[rant]Cyclist's dilemma[rant]

This thread is just getting creepier....:redface:

Where the hell are the mods when you need them ??:dunno:

YOU maybe, not 'we'! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4d67676f2478e5cdb64b3008e06f51da.jpg

I could take you up on that, you really want me to go there?

I don't really care, whatever you're referring to. Free country right? :)

Yep.

It was about 35 degrees when I went on that ride. I'm good in shorts and a jersey down to about 60 degrees. Between 50 and 60 I go with long pants and a poly thermal long sleeve undershirt under the jersey. 40 to 50 I'll add shoe booties and a thicker shirt. Below that I'll add a windbreaker and beanie cap.

It seems like it's harder and harder to handle the cold. I'm wiped after 30 miles, when in the Summer I'd feel the same after 70.

That's pretty much the same around here, I'm good to about 30, below that it takes too much clothes. I also use the disposable hand and toe warmers, I can go forever if I have those, if my toes get too cold forget it.

Did the trainer last night and this morning, intervals, pyramids and all out bursts. Didn't throw up though.

That's pretty much the same around here, I'm good to about 30, below that it takes too much clothes. I also use the disposable hand and toe warmers, I can go forever if I have those, if my toes get too cold forget it.

Did the trainer last night and this morning, intervals, pyramids and all out bursts. Didn't throw up though.

Just like any other aerobic activity in the cold, dressing is always a challenge. Put too much stuff on, and you sweat too much and it freezes, and then you have a worse problem than you started with. I dress so I'm a little uncomfortable for the first 10-15 miles, but able to warm up from the activity.

The line I like to use with my son-in-law (who's a triathlete) is that he dresses like a colorblind superhero.

safe_image.php

The line I like to use with my son-in-law (who's a triathlete) is that he dresses like a colorblind superhero.

Here is a classic rant, I saw this before in a bike forum, made me laugh.

"These morons who want to put on a clown suit and ride a bicycle uphill, and delay those folks driving automobiles, and then scream and cry they have the same rights to be on the road, have evidently spent all their money on clown suits and can't afford a tire repair kit because their little bikes get flats driving on the new road surface. Boo hoo."

It goes on....

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2008/9/26/135904/Moronic-Bicyclists-In-Clown-Suits--.aspx

OK, I understand the benefits of spandex biking shorts. Jerseys too. Back in the day, I considered myself quite the bike racer. I even had a sponsor. I used to do the big week long rides like RAGBRAI and all, so I know about biking. And I've worn my share of spandex. But beyond the biking community, bicyclist dressed in their spandex look like dorks, even if there are benefits to wearing spandex shorts with a pad sewn in them. While die hard bikers are sometimes made to feel self conscious, which makes them angry, wanting people to accept your dorkiness and not make fun of it, just isn't going to make them think that you aren't dorky. So you either live with it, or quit looking dorky. As I'm old now, and I look dorkier than most in spandex, I have taken to wearing cargo shorts over the top of my biking shorts. It works, and I'm not embarrassed in public. Yes, I don't look like I'm training for the Tour, but that's OK.

By the way, I don't think you look that dorky in what you were wearing in the picture. So take it for what it is worth.

Last edited:
I propose best solution:
- wear padded spandex when riding, but
- don't go parading around restaurants, shops, etc while spandexed up. Who needs to?

Personally when I'm out for a ride I'm sweaty, stinky, and don't need to go parading around displaying my dorkiness.
Besides, it's such a hassle to put on the cleat covers and still walk like a spastic ballerina in riding shoes.

I propose best solution:
- wear padded spandex when riding, but
- don't go parading around restaurants, shops, etc while spandexed up. Who needs to?

Personally when I'm out for a ride I'm sweaty, stinky, and don't need to go parading around displaying my dorkiness.
Besides, it's such a hassle to put on the cleat covers and still walk like a spastic ballerina in riding shoes.

Generally agreed, but come on, a man's gotta eat, right? The burger is part of the pain/reward system. It is a large part of my motivation to go on a long ride.

Generally agreed, but come on, a man's gotta eat, right? The burger is part of the pain/reward system. It is a large part of my motivation to go on a long ride.
Maybe you can find a place frequented by lots of other bicyclers. My wife and I ride a trail that has a couple of places along the way that cater to bicyclers. Always a lot of spandex profiling going on. You won't look so out of place.:dunno:

Maybe you can find a place frequented by lots of other bicyclers. My wife and I ride a trail that has a couple of places along the way that cater to bicyclers. Always a lot of spandex profiling going on. You won't look so out of place.:dunno:

Why are you looking at guys in Spandex?

......ride, ride home, SHOWER, dress for public consumption, walk/drive/motorbike/or even cruiser-bicycle to restaurant of choice.
I can't fathom a heavy meal then back to spinning.

I'm impressed that this dong thread has gone three pages and 6PC hasn't stopped by yet. :D

....but ain't that the great thing about real aerobics?.....the ability to eat whatever one wants without fear of looking like a middle-aged Amurrikun.

I'm with you there! :yes:

.....is the new 20 million dollar bike path they just absolutely HAD to have...:mad::mad:

More proof that no one really cares about the environment. Around here they waste money and resources painting lines on them twice a year.
I think they even run those big diesel mowers with snowblower attachments and clear them of snow on the ones that are in the parks. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a guy applying salt or de-icing/anti icing to them.

Riding shorts have proper anti-chaff pad in proper place. Not so much spandex as it is the pad.

Ding. It's the chamois.

I don't have that issue because I have a "mountain" setup with baggy shorts over the riding shorts. Anyone who wears road clothes on a mountain bike should be shot on site.

Agreed....

99% of the cyclists here are rich, arrogant and look like a moving billboard with all the graphics on their outfits...

And they ride two abreast and get ****ed when you try and pass them..:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Oh yeah,,, and just 10 feet away is the new 20 million dollar bike path they just absolutely HAD to have...:mad::mad:

Friggin idiots...
No....bike paths are for Mom/Dad and the kids on their cruiser bikes. They are not designed for those of us out actually trying to get somewhere, or more importantly getting real aerobic exercise. No one in their right mind would try to maintain a pace of 15-20mph on a bike path, let alone ride with others at same pace. Check your local or state ordinances - bicycles share the RIGHT-OF-WAY on public roads with other traffic. We all just need to adjust and try to get along. Can't say who's a "friggin' idiot".

Ding. It's the chamois.

I don't have that issue because I have a "mountain" setup with baggy shorts over the riding shorts. Anyone who wears road clothes on a mountain bike should be shot on site.

I do that for my mountain bike riding as well. The chamois makes all the difference.

But you never look at them. Interesting. Why do you avoid looking at them?

So in your world you have to look at guys in spandex, is that a gay thing?

I suppose I look at them but I really don't give it a second thought. In fact when on a group ride I suppose everyone wears spandex but I don't notice, there are probably some that don't. I don't care.

So in your world you have to look at guys in spandex, is that a gay thing?
Just because you are looking at someone doesn't mean you are looking at them in that way. Or maybe some can't look at people any other way...

I do that for my mountain bike riding as well. The chamois makes all the difference.

Yep. I probably spend less time in the saddle than a roadie but there are plenty of times I'm sitting down too.

Gratuitous pic of my MTBs to offset the roadie gayness in here:D

49dbca12-b2d3-4349-8b37-c0c76c7f6c42-L.jpg

No....bike paths are for Mom/Dad and the kids on their cruiser bikes. They are not designed for those of us out actually trying to get somewhere, or more importantly getting real aerobic exercise. No one in their right mind would try to maintain a pace of 15-20mph on a bike path, let alone ride with others at same pace. Check your local or state ordinances - bicycles share the RIGHT-OF-WAY on public roads with other traffic. We all just need to adjust and try to get along. Can't say who's a "friggin' idiot".

There are times where I will be on the road instead of on the parallel path. And it's for these reasons. One of those paths twists just enough through some trees that I can't see what I'm coming up on from behind or head on. It's overall safer for me to ride on the road. And trust me, the road sucks compared to the path so I'm not doing my comfort any favors by choosing the road.

Just because you are looking at someone doesn't mean you are looking at them in that way. Or maybe some can't look at people any other way...

I see people dressed differently from me every day, I couldn't care less, there seems to be a fixation on guys in spandex, then Max assumed I don't look at guys in spandex, so I answered him and asked him why the focus on it. It certainly does nothing for me, but to each his own.

There are times where I will be on the road instead of on the parallel path. And it's for these reasons. One of those paths twists just enough through some trees that I can't see what I'm coming up on from behind or head on. It's overall safer for me to ride on the road. And trust me, the road sucks compared to the path so I'm not doing my comfort any favors by choosing the road.

If you are going over 10 mph you really shouldn't be on a bike path or a multi use path. I would ride with my kids on the bike path and I would be amazed at the warriors who would blast down the path sending people scattering out of their way.

It's OK, I can see where Paul is going with this. He's just being Paul. It makes him feel good about himself. I'm pretty secure with my manlihood. And unlike Paul, I'm quite sure that I'm not going to raise any flags in my spandex if I look at another man. :D

It's OK, I can see where Paul is going with this. He's just being Paul. It makes him feel good about himself. I'm pretty secure with my manlihood. And unlike Paul, I'm quite sure that I'm not going to raise any flags in my spandex if I look at another man. :D

OK max you and I could do this all day, just messing with you, no need to get your chamois in a bunch. Peace.

Highways /paved roads for motor driven vehicles are PAID for by license tags and fuel taxes.... You want to ride on them:dunno:.... then BUY a tag and pay your fair share.. Until then,, you guys are just frigging freeloaders.... Some of the road bikes I see are thousands of dollars... Cough up 100 bucks a year, you cheapskates....:yes:

They have the right of way, just like pedestrians do. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't hog the road like a-holes. Scream "right of way!" all you want but when you're a smear on the asphalt, it doesn't matter.

Some roads are built with really wide shoulders that are great for cyclists. Others not as much.

I've thought about trying road biking but the idea of getting hit by a car does not appeal to me.

They have the right of way, just like pedestrians do. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't hog the road like a-holes. Scream "right of way!" all you want but when you're a smear on the asphalt, it doesn't matter.

Some roads are built with really wide shoulders that are great for cyclists. Others not as much.

I've thought about trying road biking but the idea of getting hit by a car does not appeal to me.

Agreed - as I said cooperate, compromise, and get along. Share the road.
I also don't care for the off-roaders who scatter me, my wife, and dogs while hiking the National Forest Trails. Don't see me painting y'all as a-holes with a wide brush

Highways /paved roads for motor driven vehicles are PAID for by license tags and fuel taxes.... You want to ride on them:dunno:.... then BUY a tag and pay your fair share.. Until then,, you guys are just frigging freeloaders.... Some of the road bikes I see are thousands of dollars... Cough up 100 bucks a year, you cheapskates....:yes:

I paid for my license and tags, on my car so even by your logic I have as much right to the road as you do. And regardless, in Missouri, it's written in law that a cyclist has just as much of a right to the traffic lane as vehicles do. In addition, more and more road maintenance and construction is being paid for out of general funds since there is so much resistance to raising the gas tax.

That being said, I make it a point to be as considerate of the fact that I'm on a bike as I can be. I make sure I give as much space as possible so vehicles can pass (though I don't ride on the shoulder as much since I recently wrecked because the shoulder was so poorly maintained). If I'm riding in a time of higher traffic I make sure I have lights on so I can be seen and I follow the stop signs and stop lights and I even signal my turns. If it's a time of lighter traffic then yes, I will bend rules and roll through a stop sign, but only if I have good visibility of the intersection well before I get there (and besides, nobody in St. Louis really comes to a complete stop at a stop sign).

There are stupid cyclists out there who act like idiots around traffic. There are stupid motorists out there who act like idiots around cyclists. The majority of cyclists though realize that we are vastly outweighed by the vehicles around us and are very, very aware of the dangers. All we ask is you make an attempt to not get us killed when we exercise the legal right we have to be on the road with you.

Back