Questions about my first Colon Screening

Now I am making a laundry list of stuff that I am gonna eat when the procedure is done
LOL, I did that. I told my wife I wanted chick fil a, a juicy burger, and maybe even a pizza too :)

By the time I was done I was not particularly hungry and just wanted to go home and take a nap. I think I had some pretzels.

Man, I wanted food NOW after both of mine. This last time we went for a late breakfast and I had eggs, biscuits, bacon, gravy and sausage.

ask for miralax as the prep solution, no taste so you just taste the Gatorade.
The SurePrep I was provided had a week mediciney grape taste. More like some cough syrups.

And just two doses, 16-oz each with 16 oz water chaser.

Suprep is the actual name. The competitor is the rather inappropriately named GoLYTELY.

All done, I was awake and coherent throughout the procedure and saw what’s up my arse .... literally. Couldn’t find my head up there, contrary to popular belief among people who knows me. Not having anything to eat for 1.5 days was the worst part of the whole process.

Prior to my colonoscopy, the Doctor asked if I had any questions...... I said no, I watched the Foxworthy video. LOL

Good for you to have made it through without issue.
Losing a day simply doesn't happen when propofol only sedation is used. It is the versed typically which causes that.
The reason we whine when someone refuses sedation for procedures such as this is because experience shows that often we're called into rescue a bad situation in the middle of a procedure. When that happens we don't have informed consent, we don't have a proper pre anesthetic history, we don't have a chart started, we're typically rushed into just getting on with it. If not for this issue of being on standby for bailout, most of us would be happy to just go to the lounge for the duration of your procedure.

At the VA hospital in Albany, New York, they get a history (including any previous experiences with anesthesia), obtain informed consent to anesthesia or sedation if it should become necessary during the procedure, do a quick physical and blood work the day of the procedure, and start an IV before they start poking around. That seemed sensible enough to me.

The nurse told me that more than half of veterans who get their colonoscopies there decline any anesthesia or sedation. Whether that's because we're tough or because the VA is the only place where we seem to have that option, I don't know. I suspect a bit of both.

Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back