[rant]Cost cutting on TV serials[/rant]

Do you fret over television show blunders?

• Total voters

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
"That line item is a a replacement fitting which caused the crash."
"We outsourced it to stay within budget."

I'll get to that.

Backdrop: Direct TV runs NCIS Los Angeles from 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. on weekdays on the USA channel. On weekends, that time slot is occupied by an infomercial, but an alternate channel runs NCIS New Orleans during that time slot. That time slot is my cardio session on the elliptical machine. A Precor AMT model, but that is not important.

Here's the thing. The first quote is unimportant. The second quote is important because it was made by actress Sumalee Montano. Actress Sumalee Montano is defense contractor representative Melanie Pratt in this epsiode of NCIS New Orleans.

Here's the problem. I recognized her. She was also character Yen Tran in this episode of NCIS Los Angeles.

They committed the ultimate sin. They recycled an Asian chick. Here's the thing. All three NCIS series are interconnected. Dinuzzo might show up in LA. Ducky might confer with Loretta. They are all shared assets.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. Carry on.

*note: the whole premise of the show is complete BS on pretty much every level. I just find it more entertaining than fake news and sports recaps.

Don't even get me started on the fake accents.

I kind of like NCIS Los Angeles. LL makes the show.

BTW to my recollection, the real NCIS didn't ordinarily leave the base, let alone operate off base, and they wore uniforms or suits. I don't even think they carried guns. For damn sure they didn't engage in tac ops shootouts.

Don't even get me started on the fake accents.

I kind of like NCIS Los Angeles. LL makes the show.

BTW to my recollection, the real NCIS didn't ordinarily leave the base, let alone operate off base, and they wore uniforms or suits. I don't even think they carried guns. For damn sure they didn't engage in tac ops shootouts.
Every NCIS LA ends with a shootout. Formulaic all the way. But I do like Hetty's closing comment at the end of almost every episode during the credits.

Every NCIS LA ends with a shootout. Formulaic all the way. But I do like Hetty's closing comment at the end of almost every episode during the credits.

Loved how she flew an F18 on to a carrier one episode. Seems they waived the minimum height requirement for a fighter pilot. What is it? 5'-3" I think? (How could she see out the cockpit? Booster seat?)

I don't fret per se but I do have a stupidity threshold. Once that line is reached, I go watch something else. TV and movie tropes lower the threshold considerably. If your kid needs his medicine as you are on-the-run, kidnapped, trapped in space, what-have-you, then I am pretty much outta there.

I don't fret per se but I do have a stupidity threshold. Once that line is reached, I go watch something else. TV and movie tropes lower the threshold considerably. If your kid needs his medicine as you are on-the-run, kidnapped, trapped in space, what-have-you, then I am pretty much outta there.

Two syllables. Chris-ley. Seriously, I'll watch an infomercial or tune in to the God Squad before I submit myself to that show. A reality show with zero plot, zero interest, poor acting and amateur filmography. I mean. Why.

So there is this lady at the gym. Okay she's not young. Okay I'm just sayin', tough times, I'll take what I can get. Her backside is looking good these days yo. Anyway, she like doesn't talk to anybody. Especially me. I think she senses the raw animal magnetism and can detect the intense visualization of bodies intertwined in beastial carnage engaged in wonton passion and.... Anyway, forget about that, where I was going with that was that she actually got a laugh when she saw my reaction when Chrisley Knows Best came on.

The channel got changed.

Fortunately, Scorpion finally got cancelled. To me, that was the ultimate (at least in current years) of stupidity and ignorance of the Laws of the Universe.

Fortunately, Scorpion finally got cancelled. To me, that was the ultimate (at least in current years) of stupidity and ignorance of the Laws of the Universe.

Oh, heck yes, that was terrible! I watched a bit in the beginning where they had to connect a USB cord from a laptop in the car to an airliner while it made a low pass to reboot ATC because everyone knows that airliners cannot land without ATC in beautiful VFR weather. That was it for me. Surprised I lasted that long into the show but airplane-based does raise the stupidity threshold considerably.

The list of TV series I can tolerate watching is short, and gets shorter every season. NCIS is OK... just... but the spinoffs are beyond stupid. Elementary, Walking Dead, Vikings, and a few others... but honestly if the cable went out permanently tomorrow I wouldn’t be too upset.

Oh, heck yes, that was terrible! I watched a bit in the beginning where they had to connect a USB cord from a laptop in the car to an airliner while it made a low pass to reboot ATC because everyone knows that airliners cannot land without ATC in beautiful VFR weather. That was it for me. Surprised I lasted that long into the show but airplane-based does raise the stupidity threshold considerably.
That was the first AND last episode of that POS I bothered trying to watch.

OH that gets you going....think about this, the actor playing Young Sheldon's dad is the same actor that played Lenard's high school nemesis.

I stopped worrying about what shows were trying to portray and just went with it when my Dad told me he was CO of China Beach in Vietnam and there wasn't a female within a hundred miles.

My 2 favorite guess characters on ncis they killed off: Mike Franks, and Gibbs ex-wife Diane.
I can’t stand the geek characters on any of them, they show no imagination, very stereotypical.

Horseradish in Cole Slaw...hmmm. I make my Cole slaw with Olive oil, Red Wine vinegar and add some Hot Sesame Oil to give it some zing but never thought of Horseradish.

Two syllables. Chris-ley. Seriously, I'll watch an infomercial or tune in to the God Squad before I submit myself to that show. A reality show with zero plot, zero interest, poor acting and amateur filmography. I mean. Why.

So there is this lady at the gym. Okay she's not young. Okay I'm just sayin', tough times, I'll take what I can get. Her backside is looking good these days yo. Anyway, she like doesn't talk to anybody. Especially me. I think she senses the raw animal magnetism and can detect the intense visualization of bodies intertwined in beastial carnage engaged in wonton passion and.... Anyway, forget about that, where I was going with that was that she actually got a laugh when she saw my reaction when Chrisley Knows Best came on.

The channel got changed.

Sounds like you want to give her your horse radish.

The list of TV series I can tolerate watching is short, and gets shorter every season. NCIS is OK... just... but the spinoffs are beyond stupid. Elementary, Walking Dead, Vikings, and a few others... but honestly if the cable went out permanently tomorrow I wouldn’t be too upset.

I like Elementary for awhile mostly due to Lucy. Shows with eccentric characters get old quickly. Happened with House as well. Just so much of that sort of thing I can stand.

Never got into Walking Dead. Really enjoyed Vikings.

I really enjoyed The Americans. I think that was the last series I got into.
Absolutely. I was sad to see it end, as I was sad to see Halt and Catch Fire accelerate and end as quickly as it did. Hell on Wheels was excellent as well.

Absolutely. I was sad to see it end, as I was sad to see Halt and Catch Fire accelerate and end as quickly as it did. Hell on Wheels was excellent as well.

I'm kinda liking Patriot, watched the entire first season and a bit of the second. Not compelling but quirky and different. Sad, too.

I guess I don't speak Dog today. What's that barking about?

Sorry. Didn't mean to come across like I no doubt did.

One of the poll answers was "Who cares"

You wrote "Any guesses how I voted"

So I guessed that you voted "Who cares" and then tried to make a joke out of it.

Woof woof.

So I guessed that you voted "Who cares" and then tried to make a joke out of it.

Woof woof.

Oh... The Horseradish answer as a nod to me from a prior thread about Cole Slaw. That was what I was referring to.

Play on!

Oh... The Horseradish answer as a nod to me from a prior thread about Cole Slaw. That was what I was referring to.

Play on!

Ah, I missed that selection as being a nod to you though I do seem to recall the thread where horseradish in coleslaw was mentioned.

Plus, ravioli and horseradish just don't go together in my mind. ;)

Here's the thing. The first quote is unimportant. The second quote is important because it was made by actress Sumalee Montano. Actress Sumalee Montano is defense contractor representative Melanie Pratt in this epsiode of NCIS New Orleans.

Here's the problem. I recognized her. She was also character Yen Tran in this episode of NCIS Los Angeles.

They committed the ultimate sin. They recycled an Asian chick.

Interesting, IMDB says that in 2017 she was also Nicole Taggert on 2 episodes of NCIS...

Hey, actresses have to eat too. You expect her to make a living off of the residuals for one lousy character? Let the girl work!

Besides, how can you be so grumpy when it's the happiest season of all: Toyotathon!

Women-Standing-in-Front-of-Toyota-Models-and-Toyotathon-IS-ON-Banner_o.jpg

Baby gets around, I guess.
Once an actor gets a rep for,being on time, knowing the script, not being a problem and doing a good job, they get hired more often. Acquaintance of mine was on just about every sitcom and drama starting in the mid 80s for more than 20 years because of this. Retired now, still dabbles once in a while if agent calls with something interesting.

There was a syndicated crime TV show about ten years back, where they had, basically, the same set of actors for each episode. The main characters were always played by the same actors, but there were additional actors who always played the different bad guys, bad girls, etc. in each episode. Was a tad confusing.

Ron Wanttaja

There was a recurring crime family in Law and Order back in the late 90's that shared a last name with me.

You would think that a serial show with a world class rapper would have him throw down a few rhymes once in a while. Well finally. This was the trailer song from this morning's episode:

By the way, LL was actually a big influence in my life growing up and he's a class act. A positive role model. And a huge talent.

Heh. Guess which episode played this morning.

And I guess they were making a political statement - they painted the current Vietnamese government as nastier and more oppressive than it actually is.

Back