[rant]Cyclist's dilemma[rant]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
It's the same routine. It happens nearly every Saturday, and Sundays too. The burger ride. Well it may be a burger ride, or it might be a ride-ride with a burger stop near the tail end.

There is a bike rack outside of the burger place. Do you think I'm going to seriously entertain leaving my Uber costly (Uber costly? Get it? See what I did there? Did you hear about the scandal over New Year's eve?) carbon fiber roadie on a bike rack, even if I carried a lock? Hell no. I'm putting it someplace in plain view, and close enough so I can dash outside if someone tries to take it. So it normally ends up leaning on the plate glass window in the outdoor seating area.

Burger girl: "How was the ride?"
Me: "Great. You know, I feel conspicuous in these biking clothes. They seem to draw a lot of attention."
Burger girl: "Well, sort of..."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Burger girl: "Want the honest truth?"
Me: "Sure."
Burger girl: "They're all staring at your dick."

What?! Maybe it's the Winter long pants, you know, the ones without the padding like the shorts have. Or maybe it's because it's Winter and every one else is dressed like an Eskimo. But she was right. I checked myself out in the mirror. That thing really does stick out. So I try to be all nonchalant about it, grab my burger and drink, scarf it down quickly, and get the hell out of there. But go figure, it had to happen. Fast forward to yesterday:

That's right, seated in the booth that sits next to the plate glass window is a family of four. Mom, dad, little Johnnie and little Sally. I have to tell you, there was something very phallic about how Mom was eating her french fry, with her face literally inches from the bulge as I put my helmet and gloves on. You couldn't hear the conversation, but you could almost read their lips. Went something like this....

Johnnie: "Little Eddie got one of those in Miss Penny's class before the break, when she bent over to pick up the eraser off the floor."
Sally: "Yeah, is it supposed to do that?"
Dad: "Hmph. Damn bikers."
Mom: "Well... he may not be a black man, but still...."
Dad: "What?!"
Mom: "Nevermind."

Have I violated some sort of social more? (morey? No that's an eel. moray? Or is that the eel?) I don't really like to stick out, so to speak, in public, but it seems unavoidable in biking clothes. WW6PCD?

It's affecting my biking. Well, not biking, but eating. It's like the one, sole reward for five hours and eighty miles of torture fest is that juicy burger with bacon in it. Not that watching mom unconsciously deep throat the french fry was unrewarding, but now being all self conscious of things just detracts from the experience.

Anyway, that's all, I'm over it now. On to better things.

16PPOwx.png

You have a great imagination. Here in Massachusetts, no more road biking until the snow melts. I'm thinking about a fat bike. Will hopefully spend an hour on the trainer tonight.

Did you get mom's #, or the burger girl's? Or both? :D

I'm thinking that no numbers were exchanged. That said, it does take some balls to walk in to a store in bike shorts.

I'm thinking that no numbers were exchanged. That said, it does take some balls to walk in to a store in bike shorts.

Ahh I see what you did there, well done! :yesnod:

I've gone into gas stations in bike shorts, but never sat down at a restaurant to eat in them. Usually if I ride from home I end up back at home so no big deal. If I drive somewhere to ride I'm trying to remember to keep a pair of regular shorts or pants in the car to wear before and after.

I've never had that problem. Huh.

Is this you, Sac?

Attachments

• dodgeball.jpg
    dodgeball.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 104
Maybe he does what rockers do. Stuff a sock there!

Sounds there was really no problem since you did not wear the argyle socks. Or did you? Oh the horror!

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, I always carry a banana with me on my rides too - quick source of carbs and potassium.

But I usually carry it in the back pocket of the jersey.

Oh...and by the way....real men ride steel.

You have a great imagination. Here in Massachusetts, no more road biking until the snow melts. I'm thinking about a fat bike. Will hopefully spend an hour on the trainer tonight.

It's been cold here. I've been struggling to get decent rides in. But it is rideable.

Did you get mom's #, or the burger girl's? Or both? :D
Nope. Mom wasn't all that great. Nice mouth though.

Is this you, Sac?

Where did you get my picture?

Sounds there was really no problem since you did not wear the argyle socks. Or did you? Oh the horror!

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How do you know I didn't? (actually I was wearing foot booties, no socks visible.)

Oh...and by the way....real men ride steel.

I miss my Schwinn Traveler. (No I don't.)

Did I miss one was Asian? might explain more

Mostly white chicks and Latinas.

Why don't you post a picture of yourself in your bicycling regalia, so that we can give you an honest opinion? My imagination is not painting a very complimentary image in my mind. I do a lot of bicycling myself, and I've seen my fair share of riders who really shouldn't be wearing spandex. But it is difficult to determine in your case without photos.

Last edited:
Why don't you post a picture of yourself in you bicycling regalia, so that we can give you an honest opinion? My imagination is not painting a very complimentary image in my mind. I do a lot of bicycling myself, and I've seen my fair share of riders who really shouldn't be wearing spandex. But it is difficult to determine in you case without photos.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :yikes:

:nonod::nono::nonod::nono::nonod::nono::nonod::nono:

Why don't you post a picture of yourself in you bicycling regalia, so that we can give you an honest opinion? My imagination is not painting a very complimentary image in my mind. I do a lot of bicycling myself, and I've seen my fair share of riders who really shouldn't be wearing spandex. But it is difficult to determine in you case without photos.

You asked for it....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2784.JPG
    IMG_2784.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2783.JPG
    IMG_2783.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 266
I just wanted to see the "uber costly carbon fiber".

But anyway, what's up with the splatters on your mirror? :confused::nono:

Can someone please explain the road bike spandex thing to me? I understand the aerodynamics of it, but I'd imagine that 99% of the guys out there on the road aren't cycling at a level where any of that matters. So why smuggle grapes if it's not necessary?

Can someone please explain the road bike spandex thing to me? I understand the aerodynamics of it, but I'd imagine that 99% of the guys out there on the road aren't cycling at a level where any of that matters. So why smuggle grapes if it's not necessary?
Riding shorts have proper anti-chaff pad in proper place. Not so much spandex as it is the pad.

Agreed....

99% of the cyclists here are rich, arrogant and look like a moving billboard with all the graphics on their outfits...

And they ride two abreast and get ****ed when you try and pass them..:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Oh yeah,,, and just 10 feet away is the new 20 million dollar bike path they just absolutely HAD to have...:mad::mad:

Friggin idiots...

It's not so much aerodynamics as it is abrasion and snag resistance. Chains snag on loose clothing and plus it rubs on the skin.

Try 3 hours on a bike with underwear and shorts, you will get over the spandex phobia very quickly, after your butt stops bleeding.

You are dressed like I dress when I go out in 30 degree weather, what is the temp there?

Personally I bike in cargo shorts and sandals...but then, I have a wooden seat on my bike...

An entire thread on trouser snakes. We got rid of the SZ why?

Looks like we need to use the zoom function.

But back on the whole aerodynamics thing, don't completely discount it. On a mountain bike it doesn't matter, you don't go that fast or that far to make a noticeable difference. It's different on a road bike. I'm not a pro racer, but I'm no Fred either. I topped 4,000 miles last year, and regularly cranked out 80-90 mile rides. When you go that far, and maintain a 17-18 mph flat road pace, aerodynamics do matter. I mean there's aero and there's stupid aero - I don't go stupid aero but loose fitting clothing flapping in the breeze will rob you one or two mph and road bike speeds. It doesn't sound like much but it adds up on a long ride, and it may make the difference between being able to hang with a group or not.

Try 3 hours on a bike with underwear and shorts, you will get over the spandex phobia very quickly, after your butt stops bleeding.

Yep.

You are dressed like I dress when I go out in 30 degree weather, what is the temp there?

It was about 35 degrees when I went on that ride. I'm good in shorts and a jersey down to about 60 degrees. Between 50 and 60 I go with long pants and a poly thermal long sleeve undershirt under the jersey. 40 to 50 I'll add shoe booties and a thicker shirt. Below that I'll add a windbreaker and beanie cap.

It seems like it's harder and harder to handle the cold. I'm wiped after 30 miles, when in the Summer I'd feel the same after 70.

Back