Really cool iPad trick for pilots.

That's an interesting tip and I tried it out. Maybe.

Though, to be honest, I find it easier to time holds with the clock required to be in the airplane by 91.205. No app switching needed, and I can keep the plate up.

Real holds have an EFC time to meet, so a real clock is useful.

Does 91.205 actually require the clock to be mounted in to the airplane? Why wouldn't a wrist watch satisfy this requirement?

It doesn't say anything about mounting, but a wristwatch isn't attached to the airplane so that technically wouldn't count. You could use it though.

I'm guessing that the "permanent panel mounted" is understood but I'm curious if there's something specific elsewhere in the FARs that covers this.

Installed means installed - not mounted with a chip clip, duct tape, suction cups, velcro, etc...

§23.1301 Function and installation.

Each item of installed equipment must—
(a) Be of a kind and design appropriate to its intended function.
(b) Be labeled as to its identification, function, or operating limitations, or any applicable combination of these factors; and
(c) Be installed according to limitations specified for that equipment.

If there aren't limitations to the installation, by definition, can't be installed. As your stopwatch with velcro on the back doesn't have limitations or specifications for installation, it is not installed equipment.

Last edited:
Installed means installed - not mounted with a chip clip, duct tape, suction cups, velcro, etc...

§23.1301 Function and installation.

Each item of installed equipment must—
(a) Be of a kind and design appropriate to its intended function.
(b) Be labeled as to its identification, function, or operating limitations, or any applicable combination of these factors; and
(c) Be installed according to limitations specified for that equipment.

If there aren't limitations to the installation, by definition, can't be installed. As your stopwatch with velcro on the back doesn't have limitations or specifications for installation, it is not installed equipment.

I don't see the word "installed" used with reference to the clock in 91.205.

It's really not a good idea to split hairs here. It's obviously the intent.

Yes, I've had to scrub IFR flights because the installed clock was inop.

And I always wear a wristwatch that conforms to 91.205, except it isn't installed equipment.

Maybe you want to look in a few other sections besides part 91.

As the term appliance is used elsewhere in 14CFR

Appliance means any instrument, mechanism, equipment, part, apparatus, appurtenance, or accessory, including communications equipment, that is used or intended to be used in operating or controlling an aircraft in flight, is installed in or attached to the aircraft, and is not part of an airframe, engine, or propeller.

Also - attached does not mean velcroed.

Back