Questions for professional pilots.

AE0381

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AE0381
Hey guys, new here. Had some questions regarding becoming a career pilot. I'm currently in the Marine Corps and plan on re-enlisting for one more. My plan is to complete my bachelor's degree by the end of my second enlistment using my military TA then I plan on using my G.I. Bill to fund my flight school. My question is SHOULD my degree relate to a career in aviation? I understand it's strongly recommended to have a 4-year degree to pursue a career as a pilot, but would I be looked at the same as another pilot with a 4-year degree in a aviation related field? Thanks for any feedback.

Depends on what type of flying you want to do. You haven't provided us with enough information in order to give an appropriate answer to your question.

Short, easy answer, a degree can never hurt and one not related aviation gives you more alternatives if your dream goes down the crapper.

If you're thinking of airlines, the kind of degree doesn't matter, so the conventional wisdom is to study something that'll give you a backup career option if the flying doesn't work out.

I know an aviator in another branch who got a degree in biz and it has helped him both in his AF career and in extra-flying endeavors.

Thanks guys for the quick responses. so Mcfly, you say it depends on what kind of flying I'd like to do. Does that mean cargo/passenger vs. flying charter for example? I only know the military side of aviation as an airframer (AH-1Z/UH-1Y). I'd like to see myself flying large passenger aircraft in the future. With that said, what would benefit me most as a new student pilot trying to get a foot in the door?

Thanks guys for the quick responses. so Mcfly, you say it depends on what kind of flying I'd like to do. Does that mean cargo/passenger vs. flying charter for example? I only know the military side of aviation as an airframer (AH-1Z/UH-1Y). I'd like to see myself flying large passenger aircraft in the future. With that said, what would benefit me most as a new student pilot trying to get a foot in the door?

If you want to get into the Majors, you need a 4 year degree in anything. The regionals will take you without a degree.

Sure, not only what type flying but what type aircraft as well. Generally, as the aircraft get bigger, the requirements get more stringent.

Plenty of helos jobs, including the one that I do, that don't require a degree. They want flight experience and not a guy right out of ER with a few hundred hrs and a BA.

Corporate and charter. Some require a degree while others don't. From what I've seen, if it's a captain position, generally requires a degree.

Airlines. Regionals no degree but from what I've seen the majors require it.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not advocating not getting a degree either. It can set you up for other avenues and you can always be proud to have gotten your degree. I have 2 1/2 years college with no degree. My job doesn't require it nor does it count for promotion. I'll never get into management but I'm quite alright with that.

Last edited:
I would suggest anything but an aviation degree.

When I was in college, I had no plans to fly and had no plans for a career in law enforcement. I did criminal justice because it only had one math class.

Decide what you would like to do if you had no interest in aviation.

Truthfully, your military experience would make me look at your resume for my company.

Billy, thanks for the reply. That's my idea exactly. If flying for some reason doesn't fall in place like I hope it will, I wanted a degree in my second field of choice which would be finance.

Welcome, and no, no one cares what your degree is in.

That.

And the 4 year degree is becoming more and more useless every year, with the ATP rule change it wouldn't surprise me if the 4 year degree requirment for some of the majors goes the way of the doe doe bird.

If you are going to be using the tax payers money to get a degree, get something that is at least useful, look into becoming a RN nurse or something, at least you can make some ROI for the tax payers bucks with that.

I know an aviator in another branch who got a degree in biz and it has helped him both in his AF career and in extra-flying endeavors.

This parallel's my thoughts. Get a business degree that can lend itself to a future successful non-flying career. Then keep that in your back pocket (and keep your skills up) as you progress through flight training and eventual flying career.

Said degree can help create and nurture additional income activities for the times when you are not scheduled to fly.

I know of several pro pilots who went this route and are happy they did so.

I didn't read all responses, so pardon me if I repeat..

An aviation degree may give you a slight advantage for an aviation career, however the diversification of a non related degree far outweighs that advantage.
I would get a degree in something you're interested in doing should the aviation thing go south.

FYI- Delta is one of the few airlines that require a four year degree. They make it known they prefer a Masters. Most other airlines a degree is preferred but not required.

I didn't read all responses, so pardon me if I repeat..

An aviation degree may give you a slight advantage for an aviation career, however the diversification of a non related degree far outweighs that advantage.
I would get a degree in something you're interested in doing should the aviation thing go south.

FYI- Delta is one of the few airlines that require a four year degree. They make it known they prefer a Masters. Most other airlines a degree is preferred but not required.

I'd think a airline would look for applicant who got degrees that were at least worth the paper they were printed on, that ain't aviation degrees.

I'd think a airline would look for applicant who got degrees that were at least worth the paper they were printed on, that ain't aviation degrees.
Really? Do you have an aviation degree, or are you guessing?

Really? Do you have an aviation degree, or are you guessing?

Really.

And no, I wouldn't have wasted my money on a aviation degree, and yes I do have a degree.

Been in the industry long enough to see how far a aviation degree gets folks, it's a degree to be a degree, might as well be a BS in basket weaving.

Is it your position that a 4 year aviation degree is a better choice than, say, a 4 year nursing degree, ending with having your RN in your back pocket?

James, if something prevented you from flying as a career, in what industry or type of job would we eventually find you?

James, if something prevented you from flying as a career, in what industry or type of job would we eventually find you?

Got a couple options.

Probably find me doing some DZ stuff, realestate and/or medical, I'm a fan of not being a one trick pony :D

Really.

And no, I wouldn't have wasted my money on a aviation degree, and yes I do have a degree.

Been in the industry long enough to see how far a aviation degree gets folks, it's a degree to be a degree, might as well be a BS in basket weaving.

Is it your position that a 4 year aviation degree is a better choice than, say, a 4 year nursing degree, ending with having your RN in your back pocket?
I believe if you read my post a little closer you will see in totality I advised against an aviation degree.

To say an aviation degree is worthless is blowing smoke out your butt. I know many aviation professionals with such degrees, from major airlines to senior NTSB personel. Yes, perhaps those jobs would be available to other degree holders also, but the point is you said they are worthless. Obviously they are not. You likely don't even know the curriculum involved in such a degree. I do...

My degree is in Animal Science. The usual response on interviews has been a laugh followed by "well that's good, you'll know how to handle everyone!" (corporate pilot)

If you're thinking of airlines, the kind of degree doesn't matter, so the conventional wisdom is to study something that'll give you a backup career option if the flying doesn't work out.

I would suggest anything but an aviation degree.

When I was in college, I had no plans to fly and had no plans for a career in law enforcement. I did criminal justice because it only had one math class.

Decide what you would like to do if you had no interest in aviation.

Truthfully, your military experience would make me look at your resume for my company.

What they all said.

I would advise against an aviation degree(aviation management, professional pilot degree) and say if you are gonna get any aviation degree, make it an engineering degree.

My degree is in Animal Science. The usual response on interviews has been a laugh followed by "well that's good, you'll know how to handle everyone!" (corporate pilot)

Those sound like some folks I would like to work for! :lol:

I would advise against an aviation degree(aviation management, professional pilot degree) and say if you are gonna get any aviation degree, make it an engineering degree.
Indeed engineering would be prime.

Welcome aboard Marine ! As a former Zulu Driver and current 777 driver I can tell you it doesn't matter what your degree is in. You can be conservative and get it in something that might help you in the "World of Work" or hurry up and get it in whatever you can complete the quickest. Since this is a seniority based business - I would advise the latter.

As someone who recently graduated from college, I have all the same ratings as a kid from Embry Riddle, WMU, UND, etc have and I am not $100K in debt. Get your bachelor's degree at the cheapest school and fly on the side.

As someone who recently graduated from college, I have all the same ratings as a kid from Embry Riddle, WMU, UND, etc have and I am not $100K in debt. Get your bachelor's degree at the cheapest school and fly on the side.

Not a great comparison... You need to add the cost of your ratings to the "cheap" education. I have no doubt it's still cheaper, but your post is a bit misleading.

Not a great comparison... You need to add the cost of your ratings to the "cheap" education. I have no doubt it's still cheaper, but your post is a bit misleading.

I sort of read it that he was including all of it in his comparison though I could be wrong.

Yea. The cost of my ratings and education was still a whole lot cheaper than a student in a Professional Flight program

Is one of the elective outings a day herding cats? You're all set for any job in life, if so! LOL

So far no one has cared that I don't have one. YMMV.

I think that's because you had a huge number of hours of logged time in a good variety of aircraft before most folks would be ready to graduate a higher learning institution.

In other words, you done good having access to that 172 of yours and flying it every chance you could get. And then continuing on to get your ratings and fly for Jesse and that survey outfit.

I'm thinking of claiming the over on you reaching 10,000 hours by your 25th birthday.

I think that's because you had a huge number of hours of logged time in a good variety of aircraft before most folks would be ready to graduate a higher learning institution.

In other words, you done good having access to that 172 of yours and flying it every chance you could get. And then continuing on to get your ratings and fly for Jesse and that survey outfit.

I'm thinking of claiming the over on you reaching 10,000 hours by your 25th birthday.
It also depends on the job. If you want to work for a major airlines the'll pretty much expect you to have a degree

Knowing the folks that he's working for at the present time, I think it's more that they just don't care about degrees.

It also depends on the job. If you want to work for a major airlines the'll pretty much expect you to have a degree

What he said!

Back