Question on KASE LOC/DME-E in Aspen

I should have never mentioned DME. It was 3:30 am and I should have gone back to bed...
Because you didn't, I could've drowned. Got up to let the dog out at 3:00 AM and decided to check email. Got interested in this discussion and stayed up the rest of the night looking at different charts, TERPS, AIM and stuff. Got cold because the thermostat was set back, decided to take a hot bath and fell asleep in the tub. :D

"DUAL VHF NAVIGATION RECEIVERS REQUIRED"

Then, in the missed approach instructions:

"...and on I-PKN Localizer NW course (303) to LINDZ INT/DBL 12.6 DME and on DBL VOR/DME R-244 to GLENO INT/DBL 22.7 DME and hold."

The DME requirement is stated in the name of the procedure (LOC/DME). Both LINDZ and GLENO are described as "INT" intersections, not GPS fixes.

Here is the data from the FAA aeronautical fixes publication:

Information on fix LINDZ
Identifier: LINDZ
Name: LINDZ
Navaid radial/DME: DBLr244.17/12.61
SXWr196.28
Fix use:
Reporting point
Published: yes
Charts: ENROUTE LOW
IAP
SID

No mention of it being a GPS fix and it was last updated 07/31/2012.

Now, as we all know, (right?) You can fly your GPS equipped, moving-map-having display with the magenta line and even couple your flight director/FMS to it, but you MUST have the dual VHF nav receivers tuned and identified and set to the appropriate courses. Otherwise you are not legally flying the procedure as published. Really.

Word.
Better information is source: the 8260-2, which you can download from the FAA's NFDC site:

LINDZ.jpg

I've never been to ASE but I think a lot of the airline traffic there is flown by the CRJ-700. It doesn't have IRUs. Just single or dual FMS with DME/DME/GPS updating. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the pilots flying them don't understand what the DME/DME portion of them actually does.
I appreciate that. Having said that, most of the commercial ops there are NetJets.

Don't know anything about the CRJ-700, but DME/DME should be disabled when using GPS.

On a practical note, I’m not shooting that approach unless I know I’m getting in. Sure, I prepare for the missed, but if I even think there’s a possibility I’ll need it, I’ve already told my pax we are going somewhere else.

Better information is source: the 8260-2, which you can download from the FAA's NFDC site:

<snipped>

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Now that I have slept, I realize that my discussion was assuming that I had no GPS or RNAV installed. Flying to "fixes" at that point would be moot.

Makes the case, doesn't it. Note the 190 KIAS limit on the GPS missed approach. That's because Order 8260.58A criteria are used instead of TERPs.

I see that speed restriction on the JEPP chart but it’s not on the GOV chart.

Disregard, I was looking at the wrong Charts

Last edited:
Are the minimums much lower? Missed Approach Point closer in?
I managed to come across a shot if it searching Google images. It's a LOC DME 15, rather than a letter, so it's a straight in rather than circling approach. Accordingly, minimums are lower. About 1,000 AGL rather than 2,000 AGL.

I managed to come across a shot if it searching Google images. It's a LOC DME 15, rather than a letter, so it's a straight in rather than circling approach. Accordingly, minimums are lower. About 1,000 AGL rather than 2,000 AGL.
Is there a nonstandard missed approach climb requirement?

Is there a nonstandard missed approach climb requirement?
Look at the Aspen Seven departure for departure minimums. 650 ft/nm to 13k, then 840 ft/ nm

It’s not that easy to visualize unless you’ve been there.

As for night approaches, the road is kinda parallel to the runway, and too many people have died because the pilots mistook the road for the runway.

Here it is. Looks like Boldmethod did a page about it.
ase-approach.jpg

Here it is. Looks like Boldmethod did a page about it.
ase-approach.jpg
Ok...325 ft/mile to 11k on the missed. Not huge, but since the MDA gets you down in the immediate vicinity of terrain (the other approaches really don't), it makes sense that you'd have to claw your way up for a bit.

The DME limit is interesting, too.

Might have to play with that in the sim, just for fun.

Ok...325 ft/mile to 11k on the missed. Not huge, but since the MDA gets you down in the immediate vicinity of terrain (the other approaches really don't), it makes sense that you'd have to claw your way up for a bit.

The DME limit is interesting, too.

Might have to play with that in the sim, just for fun.
Also, LINDZ intersection is gone. There goes your GPS missed option--they want you on the back course for sure.

Note the date on this chart. On the latest update on Foreflight, this approach no longer exists. The new one is LOC/DME-E. Or did I miss the discussion on the evolution of the approach? Wouldn’t be surprised.
You missed this part in the discussion: It's a special approach, privately created and vetted. It never has been part of the publicly-available set of approaches. You have to undergo special training and, after raining, Jepp will supply you with the approach for use. From the above chart:
upload_2019-2-24_10-46-21.png

For an example, here's FlightSafety's page to apply for the specialized training.

This is the LOC 15 in the current database. For any of you who have an IFR GPS navigator with a database that includes Colorado, you should see this:

LOC 15.jpg

If GPS can't be used to track localizers, then what is this? Do you have the chart for LOC DME RWY 15?
No. I don't have the chart. And, it's the LOC Rwy 15 because LOC/DME is obsolete naming convention. I'm sure there is a note in the Jepp briefing strip that states "DME Required."

No. I don't have the chart. And, it's the LOC Rwy 15 because LOC/DME is obsolete naming convention. I'm sure there is a note in the Jepp briefing strip that states "DME Required."
I thought the ILS/DME naming convention is what is obsolete.

Anything /DME is obsolete as of last year for new or amended procedures.
You would think they'd rather have "/DME" in the title than "DME REQUIRED" plastered in the plan view, assuming that's how they'll be revising this approach.

You would think they'd rather have "/DME" in the title than "DME REQUIRED" plastered in the plan view, assuming that's how they'll be revising this approach.
Apparently, they are going to say what DME is require for in the notes box.

That note section is becoming a real dumping ground, the titles are getting longer and the plan and profile views are covered with capital letters, asterisks and footnotes. I think the lawyers took over the asylum.
You can see the discussions in the charting forum - the guys who write the charts - about the reasons. Currently, "required" is required for the approach no matter the reason, although, if you happened to have memorized it, you can theoretically tell by where the required is written; plan view, title, or notes box. I think a lot of folks will welcome the change, although I know it's much more fun for old people to be negative about any changes and blame lawyers.

"They" decided otherwise. :) (No, it wasn't lawyers. Rather FAA operational types and pilot reps from industry.) You can probably track the history on the FAA's ACF site.

"They" decided otherwise. :) (No, it wasn't lawyers. Rather FAA operational types and pilot reps from industry.) You can probably track the history on the FAA's ACF site.
Oh I was just poking a little good-natured fun toward Mark. No doubt the ACF committee wanted to make room in the title space for easy to pronounce titles that trip right off the tongue like, "Cleared for the ILS Z or LOC Y RWY 18 approach." Say what?

That note section is becoming a real dumping ground, the titles are getting longer and the plan and profile views are covered with capital letters, asterisks and footnotes. I think the lawyers took over the asylum.

Actually the notes boxes, after years of inflation, are gradually starting to shrink at a lot of airports. The main cause of this is removing secondary altimeter source notes. So "When local altimeter setting not received, use XXX altimeter setting and increase all DAs 42 ft and visibility blah blah, all MDAs 60 feet, visibility blah blah blah" is being removed from the chart, as are any related, like "Baro-VNAV and VDP NA when using XXX altimeter setting" and "For inoperative ALS when using XXX altimeter setting, increase..." Those are the main offenders, including in the example you provide.

Ref: FAAO 8260.19H, para 8-6-9f(3)

We'll have a contest to see who falls down most. Be sure to bring our helmets!
Google "roller skating circle waltz" without the quotes, I should be at the top of the list (not to be confused with a top notch skater). No helmets required.

Google "roller skating circle waltz" without the quotes, I should be at the top of the list (not to be confused with a top notch skater). No helmets required.
Waaaayyyyy too off topic for me. But I guess I'm older. You started skating about the time I stopped.

Waaaayyyyy too off topic for me. But I guess I'm older. You started skating about the time I stopped.
It keeps you young and is way more fun than riding that toboggan down the LOC approach at ASE, landing with a tailwind and trying not to have to make a go-around. For a minuscule fraction of the cost too. Aaand, you have a lot less farther to fall.

Back