Questions about my first Colon Screening

Just had mine this morning. Clean as a whistle. :thumbsup:

There’s a YouTube video of a dude whistling with those body parts. I was accosted by a friend sending the link. I’ll not link it here, and save you the “why are humans still alive?” wonderments. LOL.

@lbfjrmd @bbchien

The doctor who did the colon screening provided me a summary of his findings and some images of my innards.

Is it a good idea to bring these to my next AME visit so if he asks about the procedure, I have the report on hand to share?

@lbfjrmd @bbchien

The doctor who did the colon screening provided me a summary of his findings and some images of my innards.

Is it a good idea to bring these to my next AME visit so if he asks about the procedure, I have the report on hand to share?

The big question for you is going to be the status of the biopsies on the polyps, if I had to guess.

I've had five of the procedures because apparently I have a propensity to develop polyps. Frankly I did not like the amnesia part and basically losing a whole day. So I did some research before the last one and decided to decline any anesthesia. That's pretty much the norm in the rest of the world and in VA hospitals. The doctor had no problem with this (and commented that the only other patient he had that declined was another doctor in the practice. Hmmm). The only complaint seemed to be a bit of whining from the anesthesiologist. Hmm. Frankly I found it very interesting watching the camera and getting a bit of a running commentary. It's easier on the nurses because they don't have to manhandle you to change positions. There were two places, sharp bends, where it was a little uncomfortable, but that lasted seconds. When he was done, I got dressed, drove home, and had a normal day. I'll definitely do the same next time.

I've had five of the procedures because apparently I have a propensity to develop polyps. Frankly I did not like the amnesia part and basically losing a whole day. So I did some research before the last one and decided to decline any anesthesia. That's pretty much the norm in the rest of the world and in VA hospitals. The doctor had no problem with this (and commented that the only other patient he had that declined was another doctor in the practice. Hmmm). The only complaint seemed to be a bit of whining from the anesthesiologist. Hmm. Frankly I found it very interesting watching the camera and getting a bit of a running commentary. It's easier on the nurses because they don't have to manhandle you to change positions. There were two places, sharp bends, where it was a little uncomfortable, but that lasted seconds. When he was done, I got dressed, drove home, and had a normal day. I'll definitely do the same next time.

As posted, I did the same thing. Doctor didn't have a problem with me staying awake and I watched him remove a few pods which was interesting.

My problem is thin guys have a lot of bends per the doctor and let me tell you those bend moments were quite uncomfortable.

Next time, I plan to sleep thru it.

As posted, I did the same thing. Doctor didn't have a problem with me staying awake and I watched him remove a few pods which was interesting.

My problem is thin guys have a lot of bends per the doctor and let me tell you those bend moments were quite uncomfortable.

Next time, I plan to sleep thru it.

Hmm... I am not thin by any stretch of anyone’s imagination .... but for my first time.... I think I am going to sleep and let the cute nurses deal with my fat arse

The big question for you is going to be the status of the biopsies on the polyps, if I had to guess.
Findings say
  • Two 3-7mm polyps in distal descending colon and in the cecum, resected and retrieved.
  • Examination was otherwise normal.
  • Repeat Colonoscopy in 5 years for surveillance.
  • Return to doctor's office PRN

And then provided images taken with the camera during the procedure.

Since sedatives were discussed in this thread, I can say that the Versed and the Fentanyl I was given did their job just right.... Within a few minutes of them being administered to my IV tube, it was sleepy nap time and I didn't have any discomfort during or after..

I might try and stay awake for the next one. I really want to see the results.
The photos I got as part of the report featured an anatomical diagram showing where each photo was taken.

I'm sorta amazed how the camera probe is flexible enough to make those near right angle turns to reach the cecum.

I think anesthesia may be a LOP/ROP thing. My beef is that in the US no anesthesia isn’t offered as an option.

I think anesthesia may be a LOP/ROP thing.
Maybe more like "Less Filling" or "Tastes Great"?
My beef is that in the US no anesthesia isn’t offered as an option.
Actually, the doc I went to did a good job explaining the options I had. Especially since the info sheet I was provided wasn't worded very clearly on the difference between sedation and general anesthesia.

But you're on to something with your comment. "None" was not a choice he made me aware of.

Since sedatives were discussed in this thread, I can say that the Versed and the Fentanyl I was given did their job just right.... Within a few minutes of them being administered to my IV tube, it was sleepy nap time and I didn't have any discomfort during or after..

They gave me propofol with something else mixed in. I was talking to them one second, the next second I was waking up. Just the way I wanted it to happen.

Good for you to have made it through without issue.
Losing a day simply doesn't happen when propofol only sedation is used. It is the versed typically which causes that.
The reason we whine when someone refuses sedation for procedures such as this is because experience shows that often we're called into rescue a bad situation in the middle of a procedure. When that happens we don't have informed consent, we don't have a proper pre anesthetic history, we don't have a chart started, we're typically rushed into just getting on with it. If not for this issue of being on standby for bailout, most of us would be happy to just go to the lounge for the duration of your procedure.

Good for you to have made it through without issue.
Losing a day simply doesn't happen when propofol only sedation is used. It is the versed typically which causes that.
The reason we whine when someone refuses sedation for procedures such as this is because experience shows that often we're called into rescue a bad situation in the middle of a procedure. When that happens we don't have informed consent, we don't have a proper pre anesthetic history, we don't have a chart started, we're typically rushed into just getting on with it. If not for this issue of being on standby for bailout, most of us would be happy to just go to the lounge for the duration of your procedure.
The first few 'scopy procedures I had done were at a facility that REQUIRED anesthesia - I asked if I could do without, and they said that was not an option, they would not proceed unless I was out. IIRC their concern was the patient moving during the procedure because of discomfort. Yours sounds like a different perspective, one I was not told about. Interesting.

I'm not sure what kind of anesthesia they used on me, but I was talking to them, then out, then talking to them again. I think they stopped it a few seconds too early though, because I woke up with a dream of having a bowel movement. I was aware enough to deduce immediately that it was the last bit of the scope coming out. I don't remember feeling "fuzzy" at all. I was not offered a choice of anesthesia levels, and would definitely opt for the same if given a choice in the future.

Even with propofol the patient must lose something. It is pretty strong stuff. Ask Michael Jackson. And I'm sure you don't allow patients to drive home after getting it. What got my attention is that it's only the US (with the exception of VA administered procedures) that has the 99% anesthesia rate. I'm only pointing out that there is an alternative that is typically not presented to the patient in the US. And even though I opted out of anesthesia I still had to do all the informed consent and other paperwork.
Most important though is that this is a life saving procedure. Have it done if you're 45+ . The prep is tolerable, and the procedure itself is no big deal with anesthesia or without.

And I'm sure you don't allow patients to drive home after getting it.

When I had mine done Wednesday the person driving you had to be in the waiting room and couldn't leave and come back. And they checked.

When I had mine done Wednesday the person driving you had to be in the waiting room and couldn't leave and come back. And they checked.
Yes, the place I used to go to that didn't allow you to undergo the procedure awake also required your driver to stay in the waiting room. I never understood why. Last fall I told my driver that she would have to stay, but it turned out not to be true - this facility here has no such requirement. I wish I knew what the reasoning was at places that do not allow the driver to even step out for coffee.

Yes, the place I used to go to that didn't allow you to undergo the procedure awake also required your driver to stay in the waiting room. I never understood why. Last fall I told my driver that she would have to stay, but it turned out not to be true - this facility here has no such requirement. I wish I knew what the reasoning was at places that do not allow the driver to even step out for coffee.

I guess they're just wanting to make sure they're really going to take you home. And if they leave something could happen to them, etc, and you don't have a way home.

It's like a kid's drop-off party. If they let your ride leave, they have no control over when they get rid of you.

its my turn ... since this AM i am on gatorade, chicken broth and jello... i think this is the first time in my life i am on fasting and the nurse specifically mentioned ... you will be on liquid diet, that doesnt mean beer :(

only good thing is instead of the god awful "prep" to drink, i have been asked to mix 7 dozes of miralax with gatorade - 2 such bottles, one today, 1 tomorrow. miralax doesnt have a taste of its own, so the prep just tasts like gatorade.... just started to drink it.

unfortunately my screening is not till 1500 tomorrow... so long road ahead of me and expect to hear ... some details ... lol

Nearly every place that uses general anesthesia won't let you drive home after be it "up periscope" or oral surgery.

None of the places I've used cares whether the person is waiting on you are just going to meet you at the door. Last time, I ubered over there but my wife came and picked me up.

Two tricks I learned (one given to me by one of the nurses at the Gastro):

1. Make the appointment early in the morning. Cuts down on the "I'd kill for a cup of coffee and a donut" time.

2. Mix up the prep stuff as cold as you can make it. It deadens the horrific taste the stuff has.

My colonoscopy story is a little different. Over the summer I spent a lot of time at various public pools/waterparks with my amphibious four year old. The night of July 4th I had a bout of bloody #3 that was so bad I dragged myself to the doc the next morning. They found the parasite Cryptosporidium in my fecal sample which they suspected was the cause, but ordered a colonoscopy because I was due based on my age (45).

Pro tip- use a straw and suck on green jolly ranchers while drinking the Suprep.

On September 13 I had my procedure and the doc hot lassoed 4 small polyps and removed material from a large polyp, which he tattooed. As you might guess, that large polyp pathology came back with the dreaded invasive carcinoma note. Of course, that started our trip down the testing rabbit hole, starting with a CT scan to see if Cancer has spread anywhere else, a PET scan because the CT scan revealed something in my axillary (armpit) lymph nodes, the visit to the Oncologist because the PET scan revealed something in my groin and axillary lymph nodes. Thankfully the oncologist said what he saw in the Lymphatic system is completely separate from the colon cancer and did not concern him. The important thin was no spread to liver or lungs, which are the typical places colon cancer spreads to. I've also had a follow-up sigmoidoscopy, a fully-conscious short version of a colonoscopy, and a rigid scope rudely shoved up my rectum by the GI Surgeon in the exam room during a consult regarding the necessary operation to remove a section of the colon.

We're in a bit a holding pattern at this point as the surgeon wants to do an MRI in order to plan the surgery, and wants to wait for the site of the large polyp to heal a bit, so that will happen the first week of November. In the meantime I'm trying to get as much flying in as possible since it sounds like the surgery will have me down for a while.

Moral of the story. Don't put off your colonoscopy. My mom was on my case since my 40th birthday (we do have some family history) and I kept putting it off. If I had done this at 40 it would likely have been a simple adenomatous polyp and I wouldn't have to worry about anything for another 3 years.

Last edited:
iu

Well folks my part of the work is done, going to the hospital in couple of hours to see if they can find my head up there.

Do yourselves a favor and ask for miralax as the prep solution, no taste so you just taste the Gatorade. For me, I stayed up half the night in anticipation of going to the bathroom, nothing, zero. Woke up fairly early and called the nurse and told her I have managed to digest 7 daily doses of miralax, now what? She chuckled and asked me to take the next batch and follow up with 2 glasses of chicken broth. Before I could finish the 2nd glass... the process started. No cramps or nausea thus far.

Now I am making a laundry list of stuff that I am gonna eat when the procedure is done

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back