5. Under what conditions can a student pilot fly at night?
6. Under what conditions can a student pilot fly above clouds?
7. Under what conditions can a student pilot carry passengers?
8. What are Vx, Vy, Va, Vno, Vfe, and Vs0?
9. What are these numbers for your aircraft?
10. Do these numbers stay the same?
11. What is the significance of 1.3 * Vs0?
12. How does density altitude affect aircraft performance?
13. What are the two main types of drag and how are they generated?
14. Why is right rudder needed on takeoff?
15. What are the repercussions of not adding enough right rudder?
16. What is maximum demonstrated crosswind component of your aircraft?
17. Is that a limitation?
18. What aerobatics are allowed in your aircraft?
19. If so, under what conditions are they allowed?
20. Who will make you “Jump, Jump” ?

1st solo, don't do it (as others have said). Can be useful in later solos with gopro behind head to QA your radio calls and landings

My pre solo exams are around 50 questions.

And yet the PP test is only 60. Overkill.

And yet the PP test is only 60. Overkill.

Not when it is your signature. And being a lot of students these days don’t even want to open a book and study. The level of laziness with students is astounding. They want an easy ticket. I have been hearing this from CFIs all over the country.

Not when it is your signature. And being a lot of students these days don’t even want to open a book and study. The level of laziness with students is astounding. They want an easy ticket. I have been hearing this from CFIs all over the country.

Yeah, none of my questions are multiple choice, so they have to study. I don't expect my pre-solo student to know 83% of what the private pilot is required to know.

Yeah, none of my questions are multiple choice, so they have to study. I don't expect my pre-solo student to know 83% of what the private pilot is required to know.

Once you factor in FARs, airplane systems, airport information, V speeds, local geography, noise abatement for airport, radio communications. It all adds up pretty quick to 50.

Plus they have to know how to get in and out of the class C airspace just next door.

Once you factor in FARs, airplane systems, airport information, V speeds, local geography, noise abatement for airport, radio communications. It all adds up pretty quick to 50.
Plus they have to know how to get in and out of the class C airspace just next door.

(b) Aeronautical knowledge. A student pilot must demonstrate satisfactory aeronautical knowledge on a knowledge test that meets the requirements of this paragraph:

(1) The test must address the student pilot's knowledge of—

(i) Applicable sections of parts 61 and 91 of this chapter;
(ii) Airspace rules and procedures for the airport where the solo flight will be performed; and
(iii) Flight characteristics and operational limitations for the make and model of aircraft to be flown.

That's as far as I take it. It doesn't say all or every detail. I just want to know they have a general idea they aren't going to F up. I don't need them to explain the inner workings of a carburetor, memorize all four corners of the WB, or what sort of specification of brake fluid is required.

Well just like I teach well beyond the ACS, I have higher expectations. To each thier own.

I shoot for around 20 questions. This was my last one I handed out.
1. What documents need to be in the airplane to be legal?
2. What documents does a student pilot need to carry while flying to be legal?
3. What airspace(s) overlie [airport name] Airport?
4. What are the cloud clearance and visibility requirements in that airspace(s)?
5. Under what conditions can a student pilot fly at night?
6. Under what conditions can a student pilot fly above clouds?
7. Under what conditions can a student pilot carry passengers?
8. What are Vx, Vy, Va, Vno, Vfe, and Vs0?
9. What are these numbers for your aircraft?
10. Do these numbers stay the same?
11. What is the significance of 1.3 * Vs0?
12. How does density altitude affect aircraft performance?
13. What are the two main types of drag and how are they generated?
14. Why is right rudder needed on takeoff?
15. What are the repercussions of not adding enough right rudder?
16. What is maximum demonstrated crosswind component of your aircraft?
17. Is that a limitation?
18. What aerobatics are allowed in your aircraft?
19. If so, under what conditions are they allowed?
20. Who will make you “Jump, Jump” ?

David Lee Roth. I mean, might as well...….

Well just like I teach well beyond the ACS, I have higher expectations. To each thier own.

As do I. I just don't think the pre-solo is a mid term exam. They are about 1/4 to 1/5th of their way through training, not 85% of the way through. They also don't a private checkride sign off unless their tolerances are commercial grade or better.

David Lee Roth. I mean, might as well...….

I'm sorry the correct answer is Kriss Kross.

As do I. I just don't think the pre-solo is a mid term exam. They are about 1/4 to 1/5th of their way through training, not 85% of the way through.

I'm sorry the correct answer is Kriss Kross.

dang that was my 2nd answer.

dang that was my 2nd answer.

The funniest part was the answer from my student. Was so focused on it being aviation related and gave an answer about jumpmasters, operators, the pilot. I said you realize it was in quotes right? His wife got the correct answer though, and then she laughed at him.

I always throw 1 question in that's completely irrelevant. They ask why, I say "because flying is supposed to be fun, relax"

I say "because flying is supposed to be fun, relax"

This is true, but when students come in and first they say is they just want to get to the airlines quickest way possible. That sets a baseline for the instruction.

I agree, don't do anything that gets you distracted. If you are thinking of having this as a momento or scrap book item, your cut shirt tail is a much better thing for that.

------------------------------------

And when you solo, try not to be Super Dave

A story stolen from the Red Board (posted by bluefishbeagle).

Picture this:

I was once working with a student I'll call "Super Dave"

The first time I flew with Super Dave he was wearing an insulated Air Force flight suit carrying an Air Force pilots helmet with flip down visor. He was very disappointed to learn my plane did not have Air Force style plugs for the mike. He insisted on wearing the flight suit however and did for every lesson......

I'm still crying from laughing so damn hard after reading this... Hilarious.

This is true, but when students come in and first they say is they just want to get to the airlines quickest way possible. That sets a baseline for the instruction.
As a freelance instructor who does this on the side only to get people in the air I decline those sort of students.

Thank you.
I use a SONY digital recorder with an adapter that plugs into the other headset jack. Works great.

I disagree with the Chicken Little type warnings against it. They are right that you want to avoid distractions, so there are two important things to consider. One is, you want a set it and forget it arrangement. You don't even want to think about whether it's working or not.

The other is whether you will be distracted by merely knowing it is there. Most folks I come across are not. If anything, knowing you are going to see yourself later means you are going to critique yourself, which inn turn can lead to better procedures. But that not true for everyone, so you need to understand what makes you tick.

Not that I know much about flying yet (as I just SOLO'ed a week ago) but I used a GoPro with the audio cable on my BIG day and it caused no distraction at all. I stuck it to the canopy while my CFI was checking all my required documents, hit the red button on my phone app, put my phone away, and flew my three T/Os and landings. After I shut down I pulled my phone back out and hit stop. No big deal. I've since cut the first total pattern out of the video (7.5 minutes) and sent it to anyone in my family that cares to watch me fly around in a DA 20 and talk to ground and tower. It's a pretty good video for my review and I think it's a great way to remember the biggest day of my aviation adventure so far. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies.

I have decided that I will just keep it simple and just take my GoPro with suction cup and place it out of the way. I am not going to audio record. I do not want any distractions. I believe having a GoPro out of the way will accomplish this.

Once it is placed, out of sight out of mind. I will be focused on the numbers and pattern.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank you for all the replies.

I have decided that I will just keep it simple and just take my GoPro with suction cup and place it out of the way. I am not going to audio record. I do not want any distractions. I believe having a GoPro out of the way will accomplish this.

Once it is placed, out of sight out of mind. I will be focused on the numbers and pattern.

Thanks again everyone.

wait a second, I thought you didn't have a gopro? so if you have a gopro AND a suction mount, then without further delay, hop on amazon and get one of these:

thing-a-ma-jiggy

just make sure it's the right size jack for your gopro. if it is, then u just plug it in and stuff the mic into your headset and boom, perfect audio! I thought you didn't have anything at all, that's why I said 'at this point' don't do it.

First off what does your CFI think about this?
I’m pretty liberal with my students, but I have a personal policy against recording while solo, for one you know you’re recording, for two it’s a distraction.

I have the first generation GoPro Hero HD 1. It is the oldest one, so it does not have a mic outlet which began in the Hero HD 2. The microphone link you sent me is a great idea, but I do not know if it will work on the model I own. I do not want to buy a new camera and microphone just for this. However, If the microphone would work on this model I would purchase it.

First off what does your CFI think about this?
I’m pretty liberal with my students, but I have a personal policy against recording while solo, for one you know you’re recording, for two it’s a distraction.

I have not asked my CFI. I have watched many YouTube videos where the student recorded the solo. I assumed this practice would have been ok, but you are right, I need to ask him first. I am going to text him today to get his permission. That is the right thing to do.

Here is my “control panel” of my GoPro. Looks like no mic option.

Oh, and this is my wife’s hand; my nails aren’t that long and my hands aren’t that soft.

Attachments

• A674AF23-0AA3-4131-8252-FDB9B89DF4F3.jpeg
    A674AF23-0AA3-4131-8252-FDB9B89DF4F3.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 10
Back