[rant]Cyclist's dilemma[rant]

Interesting.......
A well spun article....

They forget to mention the difference between license and fuel tax funding is mostly spend on Interstate highways.... Care to explain why bicycles are banned on those ??? After all,, they have wider shoulders you can ride on then 99% of the other roads.. Making it safer for all or us..

The ironic thing is the local 20 million dollar bike path system is funded by fuel tax... And for 7-8 months out of the year it is snow covered so bikes cannot use it.. BUT it can be utilized by snowmobiles to get to town and run errands.....

BUT.. The arrogant bike crowd around here has had signs posted every 1/2 miles on the snowed over bikes paths saying " NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES ALLOWED"...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interesting.......
A well spun article....

They forget to mention the difference between license and fuel tax funding is mostly spend on Interstate highways.... Care to explain why bicycles are banned on those ??? After all,, they have wider shoulders you can ride on then 99% of the other roads.. Making it safer for all or us..

The ironic thing is the local 20 million dollar bike path system is funded by fuel tax... And for 7-8 months out of the year it is snow covered so bikes cannot use it.. BUT it can be utilized by snowmobiles to get to town and run errands.....

BUT.. The arrogant bike crowd around here has had signs posted every 1/2 miles on the snowed over bikes paths saying " NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES ALLOWED"...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's the granola crunchers Ben, you should buy a bike and ride it, it'll make you feel better.

That's the granola crunchers Ben, you should buy a bike and ride it, it'll make you feel better.

Ha.....

I was hit from behind 47 years ago while riding my Schwinn Varsity 10 speed on Rickenbacker Causeway when riding 5 feet off the road on the shoulder... Car was going 62 MPH.. Never hit their brakes,, Didn't even stop, just kept going... I was Critically injured.....:redface::redface:...

Cars /trucks and bikes DO not mix well..... BTDT....

If you are going over 10 mph you really shouldn't be on a bike path or a multi use path. I would ride with my kids on the bike path and I would be amazed at the warriors who would blast down the path sending people scattering out of their way.

Yeah, we have a few of those bully types here. We have a very nice 13mi. linear park with paved nulti-use path, and some of these guys think it's their personal TT route.

Ha.....

I was hit from behind 47 years ago while riding my Schwinn Varsity 10 speed on Rickenbacker Causeway when riding 5 feet off the road on the shoulder... Car was going 62 MPH.. Never hit their brakes,, Didn't even stop, just kept going... I was Critically injured.....:redface::redface:...

Cars /trucks and bikes DO not mix well..... BTDT....

Yes, that's my biggest fear, morons in cars, they are much more of a threat to life than some guy in a "clown suit" on a bicycle. I rode just over 3,000 miles in 2015, drove about 20,000 miles. I'm hoping to double the bike riding this year.

For the most part drivers around here are very courteous to bicycles and most riders work hard not to be a pain in the butt.

Two years ago I was stopped by a guy on a narrow windy back road. He was upset because I saw him coming and took the lane on a section that was very narrow and had a big curve, there was no room for him to pass and I didn't let him try. Ironically, it was a downhill section with a 20mph speed limit, I was going 20 mph. Well, after the curve, when I moved back over to the side, he cut me off, stopped me and cussed me out, called me selfish. So I asked him how much time he lost having to follow me. He didn't answer, so I told him, it was maybe 15 or 20 seconds he was stuck behind me so realistically he lost less than that (remember, I was going the speed limit). I told him he was going to be responsible for killing someone someday with his hot head. He swore at me and drove off.

It's legislated here that bicycles, joggers and pedestrians have a right to be on the roads. I'm willing to bet I pay more taxes than most as do many of the people I ride with, the tax issue is red herring.

Yes, that's my biggest fear, morons in cars, they are much more of a threat to life than some guy in a "clown suit" on a bicycle. I rode just over 3,000 miles in 2015, drove about 20,000 miles. I'm hoping to double the bike riding this year.

For the most part drivers around here are very courteous to bicycles and most riders work hard not to be a pain in the butt.

Two years ago I was stopped by a guy on a narrow windy back road. He was upset because I saw him coming and took the lane on a section that was very narrow and had a big curve, there was no room for him to pass and I didn't let him try. Ironically, it was a downhill section with a 20mph speed limit, I was going 20 mph. Well, after the curve, when I moved back over to the side, he cut me off, stopped me and cussed me out, called me selfish. So I asked him how much time he lost having to follow me. He didn't answer, so I told him, it was maybe 15 or 20 seconds he was stuck behind me so realistically he lost less than that (remember, I was going the speed limit). I told him he was going to be responsible for killing someone someday with his hot head. He swore at me and drove off.

It's legislated here that bicycles, joggers and pedestrians have a right to be on the roads. I'm willing to bet I pay more taxes than most as do many of the people I ride with, the tax issue is red herring.

Joggers are pedestrians are REQUIRED by law to travel facing traffic... NOT going with the traffic...:rolleyes:

Joggers are pedestrians are REQUIRED by law to travel facing traffic... NOT going with the traffic...:rolleyes:
Yeah so?
Guess you don't know or haven't considered the reasoning behind that. Think about it.....

Yeah so?
Guess you don't know or haven't considered the reasoning behind that. Think about it.....

Oh, I know the reasoning.... I was waiting for one of the cyclists here to answer the question of " Why bikes are outlawed on Interstate Highways"...:rolleyes:

Maybe you can find a place frequented by lots of other bicyclers. My wife and I ride a trail that has a couple of places along the way that cater to bicyclers. Always a lot of spandex profiling going on. You won't look so out of place.:dunno:

I'm a fairly picky eater. The place in question is is a local (California) fast food chain. And while rare, other bikers do come in. There is a bike shop across the lot where a local club meets up to go on rides.

......ride, ride home, SHOWER, dress for public consumption, walk/drive/motorbike/or even cruiser-bicycle to restaurant of choice.
I can't fathom a heavy meal then back to spinning.

That makes zero sense. Ride fifteen miles home, only to drive fifteen miles back in the other direction? No. I need food to complete the ride. Real food, not just energy bars. In the course of an 80 miler, I'll do a preride breakfast of say, a couple egg McMuffs, have maybe one energy bar 40 miles in to it, and then a burger at mile 60 or so.

Just because you are looking at someone doesn't mean you are looking at them in that way. Or maybe some can't look at people any other way...

Bingo. My socks never felt violated around you.

Highways /paved roads for motor driven vehicles are PAID for by license tags and fuel taxes.... You want to ride on them:dunno:.... then BUY a tag and pay your fair share.. Until then,, you guys are just frigging freeloaders.... Some of the road bikes I see are thousands of dollars... Cough up 100 bucks a year, you cheapskates....:yes:

By that logic, people shouldn't be able to walk on the road either. Sorry, I agree with a lot of what you say, but not on this one. I pay my taxes. Lots of them.

And that is a good thing.

I'm okay with pedestrians and runners going against traffic on the roadways, but one huge, enormous pet peeve of mine is that on the local bike trails, they tell pedestrians and runners to use the right hand shoulder of the trail.

Which is fine, as long as they use the shoulder, in which case it doesn't matter which way they run. But they don't (or can't.) So what we end up with is situations where we can't just fall in behind them on the bike and wait to pass, we either have to make a risky pass against oncoming traffic, or come to a complete stop in front of them, ****ing us both off. I can't begin to describe how moronic that practice is. The lanes aren't wide enough for that.

Oh, I know the reasoning.... I was waiting for one of the cyclists here to answer the question of " Why bikes are outlawed on Interstate Highways"...:rolleyes:

Interstates are limited access with cars and trucks moving at least 65 mph on most of them. I have no desire to ride a bike, jog or walk on an interstate. I'm scratching my head trying figure out your point.

Interstates are limited access with cars and trucks moving at least 65 mph on most of them. I have no desire to ride a bike, jog or walk on an interstate. I'm scratching my head trying figure out your point.

Most two lane roads in Wyoming are posted 65 MPH,, and they don't have shoulders.. Are they safe for bicycles to ride on?

Wrong AGAIN.
Do your research. Google can be your friend ( if you abstain from calling it names).
Some entire states allow it, areas of others do.

Wrong AGAIN.
Do your research. Google can be your friend ( if you abstain from calling it names).
Some entire states allow it, areas of others do.

Your buddy, PaulS says otherwise...:rolleyes:

I'm a fairly picky eater. The place in question is is a local (California) fast food chain. And while rare, other bikers do come in. There is a bike shop across the lot where a local club meets up to go on rides.

That makes zero sense. Ride fifteen miles home, only to drive fifteen miles back in the other direction? No. I need food to complete the ride. Real food, not just energy bars. In the course of an 80 miler, I'll do a preride breakfast of say, a couple egg McMuffs, have maybe one energy bar 40 miles in to it, and then a burger at mile 60 or so.

Bingo. My socks never felt violated around you.

By that logic, people shouldn't be able to walk on the road either. Sorry, I agree with a lot of what you say, but not on this one. I pay my taxes. Lots of them.

I'm okay with pedestrians and runners going against traffic on the roadways, but one huge, enormous pet peeve of mine is that on the local bike trails, they tell pedestrians and runners to use the right hand shoulder of the trail.

Which is fine, as long as they use the shoulder, in which case it doesn't matter which way they run. But they don't (or can't.) So what we end up with is situations where we can't just fall in behind them on the bike and wait to pass, we either have to make a risky pass against oncoming traffic, or come to a complete stop in front of them, ****ing us both off. I can't begin to describe how moronic that practice is. The lanes aren't wide enough for that.

Not only do you need to eat, but you need water too. I generally carry two bottles which is good for about 2 hours if it's not too hot. That's anywhere from 30 to 38 miles depending on my speed. Sometimes I'll carry 3 bottles if I'm in a remote area, but usually I'll stop at a store and buy bottled water and a snack to refill.

On longer rides, over an hour generally, I use this stuff https://www.infinitnutrition.us/ as I have trouble finding food that doesn't give me stomach issues when I'm riding. I do a 135 mile ride, up hill (seems that way anyway) in the spring, last year I averaged 16 mph, and drank 8 bottles of Infinit. It works great.

I need to figure out food that will work though, as I'm thinking about a cross country ride and couldn't stomach drinking it everyday for 40 or so days.

Not only do you need to eat, but you need water too. I generally carry two bottles which is good for about 2 hours if it's not too hot. That's anywhere from 30 to 38 miles depending on my speed. Sometimes I'll carry 3 bottles if I'm in a remote area, but usually I'll stop at a store and buy bottled water and a snack to refill.

On longer rides, over an hour generally, I use this stuff https://www.infinitnutrition.us/ as I have trouble finding food that doesn't give me stomach issues when I'm riding. I do a 135 mile ride, up hill (seems that way anyway) in the spring, last year I averaged 16 mph, and drank 8 bottles of Infinit. It works great.

I need to figure out food that will work though, as I'm thinking about a cross country ride and couldn't stomach drinking it everyday for 40 or so days.

Water is generally not an issue for me, as most of my routes have plenty of water stops in between. If I go out in the hicks though, it can be an issue, particularly in the Summer. Even then, it's fairly rare when there are so few water stops available that I can't make one water bottle and a bottle of G2 stuffed in the jersey pocket work, even on a century ride.

Just as a matter of technicality, not all interstate highways are freeways. Bikes are generally banned from freeways, not highways. But as previously stated, it's up to the state to decide access rights.

Just as a matter of technicality, not all interstate highways are freeways. Bikes are generally banned from freeways, not highways. But as previously stated, it's up to the state to decide access rights.

:goofy::goofy::goofy::goofy:

I can not understand that anger that driver's have for bicycles. I mean, they are driving in a vehicle, with comfortable seats, climate controlled, power steering, power brakes, and the come upon a bicycle, and they go nuts. GET OFF MY ROAD. GET OUT OF MY WAY. YOU'RE MAKING ME SLOW DOWN. YOU'RE A MORON FOR RIDING YOUR BICYCLE. What the heck, people need to calm down a little. :yes:

I can not understand that anger that driver's have for bicycles. I mean, they are driving in a vehicle, with comfortable seats, climate controlled, power steering, power brakes, and the come upon a bicycle, and they go nuts. GET OFF MY ROAD. GET OUT OF MY WAY. YOU'RE MAKING ME SLOW DOWN. YOU'RE A MORON FOR RIDING YOUR BICYCLE. What the heck, people need to calm down a little. :yes:

My take is that there are a lot of people out there who just don't drive that well and are truly afraid when they drive and some of these are the biggest complainers. Then there are those who think you are an idiot for exercising and breaking a sweat, most of those seem to be under 60 years old.

My take is that there are a lot of people out there who just don't drive that well and are truly afraid when they drive and some of these are the biggest complainers. Then there are those who think you are an idiot for exercising and breaking a sweat, most of those seem to be under 60 years old.

The funny thing is the homeless people on bikes, who by the way are some of the biggest offenders of common sense, let alone bicycle safety and legality, seem to get a pass because they can't drive. It's the people that choose to ride that get the animosity.

Back