Really cool iPad trick for pilots.

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
iOS 9 gave us pilots something that we haven't discussed much, but can have some big uses while aviating. The "Slide Over Multi-tasking" feature.

You access this by swiping from the right edge of your iPad to the left. At the very top of the pane that reveals itself is a small black line. Swipe that down to see the apps that take advantage of this feature, including Notes, Clock, contacts, Photos, and more.

This could be the perfect spot to use the Notes app to have your checklists. Create folders for the different aircraft and then separate notes for the different "phases" of flight you want a list for. Now no more fumbling for the list that's worked its way under the seat or the bottom of the storage pouch by your ankle.

Photos are a great spot to keep screenshots of weather briefing items that you want in flight, but can only access when you have a web connection. Just grab the image with the Home and Power button press and you now have that image saved in the Photos app. (This could also be a fast way to bring up a critical chart or plate)

We have groused that many of the EFBs don't have a simple means to time approaches or holds. So, as we discussed in a recent thread, we have a varied assortment of kitchen timers on our boards or panel. With Swipe Mult-Task, we now can quickly get to Clock and the stopwatch function.

If you think of additional uses, please add to the thread. If you find this idea useful, buy me a beverage at the next fly-in or send me an aviation t-shirt or hat from a place local to you.

I'm confused. This is new?

We've had this "revolutionary feature" on our Android tablets since 2012.

Jay, it is new to iPads.... And we are thoroughly aware of your love affair with android. Your derailing this thread with Apple bashing isn't appreciated. Thumper's Mom's advice applies to you too, ya know.

I'm confused. This is new?

We've had this "revolutionary feature" on our Android tablets since 2012.

Jay,

It's said confusion is common amongst Android pilots... Now we have your confirmation of same!

:lol:

Feature sets vary and leapfrog each other... Not unexpectedly.

Paul

Jay, it is new to iPads.... And we are thoroughly aware of your love affair with android. Your derailing this thread with Apple bashing isn't appreciated. Thumper's Mom's advice applies to you too, ya know.
Sorry, I was actually shocked.

I will back out of this thread now, humbly.

That's an interesting tip and I tried it out. Maybe.

Though, to be honest, I find it easier to time holds with the clock required to be in the airplane by 91.205. No app switching needed, and I can keep the plate up.

Real holds have an EFC time to meet, so a real clock is useful.

No app switching is part of my point/tip. You can still have the plat visible, and slide out the multi task bar to see the timer.

If flying IFR your timer has to be installed. An iPad is not an installation.

This concept was never intended to take the place of the panel mounted clock.

From a non-IR pilot, Are you required to use the installed clock during IFR ops? Or just have one installed? IOW, could you use any other available clock in your cockpit that may be more user friendly vs. the 50 year old wind up thats permanently installed?

If no, is this also true for any other instruments? IOW, If I'm an IR pilot, flying IFR, do I have to use my steam gauges or can I use FF synthetic vision, etc.. as long as I have all the required IFR certified instruments available to me to also use?

You can use any clock you want, not just the required panel mount clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a non-IR pilot, Are you required to use the installed clock during IFR ops? Or just have one installed? IOW, could you use any other available clock in your cockpit that may be more user friendly vs. the 50 year old wind up thats permanently installed?

If no, is this also true for any other instruments? IOW, If I'm an IR pilot, flying IFR, do I have to use my steam gauges or can I use FF synthetic vision, etc.. as long as I have all the required IFR certified instruments available to me to also use?

I have this one

sc-5.jpg

installed in my panel. I guarantee I can get the timer ready on this quicker than anyone else can on a tablet. And it doesn't require me to look down, or take away from my scan like doing it on an iPad does because it's already part of my scan. Also - it's cheaper than an iPad.

Looking down increases the chances of spatial disorientation. I have to figure anyone suggesting we keep moving our head from the scan to a down position for more things is an idiot. Then again I have my panel set up so I don't ever have to look down.

Last edited:
I have to figure anyone suggesting we keep moving our head from the scan to a down position for more things is an idiot.

That may be a little harsh, believe it or not the yoke/leg aren't the only two places to mount an ipad. I'm sure plenty of users can share pictures with some nice panel-mount ipads.

That may be a little harsh, believe it or not the yoke/leg aren't the only two places to mount an ipad. I'm sure plenty of users can share pictures with some nice panel-mount ipads.

I don't recall seeing any certified aircraft with tablets in the panels, but I also haven't seen panel pics of all 200,000 registered aircraft in the country either. :D

I would say in the certified world there is less than 0.1% that have an iPad (dock) in the panel that's not covering up any instruments.

Looks like I'm another victim of derailment and good idea squashing

[picks up marbles and moves on]

I'm actually wondering why you want your head down even more? I don't think having your head down more is a good idea.

If you can tell me why it's a good idea to keep looking down and "de-scanning" I'm all ears.

I don't recall seeing any certified aircraft with tablets in the panels, but I also haven't seen panel pics of all 200,000 registered aircraft in the country either. :D

I would say in the certified world there is less than 0.1% that have an iPad (dock) in the panel that's not covering up any instruments.

Here's your .1%
http://fullcircleaviation.com/?page_id=17

Sorry AggieMike, Thought I had a legitimate IR question too, but didn't get answered either.

I have this one

sc-5.jpg

installed in my panel. I guarantee I can get the timer ready on this quicker than anyone else can on a tablet. And it doesn't require me to look down, or take away from my scan like doing it on an iPad does because it's already part of my scan. Also - it's cheaper than an iPad.

Looking down increases the chances of spatial disorientation. I have to figure anyone suggesting we keep moving our head from the scan to a down position for more things is an idiot. Then again I have my panel set up so I don't ever have to look down.

I always liked that timer.

It's simple to do when you update the panel to modern spec. Modern instruments take up way less space, and deliver way more information.

It's kinda funny Mike, I find that bar one of the most annoying things about 9 because I constantly accidentally activate it when typing and hitting back space or return.

You want that in your scan?

Yikes.

Unless you're flying from the right seat, I'd rather have it on the yoke….

With the G-500 and 430w, I pretty much left the iPad on the right seat and just used it to look stuff up that would be too much hassle on the panel. What putting it on the right does is gives the right seat an erzatz pilots panel if you want to hand it to them for a while.

You have to have a timer installed, yes, but that doesn't have to be the one you use. I've seen zillions of IFR planes with timers mounted on the yoke. There's one in the panel too.

I used a wrist watch for timing holds. That watch vibrates, which is the best way to notify the pilot in a noisy plane - the panel mounted one doesn't even make a sound.

Last edited:
You have to have a timer installed, yes, but that doesn't have to be the one you use. I've seen zillions of IFR planes with timers mounted on the yoke. There's one in the panel too.

I used a wrist watch for timing holds. That watch vibrates, which is the best way to notify the pilot in a noisy plane - the panel mounted one doesn't even make a sound.

Which watch vibrates for the timer? I'm curious. If I could find that feature along with the thing setting itself from WWV, I'd be a happy camper. Don't even care if it's ugly.

AggieMike,
Don't let the negativity get you down. Keep posting when you think you have a useful idea.

Do people actually still time approaches?

VOR approaches without a DME(or int)MAP, how else would you fly it? I have a VOR approach I fly into my home field. Timer gets used. Also, 1 minute holds, how do you time one minute?

Yes, 2.1 amps each.

I've used a sportys timer. I've used my iphone. Batteries go dead, screen goes into sleep, blah blah blah etc... Not a good thing for IFR.

Nothing beats a permanent display in the panel.

My iPad is too old for the split screen. Newer models can do it, but not mine.

So I think your ideas are fine, but only the hyper trendy can use them.

I installed a 4-port USB hub wired to ship's power under my center stack. Cost me like $30 total.

VOR approaches without a DME(or int)MAP, how else would you fly it? I have a VOR approach I fly into my home field. Timer gets used. Also, 1 minute holds, how do you time one minute?

I guess there are still some around where it's required. My point is just that it seems pretty obsolete seeing as though most everything is GPS based these days.

Back