Question only for CFIs

Clip4

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cli4ord
A million years ago when I learned to fly, my CFI would allow family/friends to go along on the flights. Once I became a CFI, I did the same for a while, but ceased allowing this because I was uncertain how insurance would react in the event of a claim or how the FAA would treat this under 91.147.

So give me your opinion.

Not a CFI, but my wife joined us on several training flights during my PPL and IFR training.

My opinion is irrelevant. Ask your insurance company.

Insofar as § 91.147 is concerned, flight training is not an aerial tour.

Considering that you can instruct with a third class medical and the FAA considers the compensation received for flight instructing as compensation for teaching, I'd say 91.147 is irrelevant.

Insurance, and their interpretation of the activity may be another story.

i haven't done a lot of primary training but I've done it as a matter of course. It introduces the family member/friend, typically a spouse, to flying in a situation in which he or she feels more secure (an instructor on board).

It directly helps with parts of the training, for example, rudder use. Bad rudder use is in large part due to the front seats being just about on the CG, so we really don't feel uncoordinated flight that much. I give the back seater a rolled up newspaper, explain the phenomenon, and instruct her to whack the pilot in the back of the head if she feels her butt slide during a turn. :D

I'm not worried about the FAA considering it a tour. Insurance depends on the insurance contract. The ones I've looked at haven't concerned me. But that's me. YMMV.

If you see an insurance policy that prohibits passengers during flight instruction, let us know. I've never seen one.

I'm not seeing how 91.147 is relevant. I've never thought twice about letting my students bring friends or family on flights.

I'm not a CFI but I think allowing it might result in less of a chance that the student will take the person up once they solo especially if the CFI makes a point of mentioning the fact that doing so is unwise and illegal. Yeah, I know that only a small percentage of students take up passengers on 'solo' flights but if they are able to demonstrate their new skills to their friends with a CFI on board, then maybe they'd be less likely to do it alone.

Plus you can make it a learning experience by having the student do a W&B with the passenger included. It could reinforce the need to do one in the future.

I had no problem letting students bring people and would today if I still instructed.

The passenger is not being carried for compensation or hire so 91.147 doesn't apply. The only exchange of money is for the instructional services of the instructor--which the CFI considers as compensation for teaching rather than flying, and for rental of the aircraft (if applicable).

i haven't done a lot of primary training but I've done it as a matter of course. It introduces the family member/friend, typically a spouse, to flying in a situation in which he or she feels more secure (an instructor on board).

It directly helps with parts of the training, for example, rudder use. Bad rudder use is in large part due to the front seats being just about on the CG, so we really don't feel uncoordinated flight that much. I give the back seater a rolled up newspaper, explain the phenomenon, and instruct her to whack the pilot in the back of the head if she feels her butt slide during a turn. :D

I'm not worried about the FAA considering it a tour. Insurance depends on the insurance contract. The ones I've looked at haven't concerned me. But that's me. YMMV.

You must have trained with or exchanged ideas with my PPL/IR/MEL instructor. He did the same thing. I quickly learned to keep my feet on the peddles.

Tim

You must have trained with or exchanged ideas with my PPL/IR/MEL instructor. He did the same thing. I quickly learned to keep my feet on the peddles.

Tim
Nah. It's just great minds thinking alike ;)

Over the years I've allowed passengers along depending on the lesson plan.

That said, a few years back I was checking out a pilot in a newly purchased Cessna 205. He brought his 6 year old daughter along. I warned him that we were planning on doing slow flight & stalls & he replied by saying his daughter would love it.

I had asked him to perform a departure stall & as we were getting at a pretty high angle of attack, I looked back with horror to see his daughter out of her seat belt & standing in the baggage compartment. Yikes. We leveled the plane & told her to get back into her seat.

You have to keep your eye on passengers...you never know what they might do!

I will do it depending on the lesson, how flexible I can be with going outside of the syllabus, and the passenger going along. Creepy guy wants to go on his "girlfriends" intro flight? Nope, no way. Regular student wants to bring his mom on a flight that's mostly simulated IFR for him? Sure! A ground reference maneuvers flight can be made a good sightseeing flight too.

Unless it's bumpy. Be careful 'bout that.

Lesson in asking passengers if they feel well, or if they usually experience any sort of motion sickness... in 3... 2... 1...

Followed-up with a lesson on which cleaners get puke out of airplane upholstery the best... :)

I always let passengers fly with us if they want them to be included. Never worried with insurance or anything f else. Teaches them good sterile cockpit if anything during critical phases.

Back